BOSS EVENT] OMEGA RECKONING - 09/12/24 - 09/15/24

2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 12 September 2024, 15:55

I would also add that we hear sooooooooo much about how it is the "community" that holds MPQ together!

"Guys I can't play Omega Red Boss event, my sister died"

" GET OUT!! FOUL SCUM!! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PRIZES?!?!?? OH THE RESENTMENT GOES UP TO 11 ON THIS ONE!"

• MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 240 Tile Toppler

Are we going to go through the same **** every boss event? Can't do anything right now.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 12 September 2024, 16:20

@DAZ0273 said:
    I would also add that we hear sooooooooo much about how it is the "community" that holds MPQ together!

" GET OUT!! FOUL SCUM!! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PRIZES?!?!?? OH THE RESENTMENT GOES UP TO 11 ON THIS ONE!"

I've learned not to outright say stuff like this anymore (everybody yells at me and it starts worthless fights!), but I agree with you basically 100%.

• entrailbucket
    edited 12 September 2024, 16:24

@DAZ0273 said:

@JediJones77 said:

@pepitedechocolat said:

the idea between alliances is to link players together so everyone grow up and get rewarded for it. The spirit of mercing is picking random guy to buffer the score, sometimes removing one of your guy, definitely against initial goal.

You make it sound like a nefarious thing. How about the scenario where someone has an emergency in the middle of the event and can't continue playing, then you temporarily bring in a friend who doesn't have time to play the game on a daily basis, but will work hard in the boss event? If you can't do that, then it inspires resentment among the entire alliance towards the one person who couldn't play it through and kept them from ranking higher. That's not a healthy thing for an alliance. Most likely that person will get kicked out so that it doesn't happen again, whereas they could've stayed if they were allowed to be swapped out temporarily with someone else.

Christ if someone suffering a real life emergency ends up in the rest of the Alliance having so little empathy that they resent missing out on a few digital rewards I have to question what the hell is wrong with those people. They sound like total arseholes!

This is exactly what happens, and this particular attitude has been normalized among the top players to the point where if you don't agree with it, you're part of a tiny minority and everybody thinks you're weird/wrong.

When I talk about 1s vs 20s this is what I'm talking about. The top is just a big pile of 1s now. In the long ago past, it was a bunch of 20s at the top.

From 2014 or so (I think?), our alliance was a 20 and we operated that way. We were pretty consistently between top 10 and top 25, with occasional higher performances if we felt like it. Over the years we found it increasingly hard to recruit competitive players who were interested in team play, and eventually had to go public and let anybody in.

• DAZ0273

I'm not gonna pretend my alliance is a big boy one so maybe it is easy to have the attitude I do but we take Boss events seriously and just a few months ago one of our members was really sorry he couldn't play as he had a real life event that clashed - he was getting married! Not only did we tell him no worries we told him he had far better things to do that didn't involve us!

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,337 Chairperson of the Boards

Face it they will never stop this. If the company would say starting with the Oct boss event you will be locked in. Game would be bankrupted by end of Oct since the buyers club would no longer buy

Face it whoever gives them the most money will be the ones the bow down to

Also why the hell do I get 30 to 50 emails a day from either Harris or trump asking me to give them 10 bucks for their run ... I emailed them back said they are millionaires or better pay for your own damn ads. Lol 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 i

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,157 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I've learned not to outright say stuff like this anymore (everybody yells at me and it starts worthless fights!), but I agree with you basically 100%.

Well one way they could address this is to just take the top 15 scores in each alliance when determining alliance scores. That way you could have 5 players 'miss' being perfect on an event and still take first place.

KGB

• entrailbucket

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Well one way they could address this is to just take the top 15 scores in each alliance when determining alliance scores. That way you could have 5 players 'miss' being perfect on an event and still take first place.

KGB

This isn't a bad idea, and I think it would help groups who prioritized the good of the team over individual rewards. It might even create some new ones.

I'm not sure what it would do for folks like the ones currently at the top. They'd have to make sure those 5 slots were used "fairly" at all times. They'd need to create some sort of schedule to make sure that the zero-score players (because those 5 slots would be zeroed) were rotated evenly throughout the 500 people in their alliance family, and that everyone was contributing exactly equally.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,782 Chairperson of the Boards

Just seems odd to me they care about PVE shuffling while allowing endless collaboration of pvp scores because that generates an income.

TBH I didn't even know the boss event one was a thing.

• DAZ0273

@Tony_Foot said:
    Just seems odd to me they care about PVE shuffling while allowing endless collaboration of pvp scores because that generates an income.

PvP collaboration is pre BCS so easy to see how they can say that is already too ingrained whereas competitive Boss events is their baby so makes sense for them to tell these alliances to knock it off and stop taking the piss all the time.

• entrailbucket

@Tony_Foot said:

It's the same group of people doing both things, so it's weird that they'd antagonize them at all if they really need that revenue stream (I think the answer is that they actually don't need it).

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,682 Chairperson of the Boards

I fail to see how making the top rewards available to more people will anger the people who were exploiting/max-min-ing/shuffling (whatever category they fell into) to chase placement. Making the rewards more broadly available was actually a requested solution, I believe.

I also think the players who spend in that category will continue to do so either way (before or after) regardless of this change.

Like at most you're probably talking about 20 or 40 players who might feel like they aren't winning now? But they still get the same stuff, they just don't get some minor competitive advantage from others not getting them, which very likely - for the players in this range - will not impact anyone's relative competitiveness.

At least, certainly not with these supports being the ones in question.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,571 Chairperson of the Boards

I have a guess. You all aren't going to do ****.
    Do something I dare you.
    Empty threats. Thanks chumps.

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 107 Tile Toppler

@S0kun said:
    Here's the latest info for the upcoming OMEGA RECKONING boss event!

We're also excited to announce that for this event, the Alliance top rewards have been expanded to a wider reward pool of Top 25 alliances. This was done to ease the pressure at the top of the leaderboards and remind our players that taking advantage of exploits to move up the leaderboards is something that we strongly discourage.

For all upcoming Boss Events, we'll be closely monitoring alliance sizes to ensure a level playing field for all participants and will take punitive measures if necessary so please pass along the memo. :)

Hi S0kun, so now that the event is over, can you let us know what specifically was the concern that was alluded to here?

I know that the game tracks both the original set of 20 members that joined the heroic event for a specific alliance (visible through clicking Player Rank from within the heroic) as well as the current / ending roster of members (if different - by clicking Alliance Rank, then selecting the score of your alliance). So clearly the capability of finding alliances where the members switched during the event is pretty easy to differentiate.

My question remains, are you concerned about this as an exploit (changing members mid-event) or are there more nefarious exploits in the wild?

I could foresee some situations where bouncing from alliance to alliance could yield extra hits, which might go against the spirit of the event, which might, or might not, be viewed the same as a family of alliances restructuring their players to help ensure alliance placement by redistributing scores. But you specifically mentioned alliance sizes, which I don’t think has anything to do with this.

Could we please get some clarification before the next boss event?

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker

@dianetics said:
    I have a guess. You all aren't going to do ****.
    Do something I dare you.
    Empty threats. Thanks chumps.

100% agree. Nothing but empty threats