*** Loki (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• Yea, it was essentially a Purple Forest Fire. I had it trigger against me one time. Needless to say, I didn't survive. icon_lol.gif
  • Wow, despite a lot of purple powers being passive that is still amazing. It is odd that they didn't just adjust the number of tiles. I wonder what the best strategy was with that. A black widow could just drain opponent AP. Classic Magneto would be an obvious chioce except that Loki probably got rid of a bunch of Red and Blue tiles. It could help Grey Suit to charge her sniper. Loki, Grey Suit, C. Mag would be a pretty brutal combo.
  • Damnit, Loki got nerfed even further (IMO). I was cooking up a team that changed the colours of Wolvie/Doom's red attack tiles to other colours to free up space for more, but now that doesn't work.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Damnit, Loki got nerfed even further (IMO). I was cooking up a team that changed the colours of Wolvie/Doom's red attack tiles to other colours to free up space for more, but now that doesn't work.
    With the change, his damage per skill use of Illusions over tripled at Level 5 due to random cascades being generated. It does break your specific strategy somewhat, yes. But the net change is definitely on the positive for destructiveness (and chaos. Kinda Loki's thing).
  • I saw one of those cascades in the Magneto Lightning round. Surprised me, though I don't use or fight Loki much so it didn't occur to me at the time that Loki's power had changed.

In case no one else has figured out the gimmick, Loki's "thing" appears to be that nothing is certain when he's around, not even what his black power is. I think he has an invisible passive that states "Loki's black power randomly changes once a month". icon_lol.gif
  • Played with him for a bit. It's basically a slot machine. Sometimes you score big, other times not at all. Personally, I'm not the gambling type.

Prior to the change, his bffs were Daken/Wolvie/Doom/Spidey and others who used special tiles.

Now his bffs are those who put a lot of the same coloured tiles on the board, namely Thor and Rags.
  • His ability does seem more controllable now though. You can use it only when there are a lot of tiles of the colours you want but are not positioned nicely. Shifting them around could very well get you free matches OR an opening for a 5-match.

Definitely seems fairer than the other 3 star champs icon_e_wink.gif
  • Would be nice if his black ability did something when there are no relevant tiles on the board. Like Original Widow's blue for example. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something small so that it's not a useless ability when there aren't any strike/protect tiles on screen.
  • casuist wrote:
    Would be nice if his black ability did something when there are no relevant tiles on the board. Like Original Widow's blue for example. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something small so that it's not a useless ability when there aren't any strike/protect tiles on screen.

Whereas I now enjoy his purple skill quite a lot, his black indeed seem quite lackluster and I had similar thought that it should do something more. However I must say that I used it once during Lightning rounds against Magneto.
  • Shikao wrote:
    casuist wrote:
    Would be nice if his black ability did something when there are no relevant tiles on the board. Like Original Widow's blue for example. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something small so that it's not a useless ability when there aren't any strike/protect tiles on screen.

Whereas I now enjoy his purple skill quite a lot, his black indeed seem quite lackluster and I had similar thought that it should do something more. However I must say that I used it once during Lightning rounds against Magneto.

I'm curious though, did they programme the AI Loki to use his black ability only when it's relevant?
  • Sooty wrote:
    Shikao wrote:
    casuist wrote:

I'm curious though, did they programme the AI Loki to use his black ability only when it's relevant?

For skills like this one (and AP stealing ala the various Black Widows) you cannot use the skill if it will have no effect.
  • But you can lose yellow AP with IM40 when all the yellow tiles are web tiles, and none become countdown timers.
  • Man, I thought Daken's “Pheromone Rage” animation was annoying. Now it seems like Loki's “Illusions” ability last like 8 seconds (I didn't time it). Is it really necessary to show all the tiles being swapped? All that trouble and it rarely does any meaningful damage.
  • someguy wrote:
    Maybe something simpler, but still in keeping with Loki's chaotic/random character theme, would just be an ability that randomly places a random assortment of special tiles (which you own) at random locations on the board.

The more points you place, the more special tiles you place.

Special tiles could include:
    - strike tiles at XX damage modifier
    - attack tiles that do YY damage per turn
    - protect tiles that prevent ZZ damage,
    - 2-turn countdown tiles that stun the whole enemy team for one turn after counting down to 0
    - crit tiles

At level 1, place 2 random tiles, level 2, place 3, at level 4, place 4, at level 5, place 6.

I like this suggestion. Please consider it.
  • Howler wrote:
    someguy wrote:
    Maybe something simpler, but still in keeping with Loki's chaotic/random character theme, would just be an ability that randomly places a random assortment of special tiles (which you own) at random locations on the board.

The more points you place, the more special tiles you place.

Special tiles could include:
    - strike tiles at XX damage modifier
    - attack tiles that do YY damage per turn
    - protect tiles that prevent ZZ damage,
    - 2-turn countdown tiles that stun the whole enemy team for one turn after counting down to 0
    - crit tiles

At level 1, place 2 random tiles, level 2, place 3, at level 4, place 4, at level 5, place 6.

I like this suggestion. Please consider it.

Second, very cool.
  • Got absolutely destroyed by Loki in a match last night, cascade damage on a level that usually takes modern storm. I'm thinking he may be fine.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Requesting new passive ability: Funbalance

While Loki is alive, enemy teammates abilities are downgraded.

Level 1: Changes are 10% worse
    20%
    30%
    40%
    Level 5: Ability is "patched", inflicting both teams

Alters:
    Flat damage
    Created strike tile strength
    Countdown length
    Created tiles number
    any other numeric modifier.
  • A fantastic upgrade for Loki would be as followed...

Illusions - Purple 5 AP
    You can’t count on anything when Loki’s around. Changes the location of 14 colored tiles.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Changes the location of 18 colored tiles.
    Level 3: Changes the location of 22 colored tiles.
    Level 4: Changes the location of 26 colored tiles.
    Level 5: Changes the location of 32 colored tiles.

Any matches that line up during mid swap (so 3-4-5 matches) destroys that match but does not generate AP...does that make sense?
  • I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure if that would really fix him. We'd have to see it in action before we would know how much that would change him. I'd rather just see a new power. I think something like patch that can give power to his black.

Manipulation
    Green - Passive
    Using manipulation, Loki opens his opponents up for an easy attack. Making an initial match with more than 15 AP of that color generates a Strike tile of strength 12. However, if his opponents can see through his manipulation, they can turn it back on him. The opposing team also has this ability.

Level 2: Strike tile strength increases 15
    Level 3: 12 AP needed
    Level 4: Strike tile strength increases 18
    Level 5: 10 AP needed

So the idea is that he can throw some strike tiles out there, but at the cost of getting some thrown back at him. However, this can work to his advantage if he uses trickery. It might not be the best ability, but I'd like to see something that sets up his trickery.
  • Mischief:
    Cost 9 green.
    Loki adds 10 special tiles to the board. They are randomly strike or defend tiles and are randomly for you or your opponent. The number and strength of tiles could scale with skill level. This skill would work well with loki's black and mean it would always have a purpose.

What do you guys think?