Amount of points won/lost in tournaments.

Options
On several occasions I've found myself returning to the game to see that I've lost 39 points, which in no way bothers me.
What really bothers me, is that I lost 39 points to someone whose characters are all in the single digits. Alright fine, chalk it up to their skill that they can take down a team of higher level characters. Now what REALLY bothers me is when I retaliate and I get back... 2 points. AMAZING. It has happen to me a bunch of times already, while I'm here beating up on people with similar levels only to get 6 points.

Is there some specific calculation on how these points are awarded? Could some balance be achieved?

Comments

• liquidsky wrote:
    On several occasions I've found myself returning to the game to see that I've lost 39 points, which in no way bothers me.
    What really bothers me, is that I lost 39 points to someone whose characters are all in the single digits. Alright fine, chalk it up to their skill that they can take down a team of higher level characters. Now what REALLY bothers me is when I retaliate and I get back... 2 points. AMAZING. It has happen to me a bunch of times already, while I'm here beating up on people with similar levels only to get 6 points.

Is there some specific calculation on how these points are awarded? Could some balance be achieved?

Most likely what is happening is someone is attacking you with their "A" team (ie. their best characters) but then those characters get hurt so they continue playing PvP with their "B" team and since that's the last team they play with that's who is on tap when you retaliate (ie. they attacked you with their strong "A" team but you are fighting their weak "B" team).

I don't know if this is actually what is happening but it seems the most logical explanation based on my understanding of the game mechanics.
  • So what your saying is once you are done for the night just change to all lvl 1 characters so anyone that attacks you only gets 1 point from you everytime?? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Bad idea, and causes lots of negative points. Your B team will lose you more matches and push you further down in ratings. More to come back from the next day when you get up.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Options
    The amount of points won or lost seems to depend solely on current rankings and not at all on who you are fighting.

I can find a guy who's got maxed out characters and will only give me 2 points because he hasnt participated much. I can also find a guy who gives 20 points and I can kill easily, because hes played quite a lot.

You lose points on defense in the same manner. Not based on whos stronger, but whos ranked higher.
  • Firstly I'd like to say great game and it's nice to see devs responding to suggestions with patches fairly quickly.

I have a suggestion regarding points. Thought I'd add it here instead of starting a new thread since it's related.

The current system is as it should be for an adversarial game. The higher rank you are, the more skillful. So you gain less points when challenging lower ranked opponents and more points from higher ranks. Unfortunately, skill only goes one way because you can't defend yourself. This is a key flaw in the system as it stands.

What this means is, skillful players are punished in the long run. With skill, you can defeat higher level opponents and gain ranks quickly. But because you can't defend yourself, you are in effect making yourself a target for higher level teams who will have less trouble beating you than another another target of the same rank because your team is lower leveled and ai is a constant.

For example, I generally take on higher level ranked teams whenever I can(usually when they challenge me). This results in my rank going up pretty quickly but as soon as I hit the 900 range I become a hot target since I use a team of around lvl 25-30 heroes. This means that I get swamped by teams from the 600-700 rankings who are fielding much higher level teams and I lose points quickly(around 30/loss).

There's no easy fix but I though it might help if total team level difference was a factor in determining points. So you get more points for defeating a higher ranked higher leveled team than you would a higher ranked lower leveled team.

This would mean that skillful players are rewarded for taking on more difficult challenges. Those who want to target lower level teams are rewarded less.

I'm not sure how well this could be implemented and there would be math involved in determining how much of a factor team level should be but I think it would be an improvement since currently, being good tends to punish you.

Hopefully, my suggestion will be considered and even if not implemented, perhaps it will inspire a better idea. Thanks for reading!