Attacking your own alliance members

Options
I understand coding is involved here but it would be a huge plus if we could see Alliance names next to the person's name without having to extra-click every name you don't recognize to see what alliance they're a member of. Additionally, and maybe a better solution, it would be great if you couldn't target your own alliance members in an event at all if no other reason than so you don't have to dump 10 iso to skip them. I guess there are always the few exceptions when someone wants to abuse the current system.

Edit: wasn't sure if this belonged here as it regarded attacking your alliance members in Tournaments

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I think this would be a nice change. Allows us to speed up the process of finding battles without having to skip through our own teammates on occasion. And believe me, I skip through my teammates a lot cause they just keep showing up in my queue. icon_neutral.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think my MMR is enough above most of my alliance-mates that I only see them in my queue maybe once a tournament, so this doesn't really effect me much. It seems like a pretty good idea, but also not something you necessarily ALWAYS want. Also, for you guys in those mega-alliances (x-men, 5Ds, others?) do you skip anyone in ANY of those alliances or just the one you belong to?

As for the not something you always want comment - I know I usually try my best to skip forumites when I can find a comparable high-point target, but at a certain point I like to save them in my nodes for after they shield to give me that little boost either at the end of my climb or for a later shield hop. Seems like it might be beneficial for you guys to do the same thing if you can communicate quickly to each other about when you're shielding so you get the juicy points without taking them away from your teammate.
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    I think my MMR is enough above most of my alliance-mates that I only see them in my queue maybe once a tournament, so this doesn't really effect me much. It seems like a pretty good idea, but also not something you necessarily ALWAYS want. Also, for you guys in those mega-alliances (x-men, 5Ds, others?) do you skip anyone in ANY of those alliances or just the one you belong to?

As for the not something you always want comment - I know I usually try my best to skip forumites when I can find a comparable high-point target, but at a certain point I like to save them in my nodes for after they shield to give me that little boost either at the end of my climb or for a later shield hop. Seems like it might be beneficial for you guys to do the same thing if you can communicate quickly to each other about when you're shielding so you get the juicy points without taking them away from your teammate.

Speaking of, I'm not shielded right now in the Hood tourney, but @ ~787 pts so I'm good for some of you out there, and I'm done for the tourney ( made it to 926 last nite) , so whack away! If I have to climb later, I'll be skipping all you guys' Retals anyways!

ON TOPIC: I forget who said it, but it would be nice to have the names of your Alliance members come up in a different color or something instead of the normal font color as an indicator ( i know, i know, blah blah coding blah ) but its nice to wish for possible rather than impossible things....
  • Unknown
    Options
    There are only two alliances that have this problem. Maybe if they didn't swap like the town bicycle they'd learn each other's names. Let's hope the devs work on issues that actually impact the playerbase and not a bunch of people that can't be assed to remember a few names.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    There are only two alliances that have this problem. Maybe if they didn't swap like the town bicycle they'd learn each other's names. Let's hope the devs work on issues that actually impact the playerbase and not a bunch of people that can't be assed to remember a few names.

While I agree that Alliance Hopping/switching (Which if for points/rewards reason is cheating as far as I am concerned.), I think the main problem is when you are shield hopping, you are moving as fassssssssst as you can to get 2-3 matches in and re-shielding before getting hit. So if your Alliance-mates were say a glowing blue instead, you could skip them really easily without accidentally hitting them.

Although, the points stay in the Alliance, so I could care less if I am hit by an Alliance-mate.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sometimes it can be beneficial to attack your own team mates.

Just saying.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:

Suggestion was more of an alternative to having to skip hitting your own alliance members over and over again with skip tax. If this option was considered too much to ask then for alliances with 100 plus people, it could help to some degree. There's already an over abundance of unnecessary extra popups and nested menus that we have to trudge through so simplifying the game where possible would be a good thing.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I'd definitely be cool with some sort of indication that you're attacking somebody in your own alliance. I wouldn't really want to see the opponents taken out altogether, though...MMR bubbles get bad enough at the top as it is.

I'm a little fortunate since I was part in a lot of the original recruiting, I knew all of my alliance-mates names by heart at the get-go, and we've only had to replace a few since we've started. Also, I don't need to bother checking teams with a 2* char in them and only ever really look at the name if I'm facing double 141s, which wouldn't necessarily be the case with 99.9% of alliances.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    I'd definitely be cool with some sort of indication that you're attacking somebody in your own alliance.
    Me too.

I just switched and I don't recognise all my new alliance mates by name just yet and I'm sure it's the same for other new recruits. That said, if they do hit me at least the points stay in house icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I thought about this issue and it occured to me that being able to attack your own alliance(s) is a huge advantage. The world of MPQ, for the most part, isn't going to care if a few guys attacked you less because the horde still easily overpowers any attempt for a small subset of people trying to prop someone's score up under normal circumstances. However, if most of your retaliations are from guys you know about, then you have 100% control over when to collect, which means any retaliation you owe to an alliance member can be safely collected while you're shielded. That said even if they eliminated the ability to attack your own alliance it's not going to do any good against the mega alliances that spam more than one alliance.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The simplest fix is just to add the alliance name in red under the player name on the team screen. We can already click the name and see the alliance there, it shouldn't be too hard to just add that tag to the matchup.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So attacking alliance members is just open to abuse in my opinion.

Either you do as Phantron says and attack retals when shielded which is questionable...
    or............

You could retreat to an alliance member and give him a defensive win. Now if my top 5 is secure and my team mate is close to top 1 and doesn't want to break shield, then that's a quick boost for him right there. And that IS broken.

It would be much easier if it was just coded so that you could not attack an alliance member. This won't stop the conglomerates from abusing the idea though. I just don't like the idea of newbie member tax.

"yeah yeah you can join us, but you have to skip until you find these guys then retreat to them x times a season."
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At a minimum, alliance members should be treated the same as retals. Free skips.
  • Unknown
    Options
    i put something up in suggestions about this, to just change the colors of guild members names in pvp to avoid em
  • Unknown
    Options
    I made sure I knew all team mates' names for the first PvP in my new Alliance for that reason. I skip them when I encounter them. This probably is what most players do. So removal of skip tax would be nice (though I usually pick an opponent before I have to pay skip tax, so no real problem there). Not an issue for me, but I see why one would want it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Now that I am part of a 5DA affiliated alliance, this would be so helpful. Sometimes when I am trying to make a big push during the last hour or so, I don't want to waste any time waiting for their roster to load and view their alliance.

It is a small QoL change that would be of benefit to not accidentally attack someone who is your "friend".
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:

I agree with the part that it's low priority stuff and we have a long list of high priority items abandoned.

But it would be a good improvement to the game if the user could define friends/foes and those got marked out. It would be an extension of alliance stuff. An friend groups could allow chat like alliance does adding quite some value to play.

Most multiplayer games START with that set of features well before having the competitive content added.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    gambl0r312 wrote:
    mohio wrote:
    I forget who said it, but it would be nice to have the names of your Alliance members come up in a different color or something instead of the normal font color as an indicator ( i know, i know, blah blah coding blah ) but its nice to wish for possible rather than impossible things....

This could probably be done in 3 **** lines.

Set each person's alliance name as a text string
    Use an if-else with a getter to check for the exact alliance string
    Change font color if true

But nope gotta focus on things that might take a month to implement
  • Breakking
    Breakking Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    I think certain alliances that start with an 'X' and end with a 'Men' would be very upset if they weren't allowed to attack themselves. That's the key to how they get their astronomical scores. Coordinated shield hopping and attacking each other is how they do it.

I would love it though if fellow alliance members NEVER showed up in your queue. It would level the playing field just like True Healing has
  • Unknown
    Options
    Breakking wrote:
    I think certain alliances that start with an 'X' and end with a 'Men' would be very upset if they weren't allowed to attack themselves. That's the key to how they get their astronomical scores. Coordinated shield hopping and attacking each other is how they do it.

I would love it though if fellow alliance members NEVER showed up in your queue. It would level the playing field just like True Healing has

It wouldn't change anything for alliances that are comprised of more than 1 group of 20 people. Groups of that size are often using something other than the in game chat for coordination, so you just make sure the 2-4 people who are doing that are currently in alliance 1, 2, 3, 4 at the time. Once they've hopped off each other, they can freely move back to their original line ups. The change you're suggesting would only make it unequal footing for those within one self contained alliance. Because let's be honest, if you're willing to spend more in HP than you'll possibly recoup in the tournament just for ludicrous scores, why would having to change alliances a couple times to do that be a discouraging factor?