Alliances (Large) Poll

Options
Unknown
edited April 2014 in MPQ Alliances
I've been thinking about alliances a lot lately. As a mid-tier hardcore player (I woke up at 4am for Unstable ISO end of event) and a founder of the Liquid alliance (6/6) I can't figure out how you ever manage to grow your alliance unless A) you save up HP for quite some time; B) buy with real money; C) are and have been here from the start and therefore have top-tier rosters and no difficulty placing high in all events.

I'm not sure I've covered all scenario of how you might join a major alliance so please add any other in comments below.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• It would be weird if someone chose "I cheated". lol.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I founded Reign of Magus and paid for all 15 additional slots, some of the HP came from tournament wins and a good chunk of it I got from IAP.

I still love the game so I have no problem supporting the Developer/Publisher with an occasional IAP
  • AdamMagus wrote:

I still love the game so I have no problem supporting the Developer/Publisher with an occasional IAP

I have no issue with paying the devs. But with alliances it does feel like a "pay-to-win-(more) and P.S. we've removed some of the rewards that anyone could win and now only THE best will get them".

One possible idea that could help the situation out is if alliance members could pool their HP in order to buy new slots. That way if 5 members pitch in 50 HP after each event then eventually you would be able to afford them without paying.
    It would be weird if someone chose "I cheated". lol.

I thought I'd add it for anyone that might not be very bright icon_razz.gif
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I posted a response to your "rich get richer" thread, so I won't repeat it here. But as I said there, I think you are overstating the effects of alliances. If anything, more people have chances to get three covers than they did under the old system. Yes, expanding an alliance requires an investment of HP, but 500 HP equals $2.50 if you use the "Stark Salary" exchange rate of 20,000 HP for $100. Is that really so much? Plenty of alliances have managed to expand, so that really does not seem to be the obstacle you are making it out to be.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I joined an alliance early and ponied up for a few slots...I view it as paying it forward. I very much enjoy this game and have made IAP's in the past and will continue to do so. Other than the Simpsons Tapped Out, this is the longest I have ever played a mobile game...and I've never spent $$ on that one.

Having a kickstarter for the alliances would have helped with the slot additions, but it's pretty obvious that it was also not a deterrent for people to join.

Now I want to see loans and transfers...example, An alliance member loans me their 141 mags for an event. I don't think this would ever happen, but it would be quite interesting.
  • DecoyDuck
    DecoyDuck Posts: 620
    Options
    AdamMagus wrote:
    I founded Reign of Magus and paid for all 15 additional slots, some of the HP came from tournament wins and a good chunk of it I got from IAP.

That's the same way CareBearStare was founded/funded. And we have a variety of roster levels, so I think, even in our little space, we're helping to spread some "wealth" with alliance wins. I don't like to mention about funding all the additional spots, but AdamMagus broke the ice... so thanks AdamMagus.
  • I founded Double Trouble and I paid for all slots but one (a member paid for his friend's slot). I started the alliance so I could play with my husband, who was just starting out. We're having a blast and it's cheaper than most of the stupid stuff I spend money on icon_e_smile.gif We have all different levels in our alliance and we consistently place top 50. I think it's pushed a lot of us to play more and aim for higher scores. I don't think that's a bad thing!
  • I founded the Laboratory and bought slot 8 with saved HP and slot 12 with $10 worth of IAP, first money I have spent on the game.

Some of our members have bought 1-2 slots some are in free we are currently size 13 hoping to grow more as time goes on.