Update point values of opponents in PVP on reset

reckless442
reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
I understand that the game can't be perfectly exact in terms of giving you accurate point values for the opponents that you have lined up in PVP nodes, but nothing is more frustrating than selecting a fight against someone who is worth a lot of points and coming out with a dramatically different amount. At higher score ranges, this is especially problematic because players have to be much more selective in terms of who they choose to attack between shields, the limited number of potential opponents who have value, and the cost incurred by skipping to find opponents. If you break your shield to attack someone who you are being told is worth 30 pts, but only get 10, that is a wasted attempted. And because many opponents get identified immediately after putting up a shield or during the time that a player is shielded, there is a a lot of time when an opponent's scores can change. (I just had an opponent who was supposedly worth 27 points only give me 5, which means that he must have lost a few hundred points between the time I queued him and the time I attacked him.)

To fix this, why can't opponents point values be updated during every game reload? The opponents in the cache are removed and replaced, so why can't the scores of the opponents who are in the nodes be updated at that time? Then the attacker can reload before breaking shield to get a more accurate idea about the values of potential targets. It seems like a minor fix.

Comments

• I had at least 3 matches in the latest pvp listed as being 30+ points that ended up being 12-15. It's not just the points I"m not getting, but the setting myself up for a retaliation down the line. I get they're not always going to be 100% accurate, but when they're this far off then I lose trust in the system and have to skip a dozen times just to try and clear out the cache. It's annoying early in a pvp, but can easily cost you placement late in one.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    +1 for me on this suggestion. It's especially bad since the game seems to queue 3+ (not sure on the number but I know I once queued up seed teams at the beginning and then hit 6 or 7 of them 45 minutes later, plus the time I hit a guy, skipped twice and found him again queued up with the exact same score (which was like 300+ points lower than his ACTUAL score at the time)). Anyway, my point is that you could do 2 or 3 matches and then the guy at the bottom of your queue comes up and he/she may have significantly more or less points as when he/she was queued, but the game doesn't update them. It's really frustrating, and no doubt more so for you guys routinely shield hopping for 1300+ where every time it happens it essentially cost you 75+ hp.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I lose trust in the system and have to skip a dozen times just to try and clear out the cache.
    Forgot to mention - unless it's someone I recognize and either 1) trust they have a high score or 2) can check in their alliance score, which is as close to real-time accurate you can get, I often end up skipping a bunch of times just because of this. It's super annoying to lose out on the iso, but I'd much rather actually get the 35 points I want and expect to get than play a match for 5 minutes and only end up with 20.
  • I thought the values are frozen in time at some point which is why they can't update it? I remember seeing a guy from a recognizable alliance with rating for 800, so I'll go check that alliance and see that guy actually has 1200 and figure that'd be a nice easy 45 points but when I win I don't get that value, and I'm pretty sure it's not because that guy's value dropped by several hundred in the time I won the game.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    I thought the values are frozen in time at some point which is why they can't update it? I remember seeing a guy from a recognizable alliance with rating for 800, so I'll go check that alliance and see that guy actually has 1200 and figure that'd be a nice easy 45 points but when I win I don't get that value, and I'm pretty sure it's not because that guy's value dropped by several hundred in the time I won the game.
    There may have been a bug, because you are supposed to get the current value of the opponent at the time your battle ended. So if the opponent has increased 200 points between the time you queued him or her and when you win the fight, you'll get more points than listed. When you finish the battle, it will only tell you that you won the points listed, but your actual score will be higher. Conversely, if your opponent has tanked while you've been waiting to attack, at the immediate end of the fight, it will say you got the points you expected, but you won't actually get that many in your score.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I thought the values are frozen in time at some point which is why they can't update it? I remember seeing a guy from a recognizable alliance with rating for 800, so I'll go check that alliance and see that guy actually has 1200 and figure that'd be a nice easy 45 points but when I win I don't get that value, and I'm pretty sure it's not because that guy's value dropped by several hundred in the time I won the game.
    There may have been a bug, because you are supposed to get the current value of the opponent at the time your battle ended. So if the opponent has increased 200 points between the time you queued him or her and when you win the fight, you'll get more points than listed. When you finish the battle, it will only tell you that you won the points listed, but your actual score will be higher. Conversely, if your opponent has tanked while you've been waiting to attack, at the immediate end of the fight, it will say you got the points you expected, but you won't actually get that many in your score.

I know the value is supposed to fluctuate based on what they did later, but I've tried to queue up someone that is known to have a very high score, and they'd appear as say 800 rating on my screen and I can wait until they've 1200+ (verified by alliance scoring) but I never get the points I'm expecting. I wonder if your opponent's value locked in after a certain timeframe? If that is the case then it'd explain why sometimes you're never getting the value you think you should be getting against easily verifiable targets.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Confirmed.

Example:
    I just saved a retaliation from ClubberlangX from the X-Men for my last fight. Was waiting in my node for more than a day. It showed 17pts, but I knew it's worth 50. So I went to a fight being at 753pts, won it, the screen showed +17pts and then I got 800pts progression reward and in the rankings I was at 803pts.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Confirmed.

Example:
    I just saved a retaliation from ClubberlangX from the X-Men for my last fight. Was waiting in my node for more than a day. It showed 17pts, but I knew it's worth 50. So I went to a fight being at 753pts, won it, the screen showed +17pts and then I got 800pts progression reward and in the rankings I was at 803pts.

And all this time I thought the server score was just messed up and displaying random values!

I wonder not updating the value of your PvP opponents is related to how originally in PvE your nodes didn't always update with the correct value of what they're worth.
  • ... If you break your shield to attack someone who you are being told is worth 30 pts, but only get 10, that is a wasted attempted. ...

To fix this, why can't opponents point values be updated during every game reload?

Obviously the healthy design would not depend on game restart, just have a 'refresh' button you could use to get the most recent info (and could trivially have a time-based cooldown if server load is estimated as problem).

But it's only waste for you, from D3 perspective you're quite welcome to buy another shield. icon_evil.gif So don't hold your breath, we need a radical change in approach before anything like this is getting considered to even put on the backlog.
  • Phantron wrote:
    And all this time I thought the server score was just messed up and displaying random values!

The post-game screen always showed the value from what it calculated at start of the match as expected outcome from your points shown at bottom of window and the value it presented for the battle.