Authority Of The Consuls nerf

Options
Janosik
Janosik Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
edited 6 March 2024, 20:06 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Ok, so what's going on here?

Fixed: Authority Of The Consuls disabling ‘Enters the battlefield’ abilities, which breaks the game’s trigger priority rules.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/89941/release-notes-6-5-0-released-updated-03-05-24#latest

On the one hand, thanks for reading the way that the rules have been written, and implementing them accordingly! Oktagon weren't so good at that. (Although, this card is so old, it's card text might have been written before the current version of the rules!)

On the other hand.. this is actually a drastic reduction in the power level of this card. A very important part of it's ability is that it stops Enter the Battlefield effects! What did you think we were doing with it... only using it against creatures with haste, for that one turn when it mattered?

So how about this: can you reword it so that it works the same way it used to, but is written in accordance with the current rules, please?

Here's an example of what you could change the card text to:

Creatures your opponent controls enter the battlefield disabled until the end of your next turn.
When a creature your opponent controls enters the battlefield, gain 1 life.

Thanks!

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah...while I appreciate the motivation here, it's always felt to me that the card was acting as intended. This just relegates it to the dustbin.

• BrSchnitz
    BrSchnitz Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options

Exactly what everyone else said. In this case the card seemed to work as intended. The interpretation of the effect was written poorly. The card seemed to work properly the way it was.

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

Stopping effects from triggering when creatures enter the battlefield is, like, the whole point of the card.

• Janosik
    Options

@Sarah said:
    Stopping effects from triggering when creatures enter the battlefield is, like, the whole point of the card.

I wouldn't say it's the entire point of the card, it still now works against cards and effects that play tokens every single turn like Thopter Spy Network... I sometimes used Authority of the Consuls on Avacyn's Madness level 4.3, 'Persistent Nightmare', where Greg has a very cheap loyalty ability which he uses to put token creatures into play most turns. Oh, and I hear the new card Chalk Outline is... is... oh, what's the word..... Utterly Utterly Broken.

But, stopping ETB effects is a very, very important part of this card's use.

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options

Yeah...so...I had this support out in Colossal Tussle yesterday.
    Greg drops Startled Awake, he gets his 13 mana, then the disable + life gain occurs.
    Not cool.

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

Do ETB effects trigger when a creature reinforces a stack of disabled creatures?

• Janosik
    Options

@Janosik said:

@Sarah said:

I wouldn't say it's the entire point of the card, it still now works against cards and effects that play tokens every single turn like Thopter Spy Network... I sometimes used Authority of the Consuls on Avacyn's Madness level 4.3, 'Persistent Nightmare', where Greg has a very cheap loyalty ability which he uses to put token creatures into play most turns. Oh, and I hear the new card Chalk Outline is... is... oh, what's the word..... Utterly Utterly Broken.

But, stopping ETB effects is a very, very important part of this card's use.

Interestingly, Doorkeeper Thrull specifies 'cast' and not 'summon', which means that, as written, under the new (i.e. correct) rules, it's a pretty worthless card

• Xibvert
    Xibvert Posts: 59 Match Maker
    edited 1 May 2024, 05:26
    Options

@Sarah said:
    Do ETB effects trigger when a creature reinforces a stack of disabled creatures?

The disabled creature can't trigger off of anything while it's disabled. Something else that isn't disabled could still trigger off of a disabled creature being reinforced.

• Janosik
    Options

@Janosik said:

Here's an example of what you could change the card text to:

Creatures your opponent controls enter the battlefield disabled until the end of your next turn.
    When a creature your opponent controls enters the battlefield, gain 1 life.

Oh! I notice there's already a card in the game that has this effect!

• Xibvert
    edited 19 March 2024, 14:56
    Options

@Janosik said:
    Oh! I notice there's already a card in the game that has this effect!

Yeah that looks like it would work fine on a support too since it's continuous instead of triggered so trigger priority wouldn't be an issue. As long as it's working correctly it should be a decent substitute for Authority of the Consuls since it's in the same color. Did you test it to see if its effect matches its text?

• Janosik
    Options

Did

Did they make a new Authority of the Consuls

Like right after we told them how bad Authority of the Consuls is now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Yc3aOdeys

• Janosik
    Options

But wait!

I'm just getting word from mainloop on the Discord right now (via Webcore!) that Torpor Orb will actually work like Authority of the Consuls used to?

It's hard to get excited about Spoiler cards when we have literally no idea how they will apply the rules ^_^

Does this mean Authority of the Consuls will be reverted to it's earlier functionality? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Xibvert
    edited 3 May 2024, 18:03
    Options

Based on the information provided so far it does sound like they plan to release it with an effect that's not consistent with what the card should do based on its wording. Maybe they'll update the wording before it gets released, but it's been almost two months since this thread was started and there hasn't been any response to it yet. I'm expecting it'll probably release as is and we'll have to figure out what's going on once people have the card.

• Xibvert
    Options

Okay well they reverted Authority of the Consuls. Hopefully the updated rules will be available soon. That should make Torpor Orb in compliance with the rules too. I'm curious to see what this rule update is and if it will impact what any other cards should be doing.

• Janosik
    Options

Are they changing the rules, and not the wording on the card? I feel like the path of least resistance here would have been to change the wording on the card, since they spent all this time make the card work like the rules in the first place.

But I'm happy Authority of the Consuls is not a garbage card any more. And I'm pretty excited to play with Torpor Orb, too!