Tiered Abilities

Options
For characters such as IM40 and Black Widow etc, where the first level of an ability costs x amount, then when you level up that ability and it costs more because it steals/generates additional colours.

Can you change it so that you can activate it at earlier levels.
e.g if IM40 had his yellow ability at Level 5 and you had 6 yellow AP you could still cast recharge, but only have it return the red AP as per level 1 of the ability.

Comments

• Great idea. If the ability automatically used the most ap available (as opposed to being a choice) it wouldn't require UI changes. I think the problem comes in communicating this to the player properly (that they will get different results based on how much ap they have).
  • IceIX, any chance of this being considered?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    IceIX, any chance of this being considered?
    There are few things that go up in these forums that aren't brought up in conversation. Misguided's idea about just using whichever you have enough AP for is possible, but would be substandard for the reason listed immediately afterwards. People would think they had enough for their L2 but only the L1 would go off since they were misreading another color's AP and such. It'd definitely need some UI work. Would bring an interesting dynamic to the characters that have these abilities though.
  • IceIX wrote:
    There are few things that go up in these forums that aren't brought up in conversation.

Do you mean that it isn't being considered - i.e. not being brought up in the conversation?
  • IceIX wrote:
    There are few things that go up in these forums that aren't brought up in conversation. Misguided's idea about just using whichever you have enough AP for is possible, but would be substandard for the reason listed immediately afterwards. People would think they had enough for their L2 but only the L1 would go off since they were misreading another color's AP and such. It'd definitely need some UI work. Would bring an interesting dynamic to the characters that have these abilities though.

Atuomatically using the highest that you have AP for would be less useful for IM40, for example if you wanted to use two Level 2 Recharges at the same time instead of one Level 3/4/5. Or two lower level Widow AP steals when the AI doesn't have black/purple. Would need additional UI for best effect.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Sooty wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    There are few things that go up in these forums that aren't brought up in conversation.

Do you mean that it isn't being considered - i.e. not being brought up in the conversation?

I think you read it incorrectly. He means that they talk about just about everything that gets brought up in the forum (and implies that this is included.)
  • IceIX
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    I think you read it incorrectly. He means that they talk about just about everything that gets brought up in the forum (and implies that this is included.)
    Correct. The only things that aren't really considered are the ludicrous "suggestions" like having Rag pass out 5000 HP for his new level 5 ability from another thread. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Correct. The only things that aren't really considered are the ludicrous "suggestions" like having Rag pass out 5000 HP for his new level 5 ability from another thread. icon_e_smile.gif

Are you the one who notes down all these ideas and passes it down, or does the whole dev team come here and read stuff :0
  • IceIX
    Options
    Sooty wrote:
    Are you the one who notes down all these ideas and passes it down, or does the whole dev team come here and read stuff :0
    I compile stuff weekly for a little conference we have but there are devs and CS people in and out of the forums all day every day.
  • Perhaps if you were to allow the user to choose what level they want the skill to use within the screens you enter before a match for each hero (tap on the dot you want to use in the skill screen and have the description show which one is active). Have it remember your last selection. I would tend to use less expensive versions of the black widow tile stealing abilities but have bumped up the skills in order to be able to level up more.
  • IceIX wrote:

For this idea, which is great, the dev team may want to take a quick look at Street Fighter 4 or some of the SF Alpha games that (kind of) let you select whether you want to use all your energy on one big attack or multiple smaller ones.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if the player could pick each tier they want to use every time they want to use an ability.

This would mean maybe adding a power bar to run along the bottom of the ability-activation panel. I'm thinking a largish bar that runs the whole width of the panel, segmented into the number of tiers available (e.g., IM40's recharge would have 5 segments), each segment corresponding to a tier of the ability. Each available tier (i.e., tier the player has sufficient AP for) would be lit, and the player can tap on the tier they want to use.

Interface beyond that would be a little busy, as the following information would have to be conveyed somehow:
    1) That each segment of the bar corresponds to a tier (i.e., a basic explanation of what's going on).
    2) The AP cost for each tier.
    3) The effect of each tier.

#1 could be superimposed on the bar itself (depending on the size of the bar and segments).
    #2 either on the bar itself or, more likely, underneath it. Or, along with...
    #3 which would almost certainly require a second tooltip (UI bloat, yay!).

One way to display all this info -- and eliminate fat-finger mistapping of the wrong tier -- would be to have a confirmation popup similar to the one that's used with tile-changing abilities. This verification popup would have a fire button as well as info items #2 and #3.

This means that using a tiered ability would be a 3-tap process, which isn't great (or pretty, probably), but I think it's an enhancement that would be well worth the marginal inconvenience.

Personally, I'd love for this to be implemented (as it would let me use the yellow IM40 cover I have sitting in my stash). icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    The only things that aren't really considered are the ludicrous "suggestions" like having Rag pass out 5000 HP for his new level 5 ability from another thread. icon_e_smile.gif

Drats, back to the drawing board then!