How does this new PVE format works??

Options
Why oh why? Why the sudden change now? Suddenly rubberband is off? Totally caught off guard.
Does anyone knows exactly how this new format (or temporary format) works???
Was there a notice on this change before?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Dunno how it works exactly, but I bet it's: working as intended™
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    There is still technically rubberbanding, but the scores are low enough that the multiplier never makes it very high, so the base values of missions heavily outweigh the multiplier.

This is exacerbated by the dual subs with only a handful of missions each. In this last sub, since there is only one sub and a bunch of missions, rubberbanding will be a lot more obvious.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think it's working quite well. There is no risk of dropping 200 spots in the ranking overnight for example. And some people seem to be reaching the top progression reward as well, so I guess that's good, even if I'm not one of those people.

I'm really pleased with the current state of PvE.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If there is actually rubberbanding for the recent events it's at such weak strength that it'd hardly matter.

I believe the regular rubberbanding is turned on for a select missions once the Mayhem mission goals are met. But they're only available for the hardest missions it seems (I had the Sentry team-up node saved up for the end but didn't see its point go up at all).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    I think it's working quite well. There is no risk of dropping 200 spots in the ranking overnight for example. And some people seem to be reaching the top progression reward as well, so I guess that's good, even if I'm not one of those people.

Honestly it's just too hard to gauge progression rewards correctly with rubberbanding. On one hand we have plenty of example of where nobody was even 50% of the way to the top progression rewards, which is obviously bad. But on the other hand, it's equally bad (from D3's point of view) when you've an event where the top score was more than twice the top progression reward like the last incarnation of The Hulk where pretty much everyone got the progression rewards. That is obviously not what D3 wants either. This structure is grindy, but the rewards are reachable. This is better than either never coming close to the rewards, or hope D3 accidentally screwed up their RB modifier (which happens very rarely) in your favor.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wuming79 wrote:
    Why oh why? Why the sudden change now? Suddenly rubberband is off? Totally caught off guard.
    Does anyone knows exactly how this new format (or temporary format) works???
    Was there a notice on this change before?

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to the age old question... "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?"

The World may never know...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Milkrain wrote:

Honestly it's just too hard to gauge progression rewards correctly with rubberbanding. On one hand we have plenty of example of where nobody was even 50% of the way to the top progression rewards, which is obviously bad. But on the other hand, it's equally bad (from D3's point of view) when you've an event where the top score was more than twice the top progression reward like the last incarnation of The Hulk where pretty much everyone got the progression rewards. That is obviously not what D3 wants either. This structure is grindy, but the rewards are reachable. This is better than either never coming close to the rewards, or hope D3 accidentally screwed up their RB modifier (which happens very rarely) in your favor.

Looks like this is the perfect mix for them, then, since a good chunk of people will hit progression rewards this time around but, outside of a few morons, no one is significantly lapping the top progression amount.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Teke184 wrote:

Looks like this is the perfect mix for them, then, since a good chunk of people will hit progression rewards this time around but, outside of a few morons, no one is significantly lapping the top progression amount.

You could not come up with a better word than that?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I can't really bring myself to play this event. With more emphasis on the grinding aspect, they are essentially forcing you to raise your Pve rating. This itself isn't really a problem, but to keep things manageable, you have to pick and chose your battles. After the second sub set, I was already done with this event. The reward isn't all that great to begin with. Even placing in the top 10 wouldn't be worth the effort since I would only be working for 2 covers anyways.

So I say good luck to those in this event. And don't be surprised at the start of the next event when your scaling seems a little higher than others. This event is gonna make that happen if you reach for the top here. That's (almost) guaranteed.

I miss the full effect of rubberbanding because at least that allowed me to play casually and not worry too much about refreshes, so I didn't have to make my life work around a game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    I can't really bring myself to play this event. With more emphasis on the grinding aspect, they are essentially forcing you to raise your Pve rating. This itself isn't really a problem, but to keep things manageable, you have to pick and chose your battles. After the second sub set, I was already done with this event. The reward isn't all that great to begin with. Even placing in the top 10 wouldn't be worth the effort since I would only be working for 2 covers anyways.

So I say good luck to those in this event. And don't be surprised at the start of the next event when your scaling seems a little higher than others. This event is gonna make that happen if you reach for the top here. That's (almost) guaranteed.

I miss the full effect of rubberbanding because at least that allowed me to play casually and not worry too much about refreshes, so I didn't have to make my life work around a game.

For the past few PVE event, scaling are reduce or even reset at the start of a new event. I was doing quite well in each event. Got top 10 and even top 2 with the last one. Yet my scaling is very much manageable. In fact my scaling was even better than some of my alliance member who did worst than me. How you play can really effect the how high your scaling become.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Justdangit wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:

For the past few PVE event, scaling are reduce or even reset at the start of a new event. I was doing quite well in each event. Got top 10 and even top 2 with the last one. Yet my scaling is very much manageable. In fact my scaling was even better than some of my alliance member who did worst than me. How you play can really effect the how high your scaling become.

True enough. But for the way this is setup, and the end reward, it still isn't even worth it to participate in. Aside from that, the current point system isn't "friendly" to my life schedule. At least with the full effect of rubberbanding, the system of one clear after a set amount of hours has passed, worked extremely well. Most people can't sit down for any looong stretch of time just to grind out each node 4, 5 times each, not to mention the nauseating treadmill of working the same team in as many times in a row per refresh anyways.

In a 24 hour period, for example, I would rather have played the same node 3 times with an 8 hour refresh, than 12-15 times in the same span of time.

This is the absolute wrong direction to take the Pve point system. People who have a job, or university, or any life should not be placed at a disadvantage while those that have all the time to grind each and every node gets the results weighted in their favor. That defeats the whole purpose of making the game casual, which tbh, any mobile game is and should be.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    True enough. But for the way this is setup, and the end reward, it still isn't even worth it to participate in. Aside from that, the current point system isn't "friendly" to my life schedule. At least with the full effect of rubberbanding, the system of one clear after a set amount of hours has passed, worked extremely well. Most people can't sit down for any looong stretch of time just to grind out each node 4, 5 times each, not to mention the nauseating treadmill of working the same team in as many times in a row per refresh anyways.

In a 24 hour period, for example, I would rather have played the same node 3 times with an 8 hour refresh, than 12-15 times in the same span of time.

This is the absolute wrong direction to take the Pve point system. People who have a job, or university, or any life should not be placed at a disadvantage while those that have all the time to grind each and every node gets the results weighted in their favor. That defeats the whole purpose of making the game casual, which tbh, any mobile game is and should be.

Sorry but that is just bad logic. You are saying people who put more time and effort in shouldn't be reward over people who can't?

Just because this new system isn't friendly to "your" life schedule doesn't mean it is a bad system. The game is not design for every one to win. You can still play the game casually, nothing is stopping you from doing that. You have to accept that you play a casual game you get casual reward. If you want the top reward you have to be competitive, you have to put in the effort.

This system if anything is a step in the right direction.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I agree, any system based more upon the effort you put in must be better than one where you can just 'game' the mechanics to overhaul people who have spent 10 times the amount of commitment to achieving a top rank.

The only issue I have is that getting top ranked in the subs is basically impossible if you're doing well overall due to the milder (but still existant) rubberbanding effect. Not that I really mind too much as sub rewards suck and are fairly generous in their lower limit, but it's still weird that you're part of a league ladder that you can't compete in.

Overall I've played the event regularly (every 3-5 hrs during the day, followed by sleep break) and are currently ranking 20th in my overall bracket. I don't doubt that those above me have earned their spot by putting in more commitment than I have and if I end up outside the top 20 then so be it - just as long as no-one catapults from 80th to top 20 in the last few hours (ending 5am my time... again) through gaming the rubberbanding system.

Scaling wise, fights have been on the money for me. Consistently challenging while rarely becoming unfair (I'm looking at you HT and Pyro node) if I'm using the right characters. As it happens, my MVP's in the second half of the game have definitely been Magneto MN and Classic Storm for their crowd control.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    personally i think this is the perfect amount of points for a PVE, you get to the point where the top people(read: Grinders) get to the top progression reward without it feeling like it was easy. the one tourney where the progressives were Punisher covers was a good example of being too generous with the progressives, i managed top 50 and got all the covers(1 of each) with 2 days left, by the end me and at least 500 other people in my bracket had gotten every progressive reward. While i loved it, it just felt like it was too generous, with this you still have to grind and work at getting the top progressive, and have to face 150+ opponents to do(depending on your MMR i suppose) i feel like they've gotten the perfect amount of points to progressive ratio. not totally out of reach but not too generous either.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I suspect the subs are usually won by guys who started way late to an event and thus have very favorable scaling. I have a runaway lead on #1 in my bracket and the highest sub placement I got was #3. Most of them I was never close to the #1 guy at all.

The change obviously favors those who play more, but the equality under the old rubberband system is illusory. You can't seriously expect someone plays every refresh in a rubberband-less system to actually lose to you in a rubberband system. Anyone with that kind of time can easily set up an optimal clear path and generally still win very comfortably.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Justdangit wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:

Sorry but that is just bad logic. You are saying people who put more time and effort in shouldn't be reward over people who can't?

Just because this new system isn't friendly to "your" life schedule doesn't mean it is a bad system. The game is not design for every one to win. You can still play the game casually, nothing is stopping you from doing that. You have to accept that you play a casual game you get casual reward. If you want the top reward you have to be competitive, you have to put in the effort.

This system if anything is a step in the right direction.
    The problem is that scaling is inconsistent. People who grind and are perfectly willing to deal with the scaling that comes with it, like phantron et al, are perfectly well entitled to have their less stressful 1st place finishes.

But people who have scaling so low that just having a single cover of the featured character trivializes it through match damage alone? You're not going to win a scaling contest against them
  • Unknown
    Options
    Scaling is a separate issue from the PvE structure. Even if under the old generous rubberband system, you're still likely to lose to someone with an even lower scaling than you.

I suspect if you're having problem getting a 3* cover finish, it might be good to do horrible on a couple events to get your scaling low. We know scaling is lowered at the start of every new event and it's persistent, so doing terrible makes the next event easier. I'm not sure if it's worth the risk thuogh, but if a PvE event looks particularly unpromising it might be a good idea to do next to nothing in that event.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Scaling is a separate issue from the PvE structure. Even if under the old generous rubberband system, you're still likely to lose to someone with an even lower scaling than you.

I suspect if you're having problem getting a 3* cover finish, it might be good to do horrible on a couple events to get your scaling low. We know scaling is lowered at the start of every new event and it's persistent, so doing terrible makes the next event easier. I'm not sure if it's worth the risk thuogh, but if a PvE event looks particularly unpromising it might be a good idea to do next to nothing in that event.
    RBing allows you to do decently (but not super great) with the bare minimum of scaling increases. A single clear plus a few essentials barely moves the needle at all compared to community scaling.

Whereas this event (and the last one) heavily encourage grinding, moreso than usual.

(I was going to take this event easier after killing my scaling catching back up in daken, but it was a new character again. With any luck simulator won't be)