Idea to encourage team diversity in PvP

Pylgrim
Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
So we've all heard how tiring is to face the same [Featured Character] + [Powerful tanky 141 Character] + [OBW/C.Mag] team over and over, right? Here's an idea to encourage (read force) people to try different teams, hopefully allowing them to discover and fall in love with different combinations of characters:

Introducing the Colours Tournament! A 6-day PvP in which each day a different colour is "banned" (i.e. you can't play characters with powers of that colour that day. No OBW during black, purple and blue days!) Alternatively, a colour could be "enforced" (you can only play characters with powers in that day's colour. So you could only play OBW in black, purple and blue days.)

Comments

• MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Encouraging diversity through segregation?
  • Pylgrim
    Well, I believe we can all agree that OBW could use a bit of segregation, in order for other characters and combinations to surface.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I think it would be easier then, to just block certain characters for a tournament. OBW, Ares, CS, etc, but I think blocking a certain color, would force people to only use certain other characters and then those characters would be the ones that everyone uses for lack of better options...
  • Pylgrim
    True, once you restrict the use of certain characters, a new best combination of the characters still available will soon surface... but it will only last one day as the next will force players to pick other combinations.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Along the diversity lines, instead of, or possibly in addition to, the boosted characters in events, it would be interesting if events had nerfed characters.

So, during the Torch event, Punisher and LDaken are nerfed 50% to level 71 max. (picking names out of a hat, no idea if those two actually hurt against Torch)

You could also do that for every * level, so LDaken, Daken, and IM35 are nerfed. It's a little better than locking them out completely since you still have the option to use them, you just pay a price to do so.

Just spitballing.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    So we've all heard how tiring is to face the same [Featured Character] + [Powerful tanky 141 Character] + [OBW/C.Mag] team over and over, right? Here's an idea to encourage (read force) people to try different teams, hopefully allowing them to discover and fall in love with different combinations of characters:

Introducing the Colours Tournament! A 6-day PvP in which each day a different colour is "banned" (i.e. you can't play characters with powers of that colour that day. No OBW during black, purple and blue days!) Alternatively, a colour could be "enforced" (you can only play characters with powers in that day's colour. So you could only play OBW in black, purple and blue days.)

I think a more fun way to encourage diversity is to buff 2-3 characters per event. Have a main 3* cover be manditory and then buff a 2* and possibly a 1*. you can have a Spidy-Venom buffed combo or 2* Wolvie with Falcon. This would also help with the 2* transition as 2* teams can face 3* teams when in MMR hell.