Alliance qualifications: roster strength or activity?

Options
2»

Comments

• Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did the majority of the recruiting for my alliance, main things I was looking for was, is the person active in game and forum. I also very openly told people we didn't want jerks. Ultimately this is a game and I'm not interested in it becoming ultra competitive. Like django I think we're good on accident. We had people leave the alliance without saying anything after the first tournament and now we have a waiting list!

Our alliance is basically people who enjoyed our ridiculous gimmick so much they were willing to buy slots to join. We don't have uber lineups, I think only one or two of us have multiple 141s. We're just people that play consistently and appreciate a good stabbin'
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wouldn't call mine a "top alliance" but I did almost all the recruiting so I'll answer the question anyway. In order of importance:

Requirements
    1. Don't be a jerk. I don't care if someone scores a thousand points every tournament; I don't want to be associated with people who are jerks.

2. Have the same values as the rest of the organization. If we all want to be casual, and you're hardcore, eventually we're going to part ways, and it may not be pleasant; either way it's no way to build for the long term.

3. Contribute. I don't expect anyone to carry the team but I also don't expect anyone to freeload. Pull your weight, whether that means chipping in for a roster slot or getting as many points as you can with the roster and time that you have. Also, be part of the discussion thread.

Nice to have
    1. Sociability. If we're going to spend time and effort together, I prefer to spend it with people I like and want to talk to.

2. Talent, as represented by either a high-level roster or consistently high scores in PvP

A high-level roster is a proxy for people who are willing to put in time and/or money. High scores in PvP generally represent people who are willing to put in effort and/or understand game mechanics well. Both tend to be sustainable. I don't value high scores in PvE as much as they tend to be achievable by people willing to grind, which doesn't translate to PvP very well.

Not to get all meta on anyone, but this is how I would recruit for any other organization too.

I made a big chunk of the recruiting and i followed this blueprint.. More than rosters we wanted active people we enjoyed spending time with.. I can understand that its not real life and that people cant play 24h a day just to reach a certain sum of points.. Its just a game.. And it should stay fun..
  • If the player purchases himself a slot and becomes a commander there is no way to get rid of him. Additionally, there is also no way to know if that player will be active 1 month from now or if he does not play optimally, without using "Big Brother" tactics with performance reports and screenshots. So I decided to let people now we had slots open and welcomed everyone who applied. icon_e_smile.gif We are casual players anyway so there is no reason to lose sleep over this. However, we have players with great personalities and attitude so I consider myself lucky.