I think it's high time that trap tiles...

thedarkphoenix
thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor

Get buffed, and have a meta run. We have been through all kinds of meta's on this game since release. From healing, to charge tiles, countdown tiles, strike, defense tiles, web, you name it.

Traps have sucked from time to until now. I love trap tiles, but something really needs to be done to improve them the answer could be as simple as letting them overwrite all types of enemy special tiles or making damage from trap tiles permanent or permanently down characters.

But it's really time trap characters got a chance to shine.

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards

Traps are too random to have a meta.

Will JJ help you or your team? How do you stop tile overwrites?

The biggest issue is no trapper synergizes or benefits from other trappers. Until you fix that kind of synergy traps will always be the worst niche of tile specials.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

I'd like them too be more robust so that matching or overwriting them triggered them, and actions that currently destroy them reveal them instead, letting them be avoided or destroyed for good.

I'd also like them to all behave the same way - I should always know where my traps are and it should take an enemy action to trigger them - anything else isn't a trap, and should be called something different.

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor

Even if there isn't a overall system buff to trap tiles, there should be a character (something like Arcade) that enhances them to the effects of they can't be over written or the damage or effects are multiplied by XYZ...

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023

Really the best bet to buff traps as a meta is to allow all characters to benefit from other users traps.

Imagine if Killmonger blew up all traps and you paired him with Arcade. Once those tiles blew up it would be a rain of damage and some ap gain. Arcade would lose his control room but the ap gain might compensate.

Currently all trap users only benefit from their own traps. This is the biggest problem from it ever being meta.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards

A trap tile meta is a tough sell. People don't like losing to RNG cascades. How fun is it really going to be if you make a match and the resulting cascade downs YOUR entire team. Imagine Xavier+Onslaught+Dr. Thor, but it happens on your turn. That'd be really frustrating.

• Domitronas
    Domitronas Posts: 87 Match Maker

If they made all friendly trap tiles both via matches AND destruction, that would be a step in the right direction to make traps much more viable

• Domitronas
    Domitronas Posts: 87 Match Maker

Sorry for double comment but

@Domitronas said:
    If they made all friendly trap tiles proc both via matches AND destruction

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023

If traps couldn't be overwritten, then you'd be able to tell where they were pretty easily -- that's why they can be overwritten now.

I love the idea Dr Clever had a few posts up -- just trigger the trap if it gets overwritten!

Arcade is probably ok (I think?), but Jessica and Mr Sinister should get overall buffs, in addition to that change. Not sure who else is a trap tile guy...most of the 4* trap users are so bad that even a change like that wouldn't do much for them.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023

Probably not so easy topic as it seems.
    And guess what... it should lead to a nice bunch of bugs. More bugs!
    Issues with trap tiles users overwriting: Chavez uses traps. It would be easy to pair her with Polaris and overwriting traps, gaining huge amount of AP and great amount of damage, without having to match more 4 tiles.
    Same for JJ. Huge, huge buff if she benefits from other traps
    KM creates traps but they don't do nothing. It's only for his purple. Sinister benefits from KM's useless traps with his blue, actually the words are friendly traps.
    Elektra yellow traps can be matched or destroyed and then they don't damage. If it was the opposite that would be a great buff for her.
    Arcade blue or purple only work with his traps. Working with other trap users traps would be a great buff for him, faster and a lot more damage.
    Echo also would see a huge buff.
    And there could be more characters. Imo while overwriting it's too bad for traps and it should be changed, trap users benefiting from others could be too much of a buff for characters already in tops.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

Chavez and Elektra are good examples of characters whose tiles should be called something other than "traps".

A trap should be something you set and your opponent falls into which works for Sinister or Arcade.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler

@thedarkphoenix said:
    Get buffed, and have a meta run. We have been through all kinds of meta's on this game since release. From healing, to charge tiles, countdown tiles, strike, defense tiles, web, you name it.

Traps have sucked from time to until now. I love trap tiles, but something really needs to be done to improve them the answer could be as simple as letting them overwrite all types of enemy special tiles or making damage from trap tiles permanent or permanently down characters.

But it's really time trap characters got a chance to shine.

Anyone remembers the initial "hand goon" event rollout ? (EotS ? or another before cant remember) That was very strong evidence of why trap should not be meta else they become extremely frustrating.

Having a risk of getting your toon hp destroyed by doing any match, is basically playing blind minesweeper, which gets old very fast.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 693 Critical Contributor

I remember how stoked a lot of us were when Gertrude Yorkes was released. The ability to place the trap tiles where you wanted to seemed like a game changer. Seemed. Didn't quite have the impact expected.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023

They should introduce a character that if a trap tile is over written by anything is explodes and deals massive damage.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards

Biggest issue, as mentioned, is that traps are all over the board (pun intended) with how they work. Some you have to match to make them effective. Some the opponent has to match. Some either can match. Some have to stay on the board for an effect to happen and then they are gone. Some you can see. Some you can't. There is absolutely nothing consistent about them.

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
    edited May 2023

I feel like if they get matched by the wrong team to trigger it, are overwritten or are destroyed by the team it belongs to (like by line clears, except ofc if doing this already triggers them), they should relocate and not disappear.