Puzzle Quest + Marvel + ...Math?!

emaker27
emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
So I picked up this cool game that combines two of my favorite things, Puzzle Questing and Marveling! I earned a bunch of new characters with cool new powers, like Punisher, Hulk, and Ares... just to name a few. And when I get into the game with them, I'm presented with math word problems; like...

1. If the enemy Iron Man has 3676 max life points, and your Punisher can kill him with one shot if his health is less than 40%, how many life points does Iron Man need to be at for the Punisher to succeed?

or this one...

2. If your Hulk starts with 9788 life points, but currently has 3453 life points, how many life points is 5% so he can generate green tiles?

but this one's a goody...

3. If Ares has 17 green tiles, and can perform one move to deal 78 damage for each, how much total damage can he deal?

tl;dr: Please calculate and display the total damage for each move if math is required. This is a game and not an educational tool. icon_e_geek.gif

Comments

• Nah, life is an educational tool. Don't want to do the math, wing it. Take the shot anyways even if you aren't sure the hulk is going down. Live a little icon_e_wink.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would you need the exact number in any of these spots?

All of them are easy to approximate (+/- 100) quickly, which gives you a margin of error < 1 match-3 in most cases. Knowing that the threshold for Iron Man is 1470.4 instead of 'about 1400' shouldn't change the decision making process.
  • Two of these questions are easy:

2. They won't trigger Anger unless they use a special move or strike tiles.
    3. More than enough damage to do whatever you need him to do.
  • If You abuse Punisher, You know by heart the exact values of 40% hp of Hulk, LThor and 5800.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I was just being a little tongue in cheek while making a point... and the characters/examples I used where just random.

All of them are easy to approximate (+/- 100) quickly, which gives you a margin of error < 1 match-3 in most cases. Knowing that the threshold for Iron Man is 1470.4 instead of 'about 1400' shouldn't change the decision making process.

What may come easy for you, could be difficult for someone else. And 'in most cases' can still lose you a match.
    Emeryt wrote:
    If You abuse Punisher, You know by heart the exact values of 40% hp of Hulk, LThor and 5800.

Lol. Fair point!
  • Phantron wrote:
    Two of these questions are easy:

2. They won't trigger Anger unless they use a special move or strike tiles.
    3. More than enough damage to do whatever you need him to do.

Actually, 3* Magneto's red power won't trigger it normally.

I usually just estimate. For example, I tell whether or not it's 40% by how far the red part of the health indicator is down.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Answers:

1. When his life bar is a little chunk below halfway up his life cross.
    2. A bit less than 500. More precisely, 480ish.
    3. Somewhere between 1000 & 1500. Probably around 1300.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Answers:

1. When his life bar is a little chunk below halfway up his life cross.
    Mobile version only.

From what I remember, it's somewhere there:

........I...I
    ....___I...I___
    ...I___ __ ___I
    ........I...I
    ........I__I
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    emaker27 wrote:
    So I picked up this cool game that combines two of my favorite things, Puzzle Questing and Marveling! I earned a bunch of new characters with cool new powers, like Punisher, Hulk, and Ares... just to name a few. And when I get into the game with them, I'm presented with math word problems; like...

1. If the enemy Iron Man has 3676 max life points, and your Punisher can kill him with one shot if his health is less than 40%, how many life points does Iron Man need to be at for the Punisher to succeed?

or this one...

2. If your Hulk starts with 9788 life points, but currently has 3453 life points, how many life points is 5% so he can generate green tiles?

but this one's a goody...

3. If Ares has 17 green tiles, and can perform one move to deal 78 damage for each, how much total damage can he deal?

tl;dr: Please calculate and display the total damage for each move if math is required. This is a game and not an educational tool. icon_e_geek.gif
    I once kept a spreadsheet which told me what 40% of the enemies base value was. But that was when I was mostly playing PVE and I gave up when my opponents started hitting 12000+ health. It actually would make sense to redo it for PVP using the most common health figures -- 8700, 7250, 5800, 3115, etc.
  • Why would you need the exact number in any of these spots?

The classic storm with three hit points is raising her hand with a reply. It's "I wiped out your entire team using raging tempest."
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    52wNYnc.jpg
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:

The classic storm with three hit points is raising her hand with a reply. It's "I wiped out your entire team using raging tempest."

"Most cases." And it's your fault for taking out Storm last.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:

"Most cases." And it's your fault for taking out Storm last.

That happened when I was trying to take her out first, actually, but miscalculated a AOE attack that was supposed to finish her off.