Is vip worth the 10 per month if not what would make it worth it

Options
2»

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 February 2024, 23:14
    Options

For me generally no it is not. I have bought here and there to support the game and a few times when I really wanted a specific costume but generally no I don't buy it. There are two reasons I think it isn't for me.

1.) If I spend $10/mo. on a subscription I feel it should give me a big advantage going forward and the rewards from VIP do not do that.
    2.) I can spend $2/mo. and buy the small hp bundle and get the monthly purchase rewards for much less and they are generally almost as good for 1/5 th of the price.

For me to consider buying it regularly it would need to one of two things:

1.) Wow me with much greater rewards than it does now (like multiple 5* covers, plus more hp, and probably more 5* tokens)
    2.) Make it so I can spend much less time playing the game for QoL without losing rewards I currently earn - for example, if I am a VIP member, I can play all the DDQ nodes with my 5* characters if I want and save 15 minutes per day and still get those DDQ rewards as an example

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Warbringa said:

2.) Make it so I can spend much less time playing the game for QoL without losing rewards I currently earn - for example, if I am a VIP member, I can play all the DDQ nodes with my 5* characters if I want and save 15 minutes per day and still get those DDQ rewards as an example

This is a great idea and thematically right for Deadpool.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Warbringa said:

This is a great idea and thematically right for Deadpool.

More thematically right if he will play it for you, at the risk of unreliable results. Usually OK, sometimes even exceeding expectations, but some days ... whoops, forgot / got distracted / there was unforeseen blowback, better luck tomorrow, boss.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've seen a couple of weird posts about DDQ lately. A few players have posted that they're avoiding ascending characters because they want to keep their super fast DDQ teams. Now we've got someone asking them to auto play DDQ, or make it substantially faster.

You guys know DDQ is optional, right? If you don't like playing it, you can just...not play it.

What's the point of spending money to play the game less? Why not just save your money and play the game less?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I've seen a couple of weird posts about DDQ lately. A few players have posted that they're avoiding ascending characters because they want to keep their super fast DDQ teams. Now we've got someone asking them to auto play DDQ, or make it substantially faster.

You guys know DDQ is optional, right? If you don't like playing it, you can just...not play it.

What's the point of spending money to play the game less? Why not just save your money and play the game less?

People want to get all the rewards by... Playing less.
    And they'll use those rewards to be faster so they can... Spend less time on the game.
    People are very weird, there's some strange reasoning going on.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I asked about DDQ in the Q&A but it seems low on their priority but the obvious thing to me now is that for most players the 2* tier is now the lowest priority tier left and so having two nodes covering it seems overkill. So keep Under the Sea, ditch the other one and have a new 5* tier or maybe an ascended characters only tier or something. I also don't understand the desire to auto-play but if it was to be introduced I would rather it be used to auto-play seed teams in Lightning Rounds for the iso, that would be useful for me at least as I not normally around much for LR. You can play DDQ anytime you like.

• entrailbucket
    edited 16 February 2024, 11:21
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

And they'll use those rewards to be faster so they can... Spend less time on the game.

So why not just buy all the rewards and cut out the middleman completely? If your goal is to play the minimum, earn the maximum, and you're willing to spend money to get there, you can just buy a bunch of stuff and not play at all!

How long does DDQ take, anyway? Are people spending like an hour a day on it?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In every other node besides DDQ you can bring whatever characters you want. Hence the appeal of collecting better characters.

The 2* tier is absolutely the slowest tier, especially now. You can build a pretty fast 1* team for the 1* DDQ node, if you want, out of Juggs/Spidey/Yelena with a passive trap tile on blue which Spidey can use after two matches to stun/dmg. And you would have 4 powers that cost 6 AP.

You can use this same team now, as 2* characters and be mostly faster than using natural 2s.

The 2 tier by and large is full of more expensive powers, or if they are cheaper, often put down a CD.
    The characters are not super-fun to use (for me), the synergy is strained at best. They are now the least-touched tier as far as modern design in the game, all frozen somewhere in 2014 or so, whenever they last modified some of them.

The devs did all this on purpose so you feel like you are progressing in the game as you collect the 3/4/5s with their passives or cheaper powers as well as of course bigger numbers. They did not want players to feel happy and satisfied with how 1s and 2s perform, although of course players have at times found ways to beat challenging puzzles with these characters as a different way to play untimed nodes.

To be annoyed when people have played for a long time, and progressed to where matches are fast at the SCL they choose, but are being forced to use slower teams in DDQ when they choose to play those nodes. Why?

Play as you want. If people would like to have options to play faster they should be able to ask to do so. Just as the devs can say "we aren't touching DDQ and node requirements, because what you are ultimately asking for is a reduction in roster slot pressure which is the primary driver of spending for the vast majority of players".

Of course people can always just spend money and get the resources they want, but part of the challenge of the game for many players, under the FTP model as implemented, is to see how one can advance without spending, or spending little. It feels closest to "beating" the game, as far as it offers, when you can do so and provides a sense of accomplishment.

Anyone with money can walk in and buy their way to success.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

I'm no fan of the idea of autoplay and don't see how it would be consistent with the game.

Using 5*s for the DDQ nodes isn't subverting the game. I don't know if there's anyone that uses non-ascended 2stars in the 4star and below nodes so they can enjoy playing the game for longer, but allowing the use of 5s wouldn't prohibit that anyway.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

So why not just buy all the rewards and cut out the middleman completely? If your goal is to play the minimum, earn the maximum, and you're willing to spend money to get there, you can just buy a bunch of stuff and not play at all!

How long does DDQ take, anyway? Are people spending like an hour a day on it?

It's about 10 minutes a day. I don't play the 1 star node because I can get all the progression rewards without it so I only miss on the 1 star node reward itself.

The only time I like playing DDQ is when we have these temporary vaults like Black History month and I can use a qualifying character on one of the nodes to get that token. Otherwise I'd just prefer to be able to play one node and get all the rewards for the lesser nodes. That way new players to the game could still play lesser nodes and get rewards as they built their roster and vets could just play a single node and win everything without needing to keep a bunch of lesser characters around to play the 1, 2 and 3 star nodes (esp with ascension).

KGB

• entrailbucket
    Options

What if they just gave us a (free to push) "nope" button, that instantly awarded all the DDQ rewards without playing?

Although, if they do that, why not just give us the same button for PvE and PvP?

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    What if they just gave us a (free to push) "nope" button, that instantly awarded all the DDQ rewards without playing?

Although, if they do that, why not just give us the same button for PvE and PvP?

If you play long enough you will advance up the tiers right? So maybe just make that automatic too? Just give us a character from each tier every time we can be bothered to win a node. And you are going to favourite Polaris right? So make that automatic that we champ her without any of that playing stuff! And you know opening up the App takes a while so maybe every time we do that we get to auto complete playing a node so we no longer need to do anything to get a daily reward?

• JoeHandle
    edited 17 February 2024, 10:12
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Hmmm, yes, turn MPQ into a clicker game ... I clicked a thing, DONE. :D

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Looking at it again, VIP is probably not really worth paying for. Moot point anyway. I doubt I’ll ever spend money on this game again I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of money over the years and really stepped it up lately, but I bought the chain deal yesterday for 125 Emma3* covers and they delivered the other rewards, but not a single cover. Contacted CS and they told me to prove I bought it. Sent them receipts and like most credit card purchases, it initially says pending transaction. They told me to send them receipts that don’t show pending. Did that later and they still blew me off and let it go into the weekend. Have spent money on this game for 10 years, but no more. They screwed up and then treat me like trash when I try to get it fixed. At this point, all they’ve done is stolen $80 of my money and insulted a long time very profitable customer instead of helping.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 450 Mover and Shaker
    edited 17 February 2024, 14:14
    Options

@Jinx said:
    Looking at it again, VIP is probably not really worth paying for.

Ever since they added the costumes to it, that's usually what dictates whether I buy it or not. I compete (play seriously, rarely make better than t10 though) PVE and I know costumes give no tangible benefit but sometimes I just like looking at certain versions of the characters more. I don't really buy any of the big price (though usually they DO scale better, dollar per reward) offers but they can often catch me on a couple $10s.

• JoeHandle
    Options

@Jinx said:
    Looking at it again, VIP is probably not really worth paying for. Moot point anyway. I doubt I’ll ever spend money on this game again I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of money over the years and really stepped it up lately, but I bought the chain deal yesterday for 125 Emma3* covers and they delivered the other rewards, but not a single cover. Contacted CS and they told me to prove I bought it. Sent them receipts and like most credit card purchases, it initially says pending transaction. They told me to send them receipts that don’t show pending. Did that later and they still blew me off and let it go into the weekend. Have spent money on this game for 10 years, but no more. They screwed up and then treat me like trash when I try to get it fixed. At this point, all they’ve done is stolen $80 of my money and insulted a long time very profitable customer instead of helping.

I have puchased a few of these, and when I did, it took some time for the covers to appear in a popup. That didn't happen? The delay was up to 30min ... which was concerning! But they did arrive. But it was never instant, as other purchases are.

I hope you get the covers. IME experience, if you can document what happened they'll make it right. If somehow you already did get the covers ... not sure how you'd miss that! ... they should be able to document that. I've never had an issue go that way tho.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Usually takes a little bit, but it’s been a day now. Slightly annoyed with the mistake, but more upset about them putting it on me to prove they made a mistake and then blowing me off when I did.

• NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    I asked about DDQ in the Q&A but it seems low on their priority but the obvious thing to me now is that for most players the 2* tier is now the lowest priority tier left and so having two nodes covering it seems overkill. So keep Under the Sea, ditch the other one and have a new 5* tier or maybe an ascended characters only tier or something. I also don't understand the desire to auto-play but if it was to be introduced I would rather it be used to auto-play seed teams in Lightning Rounds for the iso, that would be useful for me at least as I not normally around much for LR. You can play DDQ anytime you like.

If they allow us to use the 1 and 2 star characters that we have ascended for those nodes, then that would be better.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@NMANOZ1 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

If they allow us to use the 1 and 2 star characters that we have ascended for those nodes, then that would be better.

It would certainly help but it honestly feels weird that DDQ does not have a 5* node as they are (or were) the top draw in MPQ, it is not like 5* are new. It would be like owning the movie rights to Spider-Man and then making movies that don't have Spider-Man in but do have some other people sort of affiliated to him. Oh no, wait, uhm, let me try that again. It would be like making a Star Wars movie called The Last Jedi and then having the last Jedi be your grumpy uncle who hates **** kids whilst drinking the out of date sherry that is now blue and then he dies of a heart attack on a long distance Zoom call. No that doesn't work either. It would be like making Metal Gear Solid 2 and...

OK, I give up.

• JoeHandle
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@NMANOZ1 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

It would certainly help but it honestly feels weird that DDQ does not have a 5* node as they are (or were) the top draw in MPQ, it is not like 5* are new. It would be like owning the movie rights to Spider-Man and then making movies that don't have Spider-Man in but do have some other people sort of affiliated to him. Oh no, wait, uhm, let me try that again. It would be like making a Star Wars movie called The Last Jedi and then having the last Jedi be your grumpy uncle who hates **** kids whilst drinking the out of date sherry that is now blue and then he dies of a heart attack on a long distance Zoom call. No that doesn't work either. It would be like making Metal Gear Solid 2 and...

OK, I give up.

Yes, encourage new players to buy something at / ascend something to 5* right away!

Some conflicting priorities / concerns would have to be thought through.