Character Rebalance - Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) 5*

Options
S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker

The below is a screenshot to make formatting easier on the forum, but you can also click below to visit her character page on our website:
https://marvelpuzzlequest.com/characters/mister-sinister-nathaniel-essex-5/

Comments

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    edited 25 April 2024, 18:59
    Options

I've been using him over lunchbreak -- LOVE the redesign!!! switching his traps to "when removed" [by any means] from the previous "when matched" is a huge difference, along with the other tweaks too like the drastically lowered threshold to activate his black. Love the new uniform too!

[Unrelatedly -- not that it matters in the long run, but in the interest of comparison, a lot of the "Before" text above is incorrect -- drawing language from the redesign instead of being the actual previous abilities!]

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Based on his new Black it would seem you want to boost 2 Black + 2 all AP so you start with 4 Black which means first 2 times he is hit, he blocks 13.8K of that damage and puts 2 17K damage trap tiles on the board (4 total after 2 hits).

I'd think an ascended Domino or Cloak and Dagger feeding him a lot of Black would make him quite dangerous since there will be so many hard hitting trap tiles on the board.

KGB

• Grizwald
    Grizwald Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options

With his updated, what's the best build?

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 574 Critical Contributor
    edited 25 April 2024, 20:53
    Options

I think his active should still probably be at 3 since it still does a fair bit of damage.

I think I'll run 5/5/3.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

Wong and Kamala Kahn are turning out great with Sinister. They both seem to treat his traps as special tiles for extra damage, this team builds a lot of passive AP, covers 5 colors, and deals a tons of damage.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,412 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Love the new art.

This is probably the best trap tile usage I have seen now. This fixes the main problems that he had. Insane damage requirement of his first power and traps now activating on leaving the board.
    This is a clear win for Sinister.
    553 looks like the build since traps are now doing a wild amount of damage.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Do we get a vault with him? One of three 5* I haven’t finished.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It doesn't look like mThor's passive destroys the trap tiles. Either that, or I got extremely unlucky in the first match I tried with it.

That's a pity, because that would go a long way in being a counter for her.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,333 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 26 April 2024, 13:09
    Options

@sambrookjm said:
    It doesn't look like mThor's passive destroys the trap tiles. Either that, or I got extremely unlucky in the first match I tried with it.

That's a pity, because that would go a long way in being a counter for her.

Thor will definitely do it but her passive won’t prioritize what is read as a random basic tile over any specials on the board. So if a charged is in the middle of say one trap and 7 other basics, you have a 1/8 chance it’ll destroy the trap tile.

Trap spam is key and she does a lot passively too, making it a bit harder to get more out.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 371 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Umm...he sounds cool, I like him. But there are so many mistakes that I don't really know if any of the numbers are right, so I'll browse around my alliance to see if anyone has him champed. 550 does me no good anyway, I like seeing powers at 450. If they're good THERE then I know they'll just get better anyway.

• Jinx
    edited 26 April 2024, 15:40
    Options

I’ll keep beating the drum for KK, Wong, and Sinister. You can get a bunch of strikes out quickly because of all the passive AP gains. KK and Wong both seem to be treating the traps as specials for their damage, any time you use her green or his red or even just match the traps, it’s producing a lot of strike fueled damage. A few turns in, you can wipe multiple 140k plus opponents with simple matches because the match, the special tile destruction (KK), and damage from the traps are each getting boosted by the strikes separately.
    Goons are most susceptible because every time they fire a power, KK and Sinister are contributing AP so you can flood the board with strikes. Active enemies produce a lot of Sinister traps for extra damage though and Wong helps mitigate incoming damage.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That may be a fun team but is it faster than any of the other meta teams right now? I totally get that not everyone is looking for a fast team, but when rewards are based on placement which is based on ranking, speed rules. Just curious how fast that team is vs other meta teams.

• Jinx
    Options

Very fast for me because there’s not a ton of thinking. It takes a few turns but they’re fast. Fire yellow, match, match, fire yellow, match, yellow, green, match.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Thanks for sharing. So definitely takes a few turns but doable. Appreciate the info!

• Jinx
    Options

Some of the fastest teams are boring. I still want to actually play the game. Example: using Kang, MThor, and Iceman is super fun and can take out anybody instead of using them with some of the other fast combos. At the moment, this team doesn’t seem any slower than that combo or even Shang Chi, May, XFW.

• max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options

@Seph1roth5 said:
    Umm...he sounds cool, I like him. But there are so many mistakes that I don't really know if any of the numbers are right, so I'll browse around my alliance to see if anyone has him champed. 550 does me no good anyway, I like seeing powers at 450. If they're good THERE then I know they'll just get better anyway.

Agreed, please post powers at 450, if you want to 450 and 550 thats great, but on a re balance almost no one is going to have the character at 550 so its not very useful information, most people will want to see if the character is worth champing to 450.

• trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options

To get from 550 to 450 just divide health, damage, etc. by 2.16

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,333 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Mine was 460 when I took these.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,952 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I really, really wish they'd coordinate these changes with a boosted week for the character. The 550 numbers are relevant, because they're the boosted numbers, and that's the only time you're going to run most of these guys. But by the time they get boosted again, I always forget they've even been updated.

This seems like an easy fix!