New Support - Leapfrog (Amphibious Transport)

Options
S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 389 Mover and Shaker

Name:

Leapfrog (Amphibious Transport)

Release Date:

March 14, 2024

Requirements:

Equip: Any Character
Synergy: Runaways

Perks (Max Level)

Rank 1:
Leapfrog has 3 Battery Charges. At 0 Battery Charges, Leapfrog deactivates. At the start of the battle, if there are Supernatural enemies, Create a Protect tile with between 63 to 1924 strength based on the supported character’s rarity. When the supported character makes a Match-4 or greater deal 8.00% damage and consume 1 Battery Charge.

Rank 3:
Increase Battery Charges by 1. Once per turn, if the supported character or an ally takes at least 15% of their max health in damage, heal 15.00% of their max health, then create an invisibility tile targeting them and consume 1 Battery Charge.

Rank 5:
Increase Battery Charges by 1. Once per turn, if the supported character or an ally’s health falls below 30% or would go Down, consume 2 Battery Charges and send them Away for 1 turn. When they return they heal 29.00% of their max health, then fire a random power if the supported character is a Runaway.

Synergy:
At the start of the battle or when the supported character or an ally fires a Power, Improve a random friendly Strike or Protect tile between 63 and 1154 based on the supported character’s rarity if one exists, otherwise, Create a Protect tile of the same strength.

Additional Notes

With the Runaways synergy, we've also made some rebalances to the following base characters + their ascended versions across the board to increase their effectiveness with the Leapfrog (Amphibious Transport) support.

4 Star: Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways)
4 Star: Karolina Dean (Runaways)
4 Star: Nico Minoru (Runaways)

Comments

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Interesting!
    It's not going to help accelerate any matches, but I respect the robust protection & healing.
    I was excited for a moment to see rebalances for 2 duds, but I assume "to increase their effectiveness with the Leapfrog" only refers to giving them access to protection tiles early in the match.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Rank 5 will be awesome if/when these are ever usable in PvP.

• SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Does this mean we'll get the rest of the Runaways Alex, Molly, Doombot, Gib, Chase, Rufus?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Notice the support:
    1. Scales the strength of the Protect/Strike based on character rarity
    2. Heals on a percentage basis

This is consistent with a number of other recent supports.

This is important because inserting supports into pvp needs to be handled somewhat carefully regarding scaling. The flat numbers on a lot of older supports can seem somewhat small to high rosters yet overwhelmingly powerful to smaller 3*
    ones.

The devs have mentioned rebalancing supports for PvP and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of older ones get adjusted to be similar to this design with rarity determined strength of SAPs and % effects instead of flat numbers.

This looks like a pretty good support for Runaways, would be nice to have Nico get some free tiles to buff.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 02:54
    Options

Are we going to get details on those three character rebalances? Art is wildly different than other art in the game, is this a new look?

• bluewolf
    Options

The rebalances are live.

All at number bumps, no changes to effects.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 14:14
    Options

Who or what are supernatural

Wonder how much this support will really be used

How good of a support would this be if you ran

Team
    Runaway
    Kitty
    Polaris

Or
    Runaway
    Beta
    Polaris

If looking to run those teams is the support worth chasing

Also it starts at 3 charges.. you make. 3. 4 or better matches goes to zero and makes that strike ... Does it reset to 3 or does it just die and you need to repower. (meaning a rank 1. Is mostly junk )

O see it says start of battle so mostly a one and done ?

Thanks

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Supernatural people.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Not to be confused with:

Or even

• bluewolf
    edited 14 March 2024, 15:36
    Options

This to me is clearly designed around PVP, much like the Totem Dagger.

Or they plan to radically overhaul PVE/add new ones with enemies that aren't 90% Dark Avengers/affiliation-less goons.

Example: the Hood is not Supernatural, and he's in a a lot of PVE nodes. I guess you see DOOM a few times. Why include that specific effect unless the plan is you use it in PVP where there are lots of Supernatural characters that might be run?

That said, if you wanted to switch around supports for specific nodes, the removal of swap limits helps a lot there.

Welcome to the future!

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Pantera236 said:

Supernatural people.

Thanks. Didn't know people were grouped. (shows how long it's been since really play..mostly just log in and match the pretty colors )

And that show should of ended 5 years before it did

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@slidecage said:

@Pantera236 said:

Supernatural people.

Thanks. Didn't know people were grouped. (shows how long it's been since really play..mostly just log in and match the pretty colors )

And that show should of ended 5 years before it did

Cancelling the right show at the right time has never been the CW's strength.

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I think I liked Supports more when they had five different abilities, and they were simple. I don't envision myself using this one.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Heartbreaksoup said:
    I think I liked Supports more when they had five different abilities, and they were simple. I don't envision myself using this one.

Agreed. And one could say the same about character powers. I still have no idea what 5*Hunter does. Tried to read it and came away confused. When I had to use her in essential, I just ignored her.

• bluewolf
    edited 15 March 2024, 13:08
    Options

Thinking more about this one, I assume there are no charge indicators, like other supports that have an effect that ends after a few triggers.

The match-4 - or health save - both using charges isn’t exactly great, as I assume the match-4 is likely to use up the charges before the health save might trigger..

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Mmmm I don't like the super limitedness of it. Especially with a too-easy and meh power at rank 1 sucking up charges. Very much seems like a pvp-oriented support.