Post-mortem of the Sandbox

Options

Comments

• fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, the question i have is, where is the possible cheat? im not beign naive, im asking frankly. He had a decent (more than decent) roster, the best one of the alliance i think, but not every character was lvl 141, and he was trying to get that black psylocke cover. So, if its not infinite hp/iso, what other cheats are out there?
    I liked the guy, so we will keep his spot open for a while waiting for a positive outcome, but... yeah, we'll think about that later.
  • As for erring on the side of safety before banning, I've unjustly flagged after spending 30 bucks in order and chaos duels card game before. I emailed in to ask and they checked before unbanning me and saying it was their mistake. I promptly applied for a refund since gameloft admitted it wasn't my fault it happened after investigating, they banned me again after the refund went through. Just saying it does happen sometime, if you spent money you can get apple to refund it via the support email. It depends on weather you want to continue playing or not if you were legitimately unjustly banned. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • ichijuan wrote:
    Well, the question i have is, where is the possible cheat? im not beign naive, im asking frankly. He had a decent (more than decent) roster, the best one of the alliance i think, but not every character was lvl 141, and he was trying to get that black psylocke cover. So, if its not infinite hp/iso, what other cheats are out there?
    I liked the guy, so we will keep his spot open for a while waiting for a positive outcome, but... yeah, we'll think about that later.

During the last tournament SHIELD has been on the case of a couple of guys who would attack their lvl ~140 rosters with level ~20 characters and win twice in the time it took the SHIELD guys to finish a match, so there's apparently some kind of damage-boosting or instant-win cheat out there
  • davecazz wrote:
    so if being in the sandbox means that you can fight whoever you want, but no one can fight you. and they will not retaliate against you because they dont see you hitting them.

isn't this like the best thing ever???

except for not being able to contribute to your alliance?

They don't get any PVP rewards either though, right? What about PVE?
  • fedlex20
    Options
    Viorala wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    so if being in the sandbox means that you can fight whoever you want, but no one can fight you. and they will not retaliate against you because they dont see you hitting them.

isn't this like the best thing ever???

except for not being able to contribute to your alliance?

They don't get any PVP rewards either though, right? What about PVE?

I think they get everything, they just dont affect the rest of the players in any way
  • Im sandboxed basically we can't join alliances but we get all awards fight our way to top if want to still and never worry about losing points
  • fedlex20
    Options
    Im sandboxed basically we can't join alliances but we get all awards fight our way to top if want to still and never worry about losing points

But you cant get attacked, right?
  • Im sandboxed basically we can't join alliances but we get all awards fight our way to top if want to still and never worry about losing points

Oh.
  • No you can't get attacked but now with Alliance awards you can't get them either so like torch i could not win a red cover but with the app i use I have unlimited Iso and hp so don't mind as much
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Say it ain't so. The last place I would've looked for a cheater was the care bear alliance! Maybe that was the genius...

As others have said, I doubt your alliance was targeted. Who would hate on Care Bears?! "Curse their good non competitive nature and happy disposition!" But it does seem very fishy that this person would get booted twice for spending money when lots of people spend money. I assume they see who's spent money, who's been sleeping, who's been naughty or nice, etc. so for this to happen twice seems very suspicious but who are we to judge

I'm pro Care Bears. Care Bear punisher, care bear green lantern, and care bear tummy hadouken are some of my favorite signatures. If this is a mistake I hope it gets straightened out. If not, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding another good person to fill the role.
  • No you can't get attacked but now with Alliance awards you can't get them either so like torch i could not win a red cover but with the app i use I have unlimited Iso and hp so don't mind as much

So basically you still cheat, even after IceIX said we should give you a chance since you had supposedly reformed and started a new account.

Real winner here.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    If I was wrongly sandboxed and I was invested financially/emotionally, I would do all in my power to try to make things right. I would not start over and invest more $ into a system that has treated me unjustly

Basically this. Someone who paid money and got screwed wouldn't pay money into the game again.
  • I'm pro Care Bears. Care Bear punisher, care bear green lantern, and care bear tummy hadouken are some of my favorite signatures. If this is a mistake I hope it gets straightened out. If not, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding another good person to fill the role.
    **cough** take Bowgentle and His wife **cough**
  • I think the issue is more of a "is there a mistake?" and asking for the reason a player was deemed cheating and sandboxed than a discussion about cheating or whether an alliance was being targeted.

While I trust the devs won't sandbox a player without sufficient proof, it doesn't mean that mistakes will never happen. And so far the thing with sandboxing is that no one beyond the devs knows why a player was sandboxed. What I wonder about is if A decided to report B out of personal displeasure maybe over a forum post or just a retaliation match gone wrong, what are the chances of B being mistakenly sandboxed and if B does get mistakenly sandboxed, is it possible to be unsandboxed?

If someone I know from an alliance suddenly get sandboxed, I would likely wish to know under what reason(s) as well. It would help clear/confirm any doubts I have and help with the acceptance that that person was actually cheating. It would also help alliance leaders better filter their members as well.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    I'm pro Care Bears. Care Bear punisher, care bear green lantern, and care bear tummy hadouken are some of my favorite signatures. If this is a mistake I hope it gets straightened out. If not, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding another good person to fill the role.
    **cough** take Bowgentle and His wife **cough**
    Wait, what...?
    Innaresting to come in here and read that icon_e_confused.gif
    We're happy in our alliance for now, covers come rolling in, life is good icon_e_smile.gif
  • fedlex20
    Options
    eclyspe wrote:
    I think the issue is more of a "is there a mistake?" and asking for the reason a player was deemed cheating and sandboxed than a discussion about cheating or whether an alliance was being targeted.

While I trust the devs won't sandbox a player without sufficient proof, it doesn't mean that mistakes will never happen. And so far the thing with sandboxing is that no one beyond the devs knows why a player was sandboxed. What I wonder about is if A decided to report B out of personal displeasure maybe over a forum post or just a retaliation match gone wrong, what are the chances of B being mistakenly sandboxed and if B does get mistakenly sandboxed, is it possible to be unsandboxed?

If someone I know from an alliance suddenly get sandboxed, I would likely wish to know under what reason(s) as well. It would help clear/confirm any doubts I have and help with the acceptance that that person was actually cheating. It would also help alliance leaders better filter their members as well.

I think you nailed it with the acceptance thing. Should the alliance know the reasons? dont know. Its only a game, but a bit "closure" may be welcome.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm failing to see the downside of being caught as a cheater. I say this as someone who has a legit account on my iOS device, and a sandboxed one on my Steam account (long story).

Pros:
    Can win battles without fighting
    Can get unlimited ISO8
    Can Get unlimited HP
    Can level up characters beyond their level cap
    Can't be attached in PVP
    Can still win all rewards

Cons:
    Can't join an alliance

The one con isn't even a real con. Sure you can't get Alliance rewards, but you could buy cover packs with the unlimited HP until you get the covers that you need, then level up the covers with unlimited HP, then level the character to max. Where's the downside? Sure, you can't help alliance members get better, but do the cheaters care?

As for resetting the game, doesn't Steam Cloud and Facebook negate that? When I asked CS about wiping my sandboxed Steam account so I could start over legit they said it can't be done. I'd genuinely like to start that account over so I can level it up legit.
  • I'm failing to see the downside of being caught as a cheater. I say this as someone who has a legit account on my iOS device, and a sandboxed one on my Steam account (long story).

Pros:
    Can win battles without fighting
    Can get unlimited ISO8
    Can Get unlimited HP
    Can level up characters beyond their level cap
    Can't be attached in PVP
    Can still win all rewards

Cons:
    Can't join an alliance

The one con isn't even a real con. Sure you can't get Alliance rewards, but you could buy cover packs with the unlimited HP until you get the covers that you need, then level up the covers with unlimited HP, then level the character to max. Where's the downside? Sure, you can't help alliance members get better, but do the cheaters care?

As for resetting the game, doesn't Steam Cloud and Facebook negate that? When I asked CS about wiping my sandboxed Steam account so I could start over legit they said it can't be done. I'd genuinely like to start that account over so I can level it up legit.

How about zero sense of achievement and fun? What's the point of playing if you already have everything and can win by default?
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the sandboxing of those cheating is a pretty elegant solution it allows them to have all the things they want without taking them away from the rest of us.

One thing that does concern me is the sort of hysterical "She's a Witch!" that has been going on. I laughed about it yesterday morning when on another thread a new forum poster called out the S.H.I.E.L.D alliance as a cheating alliance. I like a lot of others laughed a lot at that. But what worries me a bit is what if it was the MMML alliance without well-known players would that group have been cut some slack?

I know of one case where a player was sandboxed after being called out as a cheater because his roster took a significant sudden jump. He had spent heavily during the HP/Iso sale and that was the reason for the jump. A new forum poster called him out as a cheat, reported him and he was sandboxed. This is what bothers me D3 should've had the ability to see he had spent the money, or not, and replied to whoever put in the ticket. They instead acted first and put the player through 48 hours of having to clear their name. Which they eventually did and reinstated him but it shouldn't be guilty until proven innocent.

I am waiting for some new player to look at my roster and call me a cheater and I hope D3 doesn't just label me guilty and sandbox me.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    How about zero sense of achievement and fun? What's the point of playing if you already have everything and can win by default?

I would say that the ability to test out maxed out teams in a sandboxed environment would let you find out which teams you like playing with, then you use your legit account to get that team you want. Y'know, a sandbox - let's you try things out without affecting others.

That being said, I don't have the cheat.