It's so strange

Options
ThisisClemFandango
ThisisClemFandango Posts: 656 Critical Contributor

Surprising no one at all, the sorcerer supreme is our rebalance character.
Just been announced on discord.
If I was clever I would post the link but, sadly, I'm not

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Very curious to see what they do with him. He's really good at a thing that's basically useless in today's game (punishing enemy active powers).

Will they make him even better at that, in hopes of somehow making it relevant? Or will they go in a different direction entirely?

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Very curious to see what they do with him. He's really good at a thing that's basically useless in today's game (punishing enemy active powers).

Will they make him even better at that, in hopes of somehow making it relevant? Or will they go in a different direction entirely?

Useless is a strong word. He's still very usable against Mindless Ones.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,957 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

That's true for PvP but not PvE where his skill remains very useful.

Need to make the active part of the Yellow cheaper (like 6-8 max) and the passive part hit harder (more like the 3 star version).

The Eye needs to remove at least 2+ at 5 covers and absolutely needs to be immune to stuff like Jane's board shake (same with Surfers Black Hole tile) and be more like 9 AP cost. Would be really helpful if it removed CD's and/or repeaters too (plus some other newer tile types that have appeared since he debuted). Or they could make the Eye work like Thanos purple and that would be OK too (instead of match damage increase make it last longer like 6 turns).

KGB

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 403 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:

Tweexes are also a thing. :)

https://x.com/MarvelPuzzle/status/1732179333794722215?s=20

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 656 Critical Contributor
    Options

@S0kun said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:

Tweexes are also a thing. :)

https://x.com/MarvelPuzzle/status/1732179333794722215?s=20

Show off

• Borstock
    Options

I just realized that if the rebalance is a buff (it isn't always when it comes to the powers), he's never going to leave the Favorites vaults/stores.

Can they jam this character down our throats even more? Is that even possible?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

That's why I said "basically" useless!

He was actually pretty good, and very annoying, when we all had to cast powers to win fights. Now, I'd say that a character who is good only against goons, when we have like 1000 other, better anti goon options, is "basically useless."

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Personally, we all saw it coming from a mile away. I’m not excited. I would have rather seen a character not as Ubiquitous as water come into the forefront.

Otherwise, a rebalance is a rebalance, and that part does make me happy. Thank you BCS. Keep em coming.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I would be disappointed if they didn't give him a multi-function ability like Wong and Clea.

• Borstock
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

He was actually pretty good, and very annoying, when we all had to cast powers to win fights. Now, I'd say that a character who is good only against goons, when we have like 1000 other, better anti goon options, is "basically useless."

I disagree. Some goon nodes, especially with Mindless Ones, drop A LOT of CDs as early as turn 2. Those multiple ticks make him as good if not better than 95% of the roster. There aren't 1000 better options. And some of those better options make him more dangerous as a teammate.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

I disagree. Some goon nodes, especially with Mindless Ones, drop A LOT of CDs as early as turn 2. Those multiple ticks make him as good if not better than 95% of the roster. There aren't 1000 better options. And some of those better options make him more dangerous as a teammate.

Or you could just use Okoye/OR and do 12X more damage in one turn, or shang/thor them faster, or apocalypse/bill them on turn zero with the right supports, or.....

• Borstock
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

Or you could just use Okoye/OR and do 12X more damage in one turn, or shang/thor them faster, or apocalypse/bill them on turn zero with the right supports, or.....

Shang/Thor is not much faster than Strange and a DMG booster, if at all. You have to build up your AP and the Shang stuff takes time to strategize and execute, whereas Strange does his DMG passively.

Okoye+OR can also be teammates for him. And comparing an outdated 5* to the latest PvE meta team is not a productive addition to the conversation. You're basically saying every non-meta character is useless, not just Strange.

You have to actually have the supports for Apoc/Bill to work that fast. And if it doesn't work, that team could get in trouble very quickly, leaving you to either try and wing it or retreat and restart to avoid a long match.

But disregard those arguments. That's 3 team options. I have over 400 characters rostered with dupes. How many of them are that much faster against Mindless Ones once they start putting out 2-3 CDs on turn 2? If they have a friend, you could see even more. You're underestimating how quickly Strange and Okoye can do huge damage under those conditions. Pair them up with Gorr, OR, or even a Thanos and they go down very quickly. Remember, Strange was actually designed to beat Mindless Ones when he was released.

• will7612
    will7612 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options

Vs mindless ones and similar, use Grocket4/Polaris/Mantis.
    Easy nodes, 1 or 2 moves
    Hard nodes, just some patience

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@will7612 said:
    Easy nodes, 1 or 2 moves

Any team can beat them with patience.
    This is about beating them fast.

• KGB
    Options

@will7612 said:
    Easy nodes, 1 or 2 moves

This is where Chasm shines. He prevents their initial placement entirely. Polaris/Grocket/Chasm or Polaris/BrB/Chasm is vastly better than using Mantis.

KGB

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,412 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Morbius is the answer.
    Don't use Chasm.
    Chasm is so boring and unfun to play with. His value is only on the first turn.
    Morbius is the real mindless one champ. When Strange is boosted it is a pity party.

• Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options

Since the Chasm nerf I actually find him more fun to play with, since he doesn’t cripple your own AP income quite so badly, and there is the whole mini game of trying to match web tiles to heal him.

• kuntilanak
    kuntilanak Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options

@dianetics said:
    Morbius is the answer.
    Don't use Chasm.
    Morbius is the real mindless one champ. When Strange is boosted it is a pity party.

I agree. Once upon a time, i ran the trio of Okoye-TAHulk-Morbius and go hunt polaris-BRB teams. Pretty fun... :D

@Gymp28 said:
    Since the Chasm nerf I actually find him more fun to play with, since he doesn’t cripple your own AP income quite so badly, and there is the whole mini game of trying to match web tiles to heal him.

Yeah, but still less fun :#

• KGB
    Options

@dianetics said:
    Morbius is the answer.
    Don't use Chasm.

What do you do when you can't match one of their SAPs on turn 1 or 2? You end up eating a lot of damage from the attack tile or doing nothing damage wise vs the protect tile.

Chasm bypasses that immediately and lets you get a free turn of damage before they start generating AP for their CDs too.

Morbius is great vs spammers like Polaris / BrB etc but is no where near as useful vs Mindless ones as Chasm is.

KGB

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,412 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:
    What do you do when you can't match one of their SAPs on turn 1 or 2? You end up eating a lot of damage from the attack tile or doing nothing damage wise vs the protect tile.

Chasm bypasses that immediately and lets you get a free turn of damage before they start generating AP for their CDs too.

Morbius is great vs spammers like Polaris / BrB etc but is no where near as useful vs Mindless ones as Chasm is.

KGB

Retreat and restart it.
    Chasm is good on turn 1, but Morbius is great through the entire match. His blue is cheap and can get tough to match tiles as well.
    Chasm does very little to impact the CD tile spam. I tried him out a few times with mindless ones, but always ended up going back to Morbius.