Cover Converter

Hey guys,

I made this suggestion to IceIX during that day he answered a lot of questions, but didn't answered this one.

I believe we need a cover converter for the game. For example...
I have a 3 4 5 Psylocke. Imagine I earn a Black cover during a PVP, let's say, for placement in top 50.
Instead of selling the cover for 500 iso-8, was offered the opportunity to convert it to a Red cover for 500 HP.

It would be cheaper (of course) than buying the actual cover for 1250 HP (after all, I earned it) and I think it would be financialy viable for D3 too.
Imagine a mid-level player, that really want to level a character, and there's only one cover he needs. Instead of waiting that cover to show up on a lucky pull or a prize, it would cross his mind to spend 500 HP converting it, the same HP he was saving to buy a roster slot for example, but not expecting to spend 1250 HP to upgrade (it is expensive).

What do you guys think? I suggested this value of 500 HP because its not cheap and many times, even when the convertion is needed, you don't have the hurry to max a character or the HP.

And if you think that the 3* roster is expanding, it becomes harder and harder to earn the covers you need.

Comments

• reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    I think it's a very good idea. I suspect the Devs might feel that this would lower cover pack sales, particularly those of a character in its first PVP when its featured. I could see them being concerned that people might get a second cover of a color they have and instead of buying more packs in an attempt to get the cover they don't have, they would just convert the second cover. Perhaps there could be a waiting period after a character is introduced during which you couldn't convert covers. Since they usually do two PVPs for a new character within the first month, maybe the waiting period could extend through the second PVP in which the character is featured.
  • I could see them being concerned that people might get a second cover of a color they have and instead of buying more packs in an attempt to get the cover they don't have, they would just convert the second cover.

A way to fix that would be that you can only convert a new cover to the colour you want if you already have at least one in the colour. So it would work like respeccing does, with the convert buttons only active on the colours you can apply it to.

For example : a player with a 3* Thor 1r, 1y, 0g, who pulls another yellow cover could choose to apply it, or convert it (at whatever cost) to red. It can't be applied to green as there are no existing covers.
  • Amanda1983 wrote:
    I could see them being concerned that people might get a second cover of a color they have and instead of buying more packs in an attempt to get the cover they don't have, they would just convert the second cover.

A way to fix that would be that you can only convert a new cover to the colour you want if you already have at least one in the colour. So it would work like respeccing does, with the convert buttons only active on the colours you can apply it to.

For example : a player with a 3* Thor 1r, 1y, 0g, who pulls another yellow cover could choose to apply it, or convert it (at whatever cost) to red. It can't be applied to green as there are no existing covers.

Maybe limit the conversion only if you have the power fully covered already.

Or maybe if you already have 10+ covers.
  • My initial thought was to only be able to do this with covers you already have 5 of. Covers whose only value is to be sold. That would make this mechanic a way to help you finish a character, not jumpstart a new release
  • I guess the problem with only being able to convert a cover you already have 5 of, is you don't always *want* 5 covers in that colour to begin with.

At the moment I'm applying every 3* cover I get because they're so rare, but I already have some sub-optimal builds taking shape. My LT is sitting at 3r 1y 1g at the moment. If I get another red cover, I'm going to apply it because it's better than nothing, but it's going to be respecced just as soon as I can (without paying for individual covers, because I refuse to be frustrated into purchases).

I realise that any ability to convert would have some impact on the game's bottom line (due to less money spent by frustrated players who keep pulling the one cover colour they don't need). But this seems like a balanced way to address the issues caused by an ever more diluted character pool. There would also be a carry-on effect to cover pack sales - those percentages suck, but would suck a lot less to players who could convert 1 or more unwanted covers.

Without some kind of change to the way players can get covers, progression is looking increasingly grim.