Night of the Hunt

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,394 Chairperson of the Boards

Event Type: PvP Coalition

No entry fee

Deck Restrictions: Standard

Number of nodes: 2

Planeswalkers Allowed: White, Blue or Green (Top Node), Black or Red (Bottom Node)

Duration: 46h

**Charges (per node): **6

Total Charges: 12

Progression + Ranking rewards

Sometimes, survivors in the Floodpits hear their own drowning voices crying out for help. Only the ones who flee immediately live to speak of it.

As they delve deeper into the mansion, it becomes clear that every corner of that house harbors dangers. Every minute is a fight for survival where the search for a way out of that place is endless.

Special Rules

Once you choose a node, you’ll battle players who selected the other.
This event features a different event support for each player, one spawned by the player and one by the opponent.

OBJECTIVES

Survivors: Relentless Resilience

• Win the Fight!

• Win the fight against your opponent!
    • Reward: 200 Mana Runes, +5 Score, +5 Coalition Points
  • Mankind

• Cast 4 or more Creatures with the following subtype: Human.
    • Reward: +3 Score, +3 Coalition Points
  • Identity

• Match 15 or more gems of your Planeswalker colors with swaps during a single fight.
    • Reward: +2 Score, +2 Coalition Points

Razorkin: On the Hunt

• Win the Fight!

• Win the fight against your opponent!
    • Reward: 200 Mana Runes, +5 Score, +5 Coalition Points
  • Destroyer

• Destroy 4 or more opposing creatures during a single fight.
  • Assault

• Attack 10 or more times during a single fight.
    • Reward: +2 Score, +2 Coalition Points

REWARDS

Comments

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 47 Just Dropped In

Many thanks for devising a rule that matches players to relevant opponents, rather than just the blanket rule of "any opponent" and hoping for the best. The choice seems not very impactful, but I will put that down to avoiding potential imbalance. Also, I reiterate that mechanics based on card type, in this case Human, restrict player interaction more than they create engagement.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited 11 October 2024, 15:29

@Magic:PQ Support Team said:

• Destroyer

We've not had one of these objectives in a coalition event in a while, and it's not an especially popular one. The reason is that you can potentially, randomly, be matched up against a Greg who has plays with zero creatures in his deck. Many players will therefore fail this objective through no fault of their own.

It is possible to give creatures to Greg (in the past we've had to use cards like Dowsing Dagger or Awaken the Erstwhile) but cards like this are extraordinarily rare. I think there's maybe one in the whole of current Standard, altho maybe I missed one.

A good way to solve this problem would be to have the event support which starts on the board create creatures for Greg, or for both players? Perhaps if a player would gain a 1/1 creature at the start of their turn? Maybe they only gain such a creature if they have no creatures in play? There are plenty of possibilities!

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker

@Janosik said:

@Magic:PQ Support Team said:

• Destroyer

We've not had one of these objectives in a coalition event in a while, and it's not an especially popular one. The reason is that you can potentially, randomly, be matched up against a Greg who has plays with zero creatures in his deck. Many players will therefore fail this objective through no fault of their own.

It is possible to give creatures to Greg (in the past we've had to use cards like Dowsing Dagger or Awaken the Erstwhile) but cards like this are extraordinarily rare. I think there's maybe one in the whole of current Standard, altho maybe I missed one.

A good way to solve this problem would be to have the event support which starts on the board create creatures for Greg, or for both players? Perhaps if a player would gain a 1/1 creature at the start of their turn? Maybe they only gain such a creature if they have no creatures in play? There are plenty of possibilities!

100% agree with this - there should never be an objective that relies on the opponent's deck. It should be possible to complete all objectives whatever deck you face.