MTG / Marvel crossover

Janosik
Janosik Posts: 525 Critical Contributor

Marvel characters coming to paper MTG!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/the-magic-the-gathering-marvel-collaboration-begins

So... er... this probably isn't how licenses work at all, I don't know, but if 505 Games owns both the Marvel Puzzle Quest and Magic Puzzle Quest licenses.... any chance we can get these MTG cards?! O‿O

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 17 October 2024, 23:53

Considering there's no Lord of the Rings, no Assassin's Creed, no Stranger Things... I'm guessing no. Not unless Disney gets a cut of the revenue from both games, and I'm not sure that Hasboro would want to give up a cut of profits from this game in perpetuity just to get the Marvel universes beyond cards into the game.

Additionally it's more likely that next year's Universes Beyond big set is going to be the Final Fantasy release, both because of the timing and size of that IP while Marvel will likely be more akin to the Dr Who crossover with just some premade decks. (March of the Machines Aftermath already proved the small boosters they had planned to do for Assassin's Creed and other future sets were widely hated, and they've scrapped them going forward) Ultimately this makes the Marvel set probably on the smaller side and not something they could realistically do a full crossover into this game