dynamic level scaling for PvP

I'm sure someone has a similar idea before and I probably posted something similar but this is a more fleshed out idea I have.

Create a pool of character deemed to have enough time for people to reach maximum cover. For the sake of simplicity I'd say this is each cover offered as reward in any given event + (number of days the character has been available/10). That is, a brand new character will take 100 days to put in this pool (3 covers from the event he is released, 100 days assuming he's never offered as a reward again). Prior to this we won't adjust the character because he's too new at this point to collect meaningful sample. This should only apply to 3*s (2* and 1* are always in the pool, and 4* I have no idea what to do with them).

Take every match played and exclude the mandatory character and get a % representation of each character. Apply some fancy statistic model to determine if someone is underused, and apply a +25%, +50%, +75%, and +100% level buff to those guys based on how underused they are. This is locked in and recomputed every 2 hours. There should be somewhere in the game you can see this information, which might look like:

Daredevil - +100% levels
IM40 - +100% levels
Loki - +75% levels
Psylocke - +25% levels

The boosted levels persist on your defense team until you change it. They also persist while on the character selection screen so you don't suddenly find that what you thought was a level 282 DD + IM40 turned out to be a level 141 because everyone was using in the last 2 hours and you clicked fight when a new round of buff is computed.

And yes this means the underused character can be buffed more than the featured character. If level 282 Daredevil + level 282 IM40 (or a level 170 Bagman) makes an awesome team, why not? As soon as people start using that their buff will go way down after the next 2 hours, and if someone recognized this earlier and threw up this team and never changed it again all the more power for recognizing a great opportunity on getting an almost freebie shield.

This also means a newly released character probably will still be buffed in some way because you'll hit the 13 cover limit without everyone having adequate time to get the covers so they'll still be somewhat underused, but it's probably okay to give the guys paying big money a bit of an extra advantage, because they help pay the bills. Besides, there should be no shortage of neglected characters that will have a +100% level buff under this system for those willing to experiment.

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Great concept! As long as you keep your buffs on defense... I like ideas that create incentive to use the breadth of your roster (which also helps monetize the game by making it advantageous to buy slots and keep the less powerful characters).