What is the point of the game and Version 2?

Options
yogi_
yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Devs,

So, I've been reading a few threads recently and a theme I've noticed among a number of them is what is the point of the game.

A number of players have a lot of max characters and that is great, but then what?

Could you maybe introduce some new modes or something, even as a trial that offer a variation. Maybe boss rounds that you can pause? Maybe new game modes that randomly block certain characters, maybe, I dunno, other stuff.

But more broadly, this is a game; how do you "win" it? Is there some sort of arc of achievement? (or is is just collecting cards).

Is there an end (or a naturally paused ending where you can feel a sense of personal achievment) and no, I am not talking about the relentless grind of season points.

Could you do something as "risky" as rebuilding the game (at least from the character end) with the input of members on here and starting it as a new something - a version 2 / sequel. Out there, I know, but people here would have amazing ideas. I remember someone suggesting about having a base character, which you can then individually add skills and costumes too - like a skill tree. Some else said something about taking a look at the ranking level of current characters. Probably called Marvel Puzzle Quest (without Dark Reign), so you open up the full cast - hundreds of individual characters and storylines you can tie events too. Seriously, people would give you there time without asking for much (though I would suggest giving something cause at the end of the day it would be work for your ultimate profit) and with a facilitator would do a kick **** job. A community dev team, of sorts.

Just me musing, throwing stuff around off the top of my head.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This is my first f2p continuous game if you do not count logging into "Happy Street" last year to help my pre-schooler nephew build weird houses for no reason. Do other games like Clash of Clans have end modes?

I thought of this as a Puzzle Quest that would never end and that was all I wanted. WAS. I did not think about it hard enough, obviously.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    This is my first f2p continuous game if you do not count logging into "Happy Street" last year to help my pre-schooler nephew build weird houses for no reason. Do other games like Clash of Clans have end modes?

I thought of this as a Puzzle Quest that would never end and that was all I wanted. WAS. I did not think about it hard enough, obviously.

Download tos (tower of saviors) for a match game that looks like it evolved over time to have something a little more like an end game. I have no idea if it has PvP of any kind though...so it functions differently by nature. Regardless, it looks like they added new sections and more daily events and things as they go. Maybe to the point that thier screen is confusing to someone who just downloaded, but d...regardless...

This even has some form of end mode, its just nit out yet...as the story is kinda the "end mode." The story is coming out WAYYYY too slowly for that though. It's had far too many repeats honestly.

Also, the thread I made about boss mode was originally a response to you OP. It just got long enough it warranted more than just to be a response. Regardless..it was a response lol.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Any game that has a "win" element to it means you reach it and you're done with the game. Which would mean players and thereby, income loss and eventually the game's decline. That's the reason why you won't see online games officially declaring a "you win" scenario. The point of the game has always been simple, match 3 or more tiles in a row ad nauseum until you defeat your opponent and get reward(s) or get your behind handed to you, rinse, repeat.

Considering that this is the latest version of puzzle quest, asking for a version 2 now seems a bit early really. I would suggest you do a search on Puzzle Quest. You might just be surprised. icon_e_wink.gif

Anyway, just to point out that it has been said more than a few times that they have licensing for pretty much the whole universe and are not restricted to just Dark Reign.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a match 3 game, I know. No "end game", I guess. Would be cool to have more modes etc, as others have discussed.

More importantly though, I think the concept of how the characters all are presented needs an overhaul.

If you stick with having characters like now with established attributes, maybe characters can be categorised by their Ages (Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern) and rather than stars, characters are just more or less powerful because of their abilities / costs of abilities.

Another (connected?) idea is having buildable skill trees for characters - points can go into regular matching moves or upgrades. Costumes (which I know they are not super fond of such an idea) or other ideas, etc. etc. Maybe a roster of Modern Age characters.