Issue with Survivors of Four Tribes Part 1

Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 27 January 2024, 03:31 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Hello, folks!

We are aware that the Coalition Event, Survivors of Four Tribes Part 1, is counting the actions of the Scales objective incorrectly. While it should count every Merfolk that has been summoned, Scales is considering only those that were cast.
We understand that objectives affect how you plan your deck and choose actions in a match, so this is certainly not the experience we want to deliver.

This weekend's event will consider its final score as is; no adjustments will be made to it. We'll fix the event in the next few days and run it again next weekend.

Comments

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options

Hard lock on 1.2 just swapping gems. After the swap the gems just didn't reappear.... and hard locked my game.super frustrating way to ruin an easy perfect. Especially since I haven't had a freeze in almost a year....

• Tunist
    Tunist Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options

I had a hard lock in the summon pirates event. Took shattergang brothers in which created an infinite loop with the pirate token the deck creates and filled the board with gold tokens until the loop timer ended it. Managed to get rid of the brothers from my side to try and fight through but a couple of turns later the game hung when the token died again and tried to create more gold tokens...

• ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Tezzeret said:
    Hard lock on 1.2 just swapping gems. After the swap the gems just didn't reappear.... and hard locked my game.super frustrating way to ruin an easy perfect. Especially since I haven't had a freeze in almost a year....

Which walker did you use? I had such a lock yesterday with the new wrenn

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ertaii said:

@Tezzeret said:

i have seen problems with the new planeswalker. haven't had a chance to fully investigate please hit me up on discord. give me everything you know.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 337 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team said:

This weekend's event will consider its final score as is; no adjustments will be made to it. We'll fix the event in the next few days and run it again next weekend.

Whoah there, hoss! Are you really going to run SoFT again before getting feedback on things like the fact that every boss has at least 200 life?

• Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Janosik said:

@Magic:PQ Support Team said:

Whoah there, hoss! Are you really going to run SoFT again before getting feedback on things like the fact that every boss has at least 200 life?

I'm definitely curious for the feedback. Not just the matches themselves, but also the all charges upfront structure.

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited 29 January 2024, 11:11
    Options

I don't mind the "all the charges upfront" structure.
    I do think that the bosses have too much HP. It's especially a problem with Merfolk-3. That node wants us to play weak creatures (power 3 or less) and it takes a while to deal 500+ damage to the boss. I was using Kasmina for that node (for the extra buff from the Fractal and her ultimate that should give +6/+6 to all creatures if your hand is full), and for some reason her ultimate was giving the creature buff only when used the first time. Every other time it would show the animation of an effect applied to the creatures (the white-ish streak going from the PW portrait towards all the 3 creatures, and a ring of white light surrounding the creature icons), but no effect was applied. The Fractal was still getting +6 to its Level and non-Vanguard supports were getting +6 shields.
    With Pirate-3 it was a bit easier. I was using the only 2 Pirate creatures I had, and after completing the objectives, I would play Intrepid Adversary to give ~ +50/+50 buff to the other 2 creatures, and it would shorten the remaining battle time considerably. Probably should have done that with the Merfolk-3 node as well.

• Enigma
    Enigma Posts: 53 Match Maker
    edited 28 January 2024, 16:30
    Options

Takes me about 10, 15 log ins and crashes before I finally have a deck ready for a node (yes, for every node). No other apps running, plenty of storage on phone, full bars for internet, and everything currently totally updated.

Issues now that I've been able to get through a few rounds. Crazy high HP for opponents, like seriously? I'd really rather not grind a game for 30min, thanks.

My other major issue is the req. to summon 6 pirate... it's not a common creature type in Standard at all (maybe if we could use our old Ixalan cards, but being a standard event it seems we need to buy a bunch of the current set... ok, I see what you're trying to do....), maybe add some options like you do in most other events... "pirates, warriors, or soldiers" maybe?

Edit: went through all my cards (playing since '20) and I actually have ~30 pirates.... only 1 is in Standard and usable for this event tho.

• Enigma
    Enigma Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options

Also experienced a hard lock. And a crash during the second round of a game. Otherwise perfect score.... aaaand currently sitting in 800+ place. The ranking system is so stupid... yet another issue that has been raised for years and generally just ignored.

• versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Asylamb said:
    I don't mind the "all the charges upfront" charges.
    I do think that the bosses have too much HP. It's especially a problem with Merfolk-3. That node wants us to play weak creatures (power 3 or less) and it takes a while to deal 500+ damage to the boss. I was using Kasmina for that node (for the extra buff from the Fractal and her ultimate that should give +6/+6 to all creatures if your hand is full), and for some reason her ultimate was giving the creature buff only when used the first time. Every other time it would show the animation of an effect applied to the creatures (the white-ish streak going from the PW portrait towards all the 3 creatures, and a ring of white light surrounding the creature icons), but no effect was applied. The Fractal was still getting +6 to its Level and non-Vanguard supports were getting +6 shields.
    With Pirate-3 it was a bit easier. I was using the only 2 Pirate creatures I had, and after completing the objectives, I would play Intrepid Adversary to give ~ +50/+50 buff to the other 2 creatures, and it would shorten the remaining battle time considerably. Probably should have done that with the Merfolk-3 node as well.

I had a similar effect with mask of griselbrand. I would lose my first creature and it would prompt and I would select yes, but nothing else would happen except it would prompt like twice, neither of which would do anything when selected as well. I also had a lock when using ashiok's ultimate.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 295 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I didnt have a problem with the high hp in each fight. It seemed like I didnt have to hold back keeping greg alive while I completed objectives. There are plenty of ways to get ridiculously large creatures to end games fast when needed. Plus, there is the toxic mechanic to render hp meaningless. I went that route on the pauper/summon 5 or less creatures fight.

It was nice knowing I could start this event anytime I wanted during the weekend and not worry about losing a charge.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 791 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ertaii said:

@Tezzeret said:

I'm in @Tezzeret 's team and I can confirm that he was using the new Wrenn and Realmbreaker. @Julie71 , if you can, please have a look at this.

• Janosik
    Options

@ambrosio191 said:
    I didnt have a problem with the high hp in each fight. It seemed like I didnt have to hold back keeping greg alive while I completed objectives. There are plenty of ways to get ridiculously large creatures to end games fast when needed. Plus, there is the toxic mechanic to render hp meaningless.

This is all true... I was using Bloodthirsty Adversary to get through the high life total (other Adversaries are available!), and it didn't take long. But I do wonder if newer players to the game found the high life total a grind.

Overall, tho, I thought the event was really a lot of nothing. It was just so easy... I'm playing Lost in Caverns of Ixalan today, and I'm coming up against Bladecoil Serpents and Lord Xanders... what cards is SoFT playing with? On the second hardest level, I noticed he was playing Sunfire Torch. Hardly the kind of card a human player is going to put in their deck.

Very boring. Even the terminally easy AWR has that one level with an interesting mechanic on it.

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Janosik I'd say the most dangerous/annoying card in the SoFT decks is Terror Tide (Pirate-3). It's a spell giving all opposing creatures -X/-X (permanently) where X is the number of cards in the caster's graveyard. Other than that I didn't find the bosses challenging.
    The wiki has this note for Merfolk-1:

Sentinel of the Nameless City will get very big very quickly (because of Explore), and will get Hexproof by Cavern of Souls. Be sure to bring something that can deal with a big Hexproof creature. That first creature will also fight your creatures from time to time (Malamet Battle Glyph), wiping them away because he's so big. The fighting works even if that creature is disabled.

I never encountered that situation, but I also had only 2 chances to play the node, so, you know, statistics.

• Janosik
    edited 29 January 2024, 16:25
    Options

@Asylamb said:
    @Janosik I'd say the most dangerous/annoying card in the SoFT decks is Terror Tide (Pirate-3). It's a spell giving all opposing creatures -X/-X (permanently) where X is the number of cards in the caster's graveyard.

The thing about Terror Tide though is that it's not going to help Greg win the game faster, and it's probably not going to stop the kind of strategies that advanced players are using to get through those high life totals (like, Adversaries, or Inexorable Tide). What it probably will do is further annoy newbie and intermediate players.

• Techg
    Techg Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options

I liked the new event and was lucky I didn't hit any locks. Boss health allows us to make sure we hit objectives vs worried about winning to fast. All charges up front is 100% what is needed for all events. I think this is moving in the correct direction and the packs as rewards are seller.

• NickBKK
    NickBKK Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options

Yes! All charges upfront is the best practice! Can Dev team make every coalition event (standard/legacy/PVP/PVE) come with all the charges loaded upfront? Please.

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options

I came here to say the same thing. Wonkey things aside! All charges up front is the dream! I'm here to give you your flowers dev team. Well done

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

I liked having all of the charges up front—it helped me fit time to play the game into my life—sometimes the weekends get busy for me.

I didn’t mind the high life total… toxic is a mechanic in standard and it doesn’t really matter what the HP is when there are 20 counters.

I am concerned about all of the freezes that seem to be happening.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Your feedback helps a lot, folks!
    Thanks.
    And yeah, we're looking into these freezes.

Lu