35,287,224 or 329 characters

Options
bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards

There are 329 characters in the game which means there are over 35 million different teams you can build. Every character (1-5 tier) being ascendable means all of them are possible options for a player.

Any effect I can think of is in the game at this point.

New characters often have their own special point systems or tiles so that they can be unique among the vast range of powers and characters. Which also limits their synergy, often. (See Vic whose locked tiles are unique among locked tile users.)

Many people want to see some specific character like say Captain Britain or Banshee or some other favorite (or joke) but the game is kind of full of things you can do.

It’s just striking me today that I don’t care about more characters at all as I have a whole slew I can develop, champ, work on already.

Ascension opened up a lot of options. A LOT.

I know…more characters, new things and all. Gotta use roster slots. Except dupes are required for every character you might ascend - often many of them!

I’m not foolish enough to think the assembly line will shut down for even a moment, new characters must be produced. It’s just….I dunno. It all seems like it’s going off the rails somehow to me this week.

Almost every new character is greeted with a shrug.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 15 March 2024, 14:22
    Options

For players like me this is a godsend. Since the beginning, this game has had WAY TOO MANY characters. Knowing what they all do and levelling them all up takes a long time and a lot of learning and experimenting.

Since the beginning, that levelling and learning and experimenting has been totally worthless, if not detrimental. The optimal path was to pick the best guys and use them for everything forever, and that's what 99% of competitive players did.

You can still do that! It works great! But for players who want more depth, more options, and more variety, now it's there. If you don't want that, you can still just level up the best guys and do just fine.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 15 March 2024, 14:39
    Options

You cant have duplicate characters so your 5 Wolverines are effectively 1. Your 500 spidermen are 1.

Still it is a **** ton of combinations. Probably in the range of 200-250 unique characters.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 17 March 2024, 09:31
    Options

Math nerd comment - The 35,287,224 assumes that order matters, so Chasm/iHulk/SheHulk is a different team than iHulk/Chasm/SheHulk.

Assuming order does not matter, divide that number by 6 for the total number of possible teams, which leaves 5,881,204.

N-choose-K: Picking 3 out of 329 possible choices
    329! / (3! x ((329-3)!)
    (329 x 328 x 327 * 326!) / (3 x 2 x 1 x (326!))
    (329 x 328 x 327) / (3 x 2 x 1)
    35,287,224 / 6

(This number also includes impossible teams, like Iron Man Mark XLIV/Hulkbuster/IM40. Eliminating those would reduce the number slightly.)

(Edited to get the multiplication symbols correct. Putting "*" characters around text changes their formatting.)

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So many choices, yet I see the same PVP teams over and over again lol

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DyingLegend said:

Thats because there are lots of potential teams but 90 percent aren't possible due to ascending taking so long to take them to the right level.

KGB

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:

@DyingLegend said:

Thats because there are lots of potential teams but 90 percent aren't possible due to ascending taking so long to take them to the right level.

KGB

And 90% of the players who do have the resources to ascend characters are only interested in using the same two guys, over and over, forever.

• NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options

The same problem for years has been too many character and not enough events.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@NMANOZ1 said:
    The same problem for years has been too many character and not enough events.

One makes money.
    The other one does not.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@KGB said:

@DyingLegend said:

KGB

And 90% of the players who do have the resources to ascend characters are only interested in using the same two guys, over and over, forever.

I guess I'm of the 10% then, I still have several 4s I'd like to ascend and use asap. I'm finally getting around to working on the first (Nico), was busy getting my last fun/niche 5* champable via his feeder... Gorr comes next, then probably Karnak or Coulson. I've got a few others in mind that I need to check numbers for, I think Kate Pryde is promising and it'd be really cool to field an actually viable 5* Web team (thinking 2099 and SM India w/ Chasm)