Question on season points and replacing members

It's coming down to the wire at the end of season 1 and we have a few inactive players. If we boot and replace them, will the new players' season totals get added in or just the points they earned in the current events and those going forward?

Comments

• Riggy wrote:
    It's coming down to the wire at the end of season 1 and we have a few inactive players. If we boot and replace them, will the new players' season totals get added in or just the points they earned in the current events and those going forward?
    I assume You will get their season' totals.

Basically, alliance get the points which are shown next to a player in their own bracket. so if XYZ has 6k pts in Season1, alliance gets 6k pts for Season1.
  • I changed alliances and can confirm it works as emeryt describes
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep you will get their season totals like it works in tournaments.
    If you swap players in tournaments you will inherit their total score.
    I can't for the life of me figure out why they've made it work in this manner however.
    Surely the points that player gained while in an alliance should be kept by the alliance - and obviously towards his own season score.

And when a player joins a new alliance they should only get the points he scored while with them without inheriting previous points.
    Maybe they'll implement it to work like this in the future. Maybe not. For now I guess it's "working as intended".
  • So basically you can cheat your way to top at last day?
  • Twysta wrote:
    I can't for the life of me figure out why they've made it work in this manner however.
    Surely the points that player gained while in an alliance should be kept by the alliance - and obviously towards his own season score.

And when a player joins a new alliance they should only get the points he scored while with them without inheriting previous points.
    Maybe they'll implement it to work like this in the future. Maybe not. For now I guess it's "working as intended".
    problem with this is many people did not have an alliance when the season was started and might have joined a random one seeing the alliance rewards then changed later realizing the rest of the alliance was not putting in the same effort, that's what I did anyways, I don't feel I should be punished because I wasn't in an alliance from the start.
  • Atren wrote:
    So basically you can cheat your way to top at last day?
    how is it cheating, I doubt an alliance is going to let you in if you don't pull your own weight, and anyone who is pulling their own weight isn't going to join an alliance where the rest of the members aren't doing so.
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Twysta wrote:

Ah, but consider the following: I join Alliance "A" and run up to 900 points in the current PvP, those points are credited to Alliance "A". Then I leave and join Alliance "B". I tank my way down to 100pts - Alliance B records -800 points. I rejoin Alliance A and race back to 900 - Alliance A now has 1700pts just from one player.

OK, so to counter that you just record the points against the alliance at the completion of events; now what happens if you have someone leave in the last few hours and can't replace them immediately - the alliance is handicapped.

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be a more fair(?) way of addressing this, but Simple is often best.
  • Next scenario:
    Alliance A has 15/15 slots.
    A few events later they now have the hp to open slots 15-20.
    5 new members join.

Alliance B starts season with 20/20 members.
    Alliance remains same until end of season.

With the system of only adding points they gained while in alliances, you are essentially making new alliances and growing alliances non competitive. It would be a horrible horrible thing to implement.
  • Next scenario:
    5 new members join.

With the system of only adding points they gained while in alliances, you are essentially making new alliances and growing alliances non competitive. It would be a horrible horrible thing to implement.

Name me one team sport where individual achievements carry on to next team stat. For example football (soccer for you americans) goals scored into the team goal difference. It does not just in case wondering.
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Atren wrote:
    Next scenario:
    5 new members join.

Name me one team sport where individual achievements carry on to next team stat. For example football (soccer for you americans) goals scored into the team goal difference. It does not just in case wondering.
    Not really a valid comparison though, since in a team sport all the players are contributing to a single result in each game; here each player is essentially an individual, with those individual results summed at the end.
  • My alliance was in top 100 2 days before the season 1's original end. Then our best player left us for a Top 10 ally dropping us to rank 101. Only some hours later the next 2 high ranking members left, clearly because we weren't in the TOP 100 any longer. Now we are rank 167 with 17 members, having lost around 30k+ in points.
  • Atren wrote:
    how is it cheating, I doubt an alliance is going to let you in if you don't pull your own weight, and anyone who is pulling their own weight isn't going to join an alliance where the rest of the members aren't doing so.

Well, cheat is not the best term but it's definitely not a good thing -- people can just regroup in last minutes, alliance scores/positions shown hold no real meaning as by composition changing can gain insane amount of points in a second. We had a long thread on alliance swapping -- certainly the game ignored all the points made there and allows this to just go on.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Atren wrote:

Well, cheat is not the best term but it's definitely not a good thing -- people can just regroup in last minutes, alliance scores/positions shown hold no real meaning as by composition changing can gain insane amount of points in a second. We had a long thread on alliance swapping -- certainly the game ignored all the points made there and allows this to just go on.
    As someone who participated in that thread on alliance swapping (and was against it), I believe that thread did mention the issue I brought up here. "Kicking someone who has been inactive for X days" is not the same issue as "1 hour before the competition ends, consolidate all the top players in the network into a single alliance". There should be a way to address the 2 issues separately (assuming the devs believe that either is actually an issue in need of addressing).
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Dreylin wrote:
    Atren wrote:
    Next scenario:
    5 new members join.

Not really a valid comparison though, since in a team sport all the players are contributing to a single result in each game; here each player is essentially an individual, with those individual results summed at the end.
    That statement really is a matter of perspective. One could just as easily look at the alliance "season" as a compilation of the alliance results in each PVP. If there were no alliance result in the individual events, your point would be valid. But for an alliance like mine, which has stayed stable through the entire season, we placed as a team of the same 20 players. I don't think we would see the alliance total for the season as just the sum of 20 individual results so that we could remove our lowest-scoring member and replace him with someone else. He was part of the "team."
  • Riggy wrote:

You get their full amount as X-men received a huge boost the day they added slobofix and mikeymoney

Maybe going forward D3 will adjust scoring so you only get points you earn while in that alliance to be put towards the alliance total. Don't know how difficult that coding would be but it makes more sense as does rewards earned from an alliance event go to the members in the alliance when clock strikes 0, not when awards are finally distributed.

I also agree with what Reckless said above - Alliance season score should just be a total of the alliance score for every event. It should not be a total of the season scores of 20 individuals who are in the alliance for the last tic of the clock.
  • Dreylin wrote:
    Atren wrote:
    Next scenario:
    5 new members join.

It would work both ways. All tournaments player finished before joining would not count as well as all tournaments player finished before leaving alliance would still be there at alliance score.
  • LoreNYC wrote:

You get their full amount as X-men received a huge boost the day they added slobofix and mikeymoney

Haha FWIW the dollar is because my wife writes my initial "S" as a dollar sign. I use pounds personally! I have spent some money to fund shields and a handful of covers, but my roster largely comes from 160 days of grind.....

I can see the alliance scoring has flaws but its largely an individual game so i guess that'd D3's decision. I think there's a difference personally between building a team over a season and comstant changes too. Maybe there shouldn't be changes in the last week of a season?
  • Yeah hopefully we will see some lessons learned from season 1 and changes implemented before seasons 2 starts.

hopefully
  • Totally not looking to be snarky or anything but when you consider the interview article and their views on alliances.
    This feature could be said to be "working as intended"