Post-mortem of the Sandbox

Options
13»

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    How about zero sense of achievement and fun? What's the point of playing if you already have everything and can win by default?
    I don't think that cheat to win personalities care about that; their only goal is to win at all costs. I also doubt that any players outside of this board understand what the sandbox is and how it impacts their game. They likely still think that they're beating everyone else and screwing someone over.

That said, I think D3P could actually reform some, not all obviously, cheaters if they explained to them what being sandboxed actually does to their account.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    How about zero sense of achievement and fun? What's the point of playing if you already have everything and can win by default?
    I don't think that cheat to win personalities care about that; their only goal is to win at all costs. I also doubt that any players outside of this board understand what the sandbox is and how it impacts their game. They likely still think that they're beating everyone else and screwing someone over.

That said, I think D3P could actually reform some, not all obviously, cheaters if they explained to them what being sandboxed actually does to their account.

I guess so. Cheaters probably "win" and then get bored and play something else after a short while. I know I've put over 400 hours in so far (and my roster is still...lacking) and haven't gotten bored yet. I guess I just question the point of it. Oh well. icon_e_smile.gif
  • fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    I'm failing to see the downside of being caught as a cheater. I say this as someone who has a legit account on my iOS device, and a sandboxed one on my Steam account (long story).

Pros:
    Can win battles without fighting
    Can get unlimited ISO8
    Can Get unlimited HP
    Can level up characters beyond their level cap
    Can't be attached in PVP
    Can still win all rewards

Cons:
    Can't join an alliance

The one con isn't even a real con. Sure you can't get Alliance rewards, but you could buy cover packs with the unlimited HP until you get the covers that you need, then level up the covers with unlimited HP, then level the character to max. Where's the downside? Sure, you can't help alliance members get better, but do the cheaters care?

As for resetting the game, doesn't Steam Cloud and Facebook negate that? When I asked CS about wiping my sandboxed Steam account so I could start over legit they said it can't be done. I'd genuinely like to start that account over so I can level it up legit.

I think thats subjective. Everyone has its own way to have fun. As long as it doesnt ruin the other players experience, im ok with that. Sandboxing is an elegant solution as another player said it. As what Titanfall developers did, cheaters get to play with each other icon_e_smile.gif.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having their play limited to other people in sandbox would be better. See how they like seeing lvl 400 spiderman win their pvp
  • JamieMadrox
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    I know I've put over 400 hours in so far (and my roster is still...lacking) and haven't gotten bored yet. I guess I just question the point of it. Oh well. icon_e_smile.gif
    I have no idea how many hours I've put in (iOS doesn't tell you), but it has to be a lot. I played for over a month, grinding on the early PVE nodes to get 20 ISO8/node to level my 1* up to max and make a run at finishing the Prologue. I had a good transition going from 1* to 2* (Lvl 46 2* Thor, etc) and was about to finish up the Prologue with all rewards and a ton of extra ISO8, HP, and covers when a Facebook glitch nerfed my account back to all 1* characters and no level higher than 14. That was 3 weeks ago and in the time I've been waiting for some sort of resolution, I've been grinding away again trying to get back some semblance of my former glory.

I love every second of it; good and bad.
  • I definitely would not spend money on a second account if my first account was unfairly banned. And I would not just send in one ticket then shrug when they do not get back to me - I would keep ticketing them until I got my account back.
  • Considering how much $ it costs to "bring up to speed" a fresh account, this is kinda fishy...
  • JamieMadrox
    Options
    I definitely would not spend money on a second account if my first account was unfairly banned. And I would not just send in one ticket then shrug when they do not get back to me - I would keep ticketing them until I got my account back.
    Agreed. This is why I've submitted a ticket, sent a PM to D3PCS on here, and emailed them twice for updates after they responded to me. Sadly it's still been 3 weeks and no resolution or indication of how my ticket is going. I guess my progress is forever lost. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Having their play limited to other people in sandbox would be better. See how they like seeing lvl 400 spiderman win their pvp

THIS! A most perfect solution.
  • rowaasr13 wrote:
    Considering how much $ it costs to "bring up to speed" a fresh account, this is kinda fishy...

Agreed but I could also see it as possible for it to happen depending on how the detection system works.

For example lets say someone starts up an account and drops $200-$300 on ISO and HP then spends it maxing (or getting close to) 1 or more 3* and a 2*. Again depending on how the detection system works that person might get flagged as having an higher level roster than the system expects from a day 1 player.

I'd like to think in that scenario it would be easy to prove and get sorted though.

For me whats most fishy (even ignoring the previous "incorrect" ban) is that the person has supposedly spent money, been unfairly banned, but is then shrugging and saying I cant be bothered. Tickets raised via the email address that can be found on the forum seem to get answered relatively quickly and if your a genuine player I dont see what you lose by following that route.