I will assume I have failed at Tanking

Options
2»

Comments

• ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had quite a few people "lose" to my tank team during this week's LRs when, after checking their roster, they blatantly shouldn't have. Do you think there's confusion about how to tank, ie some still think you can withdraw to place your team in the firing line, or is it done out of spite towards people trying to do it? icon_e_sad.gif
  • I had quite a few people "lose" to my tank team during this week's LRs when, after checking their roster, they blatantly shouldn't have. Do you think there's confusion about how to tank, ie some still think you can withdraw to place your team in the firing line, or is it done out of spite towards people trying to do it? icon_e_sad.gif

I think a lot of people misjudge who their tank team is capable of defeating, misjudge, and find their bagman team loses to your bagman team. It's how I lost to HAIGUYZDOOM that one time.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I had quite a few people "lose" to my tank team during this week's LRs when, after checking their roster, they blatantly shouldn't have. Do you think there's confusion about how to tank, ie some still think you can withdraw to place your team in the firing line, or is it done out of spite towards people trying to do it? icon_e_sad.gif

I think a lot of people misjudge who their tank team is capable of defeating, misjudge, and find their bagman team loses to your bagman team. It's how I lost to HAIGUYZDOOM that one time.
    Is that the one with the high level Jug/Venom? It's no slouch!
  • Last LR I arrived late, past seed teams. Tried to find a tang team to inject mine, but nothing, so eventually decided to fight a full mstorm/mbw team. Used my own 50 storm/20 mbw team.

Now, the interesting part is this team collected way more attacks than my usual tank team with 16 bagman+20 DD.

People seem to just like punching fine ladies meanwhile aware of getting their nuts kicked...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    The best seed team to beat with your tank team is freerange, he always has lvl 1 mBW + mStorm, which is quite low HP combined. Always leave him or similar seed teams for last when intending to tank.
  • The game queues about 8 or so guys ahead of time long before you even step into the PvP matchup. This is why you can see seed teams still show up long after a LR has started, or that you can see shielded opponents show up after they're shielded, because they were already in your queue before the guy was shielded. There might be some actions that causes the previously queued up guys to reset, because sometimes you do see the seed teams just vanish after the first match too, though it's impossible to verify if this is also true with players.
  • I had quite a few people "lose" to my tank team during this week's LRs when, after checking their roster, they blatantly shouldn't have. Do you think there's confusion about how to tank, ie some still think you can withdraw to place your team in the firing line, or is it done out of spite towards people trying to do it? icon_e_sad.gif

I've noticed many people make similar comments. Your confusion stems from a change in the way we tank now. Tanking used to mean you get a bunch of points in a tourney you don't care about and then throw a match with a bad team and get hit a lot. This is no longer the optimal way to tank.

These days people go into shield training and continuously retreat, killing their weaker characters or their whole roster. Mmr seems to be calculated based on win/lose ratio and a retreat is a loss. Mmr carries over between different pvp events, so it is now possible to maul a bunch of teams in a tourney you want to win and then go to shield training and tank. You keep all your hard earned points while still being able to face low level teams. Best of all you are less likely to face retaliations because low level teams can't beat many high level teams.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Edit: removed by author
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shamusyeah wrote:

I've noticed many people make similar comments. Your confusion stems from a change in the way we tank now. Tanking used to mean you get a bunch of points in a tourney you don't care about and then throw a match with a bad team and get hit a lot. This is no longer the optimal way to tank.

These days people go into shield training and continuously retreat, killing their weaker characters or their whole roster. Mmr seems to be calculated based on win/lose ratio and a retreat is a loss. Mmr carries over between different pvp events, so it is now possible to maul a bunch of teams in a tourney you want to win and then go to shield training and tank. You keep all your hard earned points while still being able to face low level teams. Best of all you are less likely to face retaliations because low level teams can't beat many high level teams.
    Oh That's why it wasn't working. I was beating a dozen fights for every half dozen losses my tank team took. Didn't retreats used to not count for tanking, it was all about HP lost? So it was just as effective to just suicide your whole team rather than retreating?
  • Hp loss is one of the many considerations for pve tanking.