Scaling - Chapter 4 Heroic and in general

Zirtak
Zirtak Posts: 92 Match Maker
I have played 5 (!) nodes in total during current Oscorp Heroic. I do have a maxed Patch. And in The Simulator my easy nodes started out at 200+.

But really: this within the first hours of the event? Really? I can not imagine that this is how pve scaling is supposed to work. Especially since there seems to be little logic in the current system. Well jolly good sir, let us tackle these enemies with 230 Patch, 50 Storm and 50 Psyduck, shall we? Good times are in the pipeline!

image.jpg

Comments

• this man has a family for crying out loud, someone help him
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I've got a similar issue... Although my scaling was similar to my husband's in the last PvE event, and we finished similarly, my enemies are 100 levels higher than his!

With my limited roster, it's a real struggle to see how I can possibly compete in this event if my scaling isn't fixed
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Edit: Moved this thread, unlocked, and changed the title to reflect the subject.
  • Zifna
    IceIX wrote:
    Edit: Moved this thread, unlocked, and changed the title to reflect the subject.

Mr. IceIX - When this got moved, I looked for it in bugs. Are you saying this is intended? I can't even play most of the maps.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    In every case that we've looked at so far, the user in question had their scaling rating reduced by the same amount as everyone else. In pure mathematical terms, it's working as intended, so it's not a bug. Is it good design? That's an entirely different thing and the reason this thread exists.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Is it good design? That's an entirely different thing and the reason this thread exists.

I think you know what everyone's answer to that is, already.

It's one thing to make the game a challenge to people with rosters full of maxed 3* characters like Patch and Classic Mags and LazyThor and a 5-blue Spiderman and so forth, but another to make it a chore and grinding nodes full of stupidly high level Juggernaut, Daken and so forth is a chore. Your designers have failed to take into consideration the amount of time and monotony these kind of nodes take to defeat. It may be "easy" in terms of health because once you have a stunlock grip you can usually win and heal at your leisure, but it's so slow and so un-fun.

I'm glad that so far I've somehow avoided scaling above level 230 except in some selected cases late in events, but I feel sorry for those who do get this. It was annoying enough in old events like Thick as Thieves to have to play basically every node at 230/230/230.
  • Zirtak
    Zhirrzh wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Is it good design? That's an entirely different thing and the reason this thread exists.

It's one thing to make the game a challenge to people with rosters full of maxed 3* characters like Patch and Classic Mags and LazyThor and a 5-blue Spiderman and so forth, but another to make it a chore and grinding nodes full of stupidly high level Juggernaut, Daken and so forth is a chore.

A chore indeed. Is it even possible to defeat 300+ Daken, Juggs and Venom with the team we have? I haven't tried it. Probably not gonna waste my time and boosts on it either.

I have probably grinded nodes in the already chorelike The Hunt too much and now I pay the price? Many others with equal or better rosters are facing way easier nodes. Don't get me wrong here: I like a challenge and I don't mind scaling in general, but this is a broken and unfair system.

So what now? Tank this pve to get playable nodes the next one?
  • Zirtak
    To prove a point here:

I just started the 326 Daken & Juggs mission for the heck/tank of it (with 120 buffed IM40, 125 buffed Thor and 90 buffed Storm). FIRST move enemy team makes: 4234 DMG to IM40. He went from 6169 to 1935 hit points in the very first turn. Good times.
  • Holy ****, again?
    You got screwed in Simulator, and sent a ticket, looks like they didn't think this is a problem.

And @IceIx, perhaps you should check out what happened to Zirtak here back at the beginning of the Simulator, cuz he got lvl300+ enemies even in the 2 nodes of the main sub
  • Zifna
    IceIX wrote:
    In every case that we've looked at so far, the user in question had their scaling rating reduced by the same amount as everyone else. In pure mathematical terms, it's working as intended, so it's not a bug. Is it good design? That's an entirely different thing and the reason this thread exists.

I have some relevant information to you, then, because you do have a bug you appear unaware of:

When I started this event, I was seeing ridiculous numbers that did not reflect reduced scaling - mobs in the 250s etc.

Re-started the app. This didn't change.

Re-started my entire phone. It changed dramatically, now showing me level 80-90 mobs instead of level 250s.

There's something wrong that isn't making the "re-set" apply to everyone. People should be informed that re-setting their phones is a potential fix and you guys need to know that people aren't whining or making this up - there was a real bug, even if it looks fine on your end.
  • Zifna wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

I have some relevant information to you, then, because you do have a bug you appear unaware of:

When I started this event, I was seeing ridiculous numbers that did not reflect reduced scaling - mobs in the 250s etc.

Re-started the app. This didn't change.

Re-started my entire phone. It changed dramatically, now showing me level 80-90 mobs instead of level 250s.

There's something wrong that isn't making the "re-set" apply to everyone. People should be informed that re-setting their phones is a potential fix and you guys need to know that people aren't whining or making this up - there was a real bug, even if it looks fine on your end.

I tried this, and it actually worked. Not on all the nodes. But on the mob nodes where there is no opp that can make moves, it almost cut them in half in strength and jumped the points up by about a third.

hmmm... Guess I'll be rebooting my phone every few hours. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Zirtak
    Tried rebooting but with no result. Daken is still lvl 326. Goons still 300+. Scaling is still broken. And ****.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    MY GOD!!!

So you guys are actually aware that it's something BAD? icon_e_wink.gif
    well that's a start... hopefully something good comes out of it EVENTUALLY icon_e_wink.gif
  • morgh
    edited May 2014
    The strangest thing just happened - I played node No more games, lost 2 heroes and won with last one at 300 HP - and the scaling actually went down :O from 178 to 160... I haven't played a node from the new sub-bracket since it released and I unlocked since the levels were just unplayable... however now (about 21-22 hours since it was released) I noticed that my levels went down across the board - highest level node - Overwatch - went down from 261 to 241 - still nothing that I can beat, but definitely something that is a good sign of at least some tweaking...

I think that it would be a good sign, if the tweaking means that your levels WILL GO DOWN if you do not play a node for a period of time AND/OR you play a node and lose (how many times though? maybe some Health lost thresholds/heroes downed counted and retreats not counted?)

My playable roster for this is:
    3/3/3 Patch level 69
    3/5/5 Thor lvl 85
    4/4/5 Magneto lvl 71
    5/3/5 Psylocke lvl 72
    5/5/3 Storm level 50
    3/5/5 Cap.A lvl 30
    5/5 Hawkeye lvl 20
  • morgh
    No changes in scaling after further 9 hours and dying several times with full squads - not willingly - just trying to defeat lvl 170 enemies...
  • Zirtak
    Same ole' for me too. Unbeatable missions, even with 230 Patchman.

I want free Daken.
  • morgh
    After some more time NOT playing, overwatch dropped from 240 to 220; No More Games dropped from 160 to 145
    Too bad it's too little, too late - missions look beatable now with proper use of boosts, proper selection of heroes and good boards but probably just a few wins are going to move the levels back up - still... better something, then nothing I guess icon_e_wink.gif
  • morgh wrote:
    No changes in scaling after further 9 hours and dying several times with full squads - not willingly - just trying to defeat lvl 170 enemies...

Scaling comes from 2 sources, personal and community and the bigger one counts. Your dying may lowered your personal considerably but the 170 may come from community. (That is also lowered but by magnitudes more losses around the world).