Rate My D

Options
...efense

Have you ever been picking between several options for which team to use, but not actually know which was scariest on defense? I know I have. Even if you're 100% sure about what team is scariest defensively, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what everyone else thinks for whether you get attacked or not. Plus, what you're afraid of is influenced by your personal roster, so the masses might have different feelings.

This thread is for you to post your defensive options, and then for others to say which they'd least like to fight. It'd be helpful when people respond to tell what type of player they are (1*, 1*->2*, 2*, 2*->3*, 3* is a good place to start) to put their comments in context.

I'll start:

2* Thor 4/5/4 lvl. 85
2* Wolverine 5/5/3 lvl. 85

I usually use these two and the boosted character. It's possible one of my other options is better though

2* Captain America 3/5/5 lvl. 85
Daken 5/5 lvl. 69
2* Black Widow 3/5/3 lvl. 69
3* Magneto 3/1/3 lvl. 66

I also don't know which of these should be my third when there isn't a required character.

Comments

• jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks kinda small. Everyone's gonna be laughing at you. You need something that'll leave 'em Thor. Something big and strong.

Alright I ran out of innuendo. I usually get more defensive wins running Thor and Daken, than I do running Astonishing Wolverine and OBW. Denying green just triggers Daken's passive, and eventually Thor will generate green.

In a No Holds Barred tournament, Thor, Daken, and OBW with 5 on espionage can be a very strong combo. You will need to find a substitute for Daken if its a hero only event, like Fearless Defenders.
  • I wouldn't think twice about walkin over you but I have a 3* roster. Get you an OBW and you can't do too much better 2* wise though.
  • I've talked about this in a different thread but this is new. (I promise, it's new info!) I recently used:

2* OBW 3/5/5 lvl 85
    3* Doctor Doom 5/5 lvl 115
    3* Daredevil 5/4/4 around lvl 85 at the time, also I know, I just haven't gotten the red cover yet

And it was the first time I actually got anywhere at all in a LIghtning Round. Not only that but I made top 10. But the most important thing to note was that I was getting challenged and the challengers were losing. I'm guessing the AI focused on using Daredevil while the challengers were focusing on downing Doom or OBW. But I was right about the defense.

eta: Oh yeah and abacus, get an Original Black Widow, no arguments.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    2*->3* here: just shifted from Thorverine + OBW to LThor + BP + OBW.

I don't field a different team specifically for defense. Thorverine + OBW worked pretty well on both ends.
    However, out of all 2* teams, the following team composition is the one I essentially auto-skip: Ares/Daken + OBW + Thor/AWolv, all maxed/near-max
  • Viorala wrote:
    I've talked about this in a different thread but this is new. (I promise, it's new info!) I recently used:

2* OBW 3/5/5 lvl 85
    3* Doctor Doom 5/5 lvl 115
    3* Daredevil 5/4/4 around lvl 85 at the time, also I know, I just haven't gotten the red cover yet

And it was the first time I actually got anywhere at all in a LIghtning Round. Not only that but I made top 10. But the most important thing to note was that I was getting challenged and the challengers were losing. I'm guessing the AI focused on using Daredevil while the challengers were focusing on downing Doom or OBW. But I was right about the defense.

eta: Oh yeah and abacus, get an Original Black Widow, no arguments.

But oddly enough I've actually found DD rounds to be the least competitive for Top 25 cause everyone wants to get a Diabolical Token off it. And sometimes you have to check whether they are tanking off you or they really lost to you (if you recognise the names and they're 3* users, they're tanking). Same advice as before though, you're only covering 4 colours with your team, and the use of Summon Demons will remove your Ambush (assuming only 6 red tiles available on board)... DD just doesn't seem to synergise well.
  • jojeda654 wrote:
    Looks kinda small. Everyone's gonna be laughing at you. You need something that'll leave 'em Thor. Something big and strong.

Alright I ran out of innuendo. I usually get more defensive wins running Thor and Daken, than I do running Astonishing Wolverine and OBW. Denying green just triggers Daken's passive, and eventually Thor will generate green.

In a No Holds Barred tournament, Thor, Daken, and OBW with 5 on espionage can be a very strong combo. You will need to find a substitute for Daken if its a hero only event, like Fearless Defenders.
    You ran out of innuendos? About Ds? INCONCEIVABLE.

For starters the sooner you pump your D up from this: 8**D to this 8***D the better off you will be. The amount of time you can stay up without going down is probably the most important thing, so think hp. The longer you last the better the D. If you can't use a 8***D properly because you can't stay up then it doesn't matter how great your D looks though, so those underleveled shriveled looking 3*** need to get a little thicker. For now stick your iso NOWHERE. Start building up your iso nut so you can drop that Allllll over fishnets once you get the chance....cuz scarjo is a babe. Err, I mean because obw is hands down the strongest 2**D supporter in the game with those pillow-like....err...carrying on. Magneto can't stay up long enough yet, but when he can get to about 80+ you can start dropping him into teams of people and you'll ...come out smiling, though they might not. Magneto doesn't look menacing, but every once in a while he builds up that purple and boom...ectoplasm
    everywhere like a Ghostbusters finale.

That said, the length of your roster IS important. Some ppl don't seem to think so, but they are lying to themselves...it is. You even mention why, because you need a forced character so often. Having a mid or higher lvl guy is a huge boon for those. To that effect, 2 mains and a lot of more evenly leveled characters is best.

All of this doesn't matter because the Ov...offense just has such an inherent advantage that its probably going to trash your D anyway. Beak it in half even. So don't get down if you get shut down again and again and again. It only takes one to to make all the work on your D worth it.

@viorala: doom is hella injected for lr. Those baby demons hurt, a lot. Obw gets all jock strap on tha support with the fact she can steal and build black. Regardless of all that, one strong character and obw is all you need to sometimes get lucky wins, especially If your D is comparable to thier O due to being in a decent mmr. One lucky purple cascade on turn 4-8 and you are instantly behind the 8 ball. The daredevil likely wasn't a huge part of the equation, but he also can help mess up what they are doing once he gets some times on the board...something obw helps to do.
  • 8===========D ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~