Spider-Man (Back in Black) Rework Concept

Options

15770 Health / 63386 Health
Yellow 135 | Red 125 | Blue 1068 | Purple 831 | Green 949 | Black 115 | Team-Up 528 | 4.0x

All abilities are listed at max level 450 for levels 3-5.

Take-Web-Do – 6 Blue AP
Spider-Man unleashes a vicious flurry of precision kicks and acrobatic flips, striking his enemy's weakest points. Spider-Man deals 6740 damage and stuns the target for 1 turn. He then removes up to 2 web tiles from the board, dealing an extra 2550 damage for each removed and stuns the target for 1 additional turn if 2 web tiles were removed.

Passive: Peter darts through the shadows, using his foe's confusion to disappear completely. While at least one enemy is stunned, Spider-Man is invisible.

Level Upgrades
Level 4: Deals 7798 damage and stuns for 1 turn. Removes up to 3 web tiles, dealing
2770 damage for each removed and stuns the target for 1 additional turn if at least 2
web tiles were removed. Passive remains unchanged.
Level 5: Deals 10,082 damage and stuns for 1 turn. Removes up to 4 web tiles,
dealing 2990 damage for each removed and stuns the target for 1 additional turn if at
least 2 web tiles were removed, or 2 additional turns if 4 web tiles were removed.
Passive remains unchanged.

Automotive Artillery – 10 Green AP
Spotting his target in the distance, Spider-Man grabs a nearby parked car and hurls a 2-ton fastball at his opponent. Deals 21921 damage to the target enemy, ignoring the effects of any Protect tiles, and stuns a random enemy for 3 turns. If Spider-Man is already invisible, the target is stunned instead, and the stun cannot be negated.

Level Upgrades
Level 4: Deals 24155 damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns.
Level 5: Deals 29634 damage and stuns a random enemy for 4 turns.

Shadowy Acrobatics – Purple Passive
Passive: Spider-Man expertly avoids his opponent’s attacks while readying for a counter. Enemy Strike tiles add 65% less damage and enemy Attack tiles add 45% less damage (to a minimum of 1). Whenever the enemy creates a Strike or Attack tile, Spider-Man creates 1 web tile.

Level Upgrades
Level 4: Enemy Strike tiles add 75% less damage and enemy Attack tiles add 55% less
damage (to a minimum of 1). Whenever the enemy creates a Strike, Attack, or Protect
tile, Spider-Man creates 1 web tile.
Level 5: Enemy Strike tiles add 100% less damage and enemy Attack tiles add 65% less
damage (to a minimum of 1). Whenever the enemy creates a special tile, Spider-Man
creates 1 web tile.

Comments

• kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options

Explanation:
    First of all, I love Spider-Man and I love this suit, so I really wanted this guy to be super strong. As far as numbers goes, I increased his health and match damage to be on par with the current 5* characters, as most reworks go. I then increased the damage numbers of his blue and his green to be around the level of other 5* powers of similar cost.
    For his blue, I feel that the current way it works is interesting in theory but not great in execution. In theory, you string along stuns to dish out big damage, or get the chain going with less damage but a 1 turn stun. In execution, you often are only getting a 1 turn stun with small damage. With this change, you would always get solid damage and a guaranteed 1 turn stun, with more damage and stun time added if there are web tiles on the board. I also moved the part of his purple passive that grants him invisibility to the blue. The purple was expanded upon in the rework, and I didn’t want it to get too bloated with text. I also feel like the passive fits better on his blue anyways. I’ll talk about why I added web tiles into the kit when I discuss the purple power.
    Spider-Man’s green ability costs far too much in the current era of MPQ, and doesn’t even have that great of an effect when you get it off. The damage is too low and the stun, while helpful, is unreliable. Especially for the amount of AP spent. For his new green, I lowered the cost by 4 and increased the damage, using 5* Moon Knight’s Black as a reference. I also included a new ability to the game, which is a stun that can’t be negated by characters like Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, etc. If new characters who are immune to being stunned continue to release, I think it would be interesting to have characters who can negate their immunity, albeit with some sort of condition. Here, Spider-Man’s condition is the high AP cost of the ability and that he needs to already be invisible before firing the power.
    Finally, we get to the Spider-Man’s best ability pre-rework. I really like the idea of Spider-Man being a SAP counter, and wanted to lean into that more heavily. His effectiveness against Strikes tiles remains the same, while also adding reduction to Attack tiles. This addition, plus his ignoring of Protect tiles in his green ability, means that Spider-Man has ways around all three SAP tiles. I also added the web tile generation because it always bothered me that this Spider-Man was the only spider character not to create web tiles. I know that this iteration of Spider-Man is supposed to illicit the thought of Spider-Man going off on his own to seek revenge, rather than working as a team, but web tiles are such a cool in-game synergy that I wanted to go for fun gameplay over flavor.
    Concluding Thoughts:
    Overall, I don’t think this Spider-Man would become the new meta, especially when the meta of Chasm/IHulk does not revolve around SAP tiles. However, if we ever do go back to a SAP tile meta or the meta revolves around characters immune to stuns, I think this Spider-Man can be a good counter to that, especially when boosted.