Race to Orazca

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 17 October 2024, 16:19 in Event Details

Event Type: PvP Coalition Standard

No entry fee

Planeswalker restrictions: Monocolored nodes (all colors)

Number of nodes: 5

Duration: 46h

Charges per node: 3 (total 15 charges)

Progression, Rank rewards

OBJECTIVES

White Node

War of Sun and Dusk

All Vampires gain Vigilance. Whenever a player gains life, if that player controls a Vampire, reinforce a creature token that player controls. All Dinosaurs get +0/+2. While a player controls a Dinosaur, that player's Humans gain First Strike. Active 1: Disable your opponent's first creature until the beginning of your next turn.

• Win the Fight!

• Win the fight against your opponent!
    • Reward: 200 Mana Runes, +5 Score
  • Burst

• Cast 5 or less creatures during a single fight.
    • Reward: +3 Score
  • Comeback

• Take 30 or more damage during a single fight.

Reward: +2 Score

Blue Node

Clash of Waves and Cannons

All Pirates get +2/+0 and "When this creature enters the battlefield, a support you control gains 1 shield and a support your opponent controls loses 1 shield". All Merfolk gain Unblockable and "Whenever you cast a spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn." At the beginning of every player's turn, that player draws a card.

• Win the Fight!

• Commander

• Cast 4 or more creatures within a single fight.
  • Anti-Magic

• Cast 5 or less spells during a single fight.
    • Reward: +2 Score

Black Node

Through Fasts and High Waters

All Pirates get +2/+0 and "Whenever this creature dies, the last reinforced creature your opponent controls gets -1/-1." All Vampires gain Flying and "Whenever your opponent loses life, this creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn." At the beginning of every player's turn, that player loses 1 life.

• Win the Fight!

• Protector

• Have 5 or fewer creatures you control destroyed or exiled during a fight.
  • Resilient

• Take 30 or less damage during a single fight.

Red Node

Visions of Glory and Gold

All Pirates get Haste and "Whenever this creature attacks, find a Treasure". All Dinosaurs gain "When this creature enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to the last creature your opponent controls." While a player controls a Human, that player's Dinosaurs cost 3 less. At the beginning of every player's turn, that player draws a card. At the end of every player's turn, that player discards a card.

• Win the Fight!

• Spellcaster

• Cast 4 or more Spells during a single fight.
  • Survivor

• Have 40 or less HP remaining at the end of a fight.

Green Node

Blessings of Rivers and Jungles

All Merfolks get +1/+1 and "When this creature enters the battlefield, increase the cost of the first card in your opponent's hand by 2." All Dinosaurs get +1/+1. While a player controls a Human, that player's Dinosaurs gain Regenerate 1. At the beginning of every player's turn, convert 4 gems to that player's Planeswalker colors.

• Win the Fight!

• Destroyer

• Destroy 4 creatures or more during a single fight.
  • Speed

• Win within 12 rounds.

REWARDS

Post your strategies for this event below!

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,090 Chairperson of the Boards

Please consider changing the Survivor objective on the red node, which requires you to win with 40 or less HP. Such objectives are historically not well received.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 846 Critical Contributor

@Magic:PQ Support Team Did you see the remark above? Please confirm if the event will run as listed here or if there are any planned changes.

• Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker

Pretty please, with a cherry on top, can you change the 40 or less HP to 40 or more HP?

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 525 Critical Contributor
    edited 17 October 2024, 10:40

@khurram said:
    Please consider changing the Survivor objective on the red node, which requires you to win with 40 or less HP. Such objectives are historically not well received.

Indeed. You absolutely cannot rely on Greg to deal you the correct amount of damage so you generally have to damage yourself. Is this what we play for? And then you'll probably need to win immediately after you've done that, to avoid being taken out by, say Tempt with Bunnies or Grist's 3rd PW ability.

There's a level on Revolt Against The Consulate with a "Win with <=X life" objective (Node 5: Heroic Intervention), and I bet if you were to check the stats you'd find the majority of players just ignore that objective. But players who want to score the best for their team really don't like to ignore objectives during coalition events.

• fatMan
    fatMan Posts: 13 Just Dropped In

Everyone else is accurate -- piling on here. How in the world are we going to do self damage with a red monocolored walker?!?!?! I hate this event already and it's not even started.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 846 Critical Contributor

@Janosik said:

@khurram said:

Indeed. You absolutely cannot rely on Greg to deal you the correct amount of damage so you generally have to damage yourself. Is this what we play for? And then you'll probably need to win immediately after you've done that, to avoid being taken out by, say Tempt with Bunnies or Grist's 3rd PW ability.

There's a level on Revolt Against The Consulate with a "Win with <=X life" objective (Node 5: Heroic Intervention), and I bet if you were to check the stats you'd find the majority of players just ignore that objective. But players wanted to score the best for their team really don't like to ignore objectives during coalition events.

I'm one of the players that does NOT ignore it, but it's better I do, because the game doesn't count your HP correctly after the match ends. So this is a recipe for disaster for coming weekend.

• Janosik
    edited 17 October 2024, 10:43

@Machine said:

I'm one of the players that does NOT ignore it, but it's better I do, because the game doesn't count your HP correctly after the match ends. So this is a recipe for disaster for coming weekend.

Oh, I'd forgotten about this. As far as I remember there's a couple of bugs that apply here:

1) 'Life loss' (as apposed to damage) seems to be added back onto your life total as soon as the game ends and therefore does not count for this objective.
    2) PW healing, which happens between games, seems to start during games, as soon as you lose life/take damage, and you can find when you get to the end that you have healed a few HP, that your life total on the objective screen is a little higher than you ended the game with, and that you therefore might fail an objective.

Is this correct?

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    edited 17 October 2024, 15:36

Legacy event right?

Easy fix...

1. Just start a match in Training grounds.
    2. Quit. Leaves you wiht 14 hit points (iss)
    3. Start Event node.
    4. Win in less than 3 rounds.
    5. Collect Spoils.

Easy peasy.

Everyone has Omni now, right?

EDIT:

Nope, not Legacy, it's a standard event... Hmmmm... That's interesting.

So, in Red, we have to take some damage, but not die?

That's a mind bender, what are we thinking here people. I'll ask the smarter people in my Server.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards

@Machine Yeah, the event is as described above.

@fatMan, the nodes are monocolored but NOT the Planeswalkers. It means you need one PW of each color, but you can use a Black and Red PW for the Red node, for example.

• Janosik

@gozmaster said:
    Legacy event right?

Easy fix...

1. Just start a match in Training grounds.
    2. Quit. Leaves you wiht 14 hit points (iss)
    3. Start Event node.
    4. Win in less than 3 rounds.
    5. Collect Spoils.

Easy peasy.

Everyone has Omni now, right?

EDIT:

Nope, not Legacy, it's a standard event... Hmmmm... That's interesting.

This neatly sums up everything that's wrong with Legacy doesn't it ^_^

• gozmaster

lol, Succinctly @Janosik .

However, with as much lockdown control as there is in STD now (IE Aegis/Kitnap, ambiguity, etc)

This approach is STILL plausible with heavy removal.

What a fun event this will be. lol

• Janosik

@gozmaster said:

That's a mind bender, what are we thinking here people. I'll ask the smarter people in my Server.

Well there's always the old exploit where you play with a Planeswalker well below level 60 that has a maximum life total 40 or below. People hate that one, don't they, because if they thought they were playing fair by levelling up their PWs to lvl60, there's literally now way to ever level them back down again. And there are associated side hustles.... It's a whole can of worms.

I don't think that kind of gaming the system should be important part of the game but I can imagine people doing it here.

• gozmaster

yeah we discussed this in my server, my concern with the.. Sandbagging a lower walker, is the mana gains.

The Meta is SO fast right now, It'd take a pretty insane build to ensure you don't get caught by greg and his pesky cascade shenanigans.