Skill Use Limit : A Shot at Solving PermaStun & PermaTurns

Options
I will get a lot of hatred for this :p

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but my searchs returned no similar results..

Anyway, I just now tasted the power of CMag and Spidey, how they can permastun and permaturn with their skills.. It was awesome, I'm loving it.. But still I don't think those are the true intention of their skill design.. Many has tried suggesting adjustments to address the problem, but nothing seems satisfying so far..

So, I'm suggesting a limit be put on how many skills can be used before the player must make a match and allow the enemy tonproceed.. I'm thinking of the number 3 somehow, so if after 3 use of CMag blue or combinations of other skills, the player must make a match and the turn will end, thus giving the opposing team a chance to retaliate somehow.. The same will happen for Spidey, as he can only stun 3 times before having to make a match and letting the game continue, though maybe it won't be as effective for Spidey..

So, what do you guys think? icon_e_biggrin.gif sorry for the bad english, not a native speaker here.. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• This would destroy a lot of people, I like where the thought is coming from but ouch.

My preferred play style with Psylocke is to save up many reds and blacks and then unleash them all at once, which can be as many as 9 abilities all in a row(12 if you count bewilders), none of which generate ap so cannot be chained indefinitely.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I fail to understand why this is a problem. Board control is a key element of the game. If you can set up the board for a lengthy turn due to accumulated AP, that's good strategy. Yes, it sucks to be on the receiving end of a long turn that wipes out a character or two, but it's part of the game. And the AI is far less effective at stacking skills than a half-decent player, so it is to our benefit to keep that ability. Why would anyone want to arbitrarily restrict the use of powers is beyond me.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think there are better ways to balance two characters before nerfing the entire game.
  • Your solution for Spidey still wouldn't work.

In one turn I would stun the whole team (for 1, 2 and 3 turns). Then get a free turn (to match more blue) and then stun that one-turned person for 4 turns. Etc etc.

You would have to limit him to one stun per turn. But all that would do is just slightly slow down his stun-lock, it wouldn't prevent it. Because the AI is too stupid to recognize web tiles as a threat. Which would dramatically decrease Spidey's effectiveness if they ever changed that.
  • that wouldn't be quite fair then for other heroes. you can save up to 30 red and blast rags ability 5 times right now but limiting a number of times you can use a skill....its already limited by the maximum of 30 in any color pool.

I think the main issue of course is that they are too quick, too fast, and not really too powerful but can create a non-stop chain. I would love to be able to do it (i don't have have a maxed in either). It's just the current meta. They are on the list to be reviewed and changed but as to when...dunno. so for now...enjoy how awesome they are...who knows. perhaps bagman might get a big boost and he may become the new meta (would have been a good april fools joke...make all of his abilities cost 1...even then he's useless)
  • Here is another equally dreadful thought to consider.... resistances.

Would 230 mooks be perma-stunnable if they could resist the stun from a 141 Spidey (or lower)?

Also... this would have quite a chilling effect on rosters to require leveling up characters to maximize the chances of landing status effects, as well as provide another reason to obtain higher-star characters.

"Can't lock down 230s with that 141 Spidey? Well then, sounds like you need the new 4**** stunner/crowd controller to go with your IW and X-Force! Win one today!"

Food for thought... /gulp
  • I wonder if they could add resistances or nullifiers as a tile. We've already got the invisibility tile. Put down tiles that while they are on the board, you can't add other effect tiles to the board. (So spidey could still stun, but wouldn't add the web tiles that makes the stuns chainable). On the extreme you (or the enemies) could put down a tile that prevents you from using abilities until you destroy it, though that seems like it might bleed into the un-fun experience when the random placement lands it in a corner that's near impossible to get a match to.
  • The only sure way to avoid taking way too many turns is the dreaded 'ends your turn' penalty.
  • How about we quit cluttering up the general sub forums with suggestions and ohh i dunno put them in the suggestions sub forum?
  • because no one reads the suggestion forums icon_lol.gif
    Seriously though most good discussions happen here even if they "should" be somewhere else.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    How about we quit cluttering up the general sub forums with suggestions and ohh i dunno put them in the suggestions sub forum?

I think OP meant this to be a discussion and not a pure "hey devs, this is my suggesion" type of topic that is more suited for suggestions sub forum.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    How about we quit cluttering up the general sub forums with suggestions and ohh i dunno put them in the suggestions sub forum?

I think OP meant this to be a discussion and not a pure "hey devs, this is my suggesion" type of topic that is more suited for suggestions sub forum.

And going by that logic the tourney discussions which have historically been the most chatted in topics would be here in general as well but they also have their own sub forum.
    At some point one tends to get sick of seeing this subject over and over again.
    So actually i'll just Quote IceIX
    IceIX wrote:
    Argh, you dragged up a two week old topic when there was already one discussing the same basic thing AND I'm consolidating conversation into one thread. This thread was made for lockin' and that's just what I'll do. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5307
  • I'll agree with you on this specific topic being one that has been brought up in different forms many a time and doesn't always need a whole new thread.

I am still disagreeing with you that having discussions about suggestions should always be relegated to a subforum that gets 10x less traffic than this one.
  • Your standard issue Cooldown Timer would probably better than a hard cap on the number of powers you can use per turn. Cooldown Timers could be set per power, and could be good dial for the developers to turn when balancing powers.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    The only sure way to avoid taking way too many turns is the dreaded 'ends your turn' penalty.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Magneto's blue and Spidey's blue. If he is otherwise unchanged I'd take that Magneto any day of the week. The red would simply suck if it ended his turn though, that one needs a different rework.
  • "adds a 1 turn countdown timer that locks the use of that skill"

Usable once then have to make a match or destroy the countdown or use hood's black or something to shoot more than once a turn