Battle for the Ages Exclusive Pack odds

Options

I saw today that 2 more rares where added to the BftA rewards pack. The first 2 rares (filligree cylex and altar) were hotly discussed and contested because of the quality of orb mining that these pack used to offer, before adding rares. That decision can't be reversed.
However: With the first rares the percentages to pull the various cards was split evenly between the rarities, 33% for MP, 33% Mythic and 33% Rare.
Now that more rares have been added, the devs could have easily opted to at least keep the percentages the same. But sadly they have not!
Devs, adding rares was bad enough, but could you at least keep the percentages to an equal 33% per rarity?

Comments

• TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options

• Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

I agree. I don't think it's fair to change the percentages. Many players have been holding these packs, and by changing the percentages, the devs have made these packs worse. That's not fair. It should be returned to 33% chance to pull each of the three card types.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I just looked at the percentages of the packs, and it looks like they changed the percentages back already! Is everyone else seeing this?

Thanks Webcore! <3 🥰

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    edited 10 March 2024, 14:40
    Options

Incidentally, we the players kinda hate the fact that the new cards in BftA boosters are rares now. Is this a decision you've been reluctantly forced to take to preserve the economy in the game, or are you just doing what Oktagon were doing when you took over? Because the only reason they started giving us 2 new rares in the packs rather than a bunch of Mythics was that they got lazy. They totally forgot to add new cards after one set, put the Vanguards from that set in, and pretended that was their intention the whole time ^_^

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options

I hate the fact that there are Rare cards in BftA exclusive pack.
    I also hate to admit, that the times I got a MP dupe card from this pack compensate for the times I got a Rare dupe card.
    The pack was Mythic-only at first, and iirc they've added MP cards from the Anniversary Ultimate Planeswalk event there, which was a nice surprise. And then they dumpened (typo intended) the mood with some Rare exclusive cards.

Basically,
    Ver.1 (Mythic-only) was neutral from the psychological POV: if you already have all cards in the pack, you'd get 500 orbs. It didn't matter what dupe was converted, there were all the same;
    Ver.2 (Mythic+) had a gacha/lottery feel to it. You had a chance to get a x5 amount of orbs now and then, but 500 orbs were still a guarantee. It was a certainty mixed with hope, both positive feelings;
    Ver.3 (Rare to Masterpiece) is now a lottery where you can lose.

I feel like Ver.1 was the best. I'd rather be guaranteed 500 orbs, than to have my expectations range between 100 and 2500.
    The question is: if Ver.1 was to keep, what do we do with the Anniversary MPs, and the sad Rares?

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,616 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The rares could be a prize pack with non-duplicate.
    The anniversary MPs are an odd duck. Often players have complained on these forums that they could not get every card in the game if they had started after the anniversary cards were given, whereas the old timers expressed different arguments that I’ll summarise: “you snooze, you loose”.

I’ll argue that the event could be used occasionally, like every other year and players can get the card if the manage to win them.

• Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

I think including the rares in the BftA exclusive packs was a mistake. Getting a guaranteed mythic or masterpiece is a rush. Getting a rare, not so much. Still cool, but because it happens way more frequently than getting a mythic or masterpiece, it's much less of a rush.

@Janosik makes a persuasive argument that the inclusion of the original 2 rares was because Oktagon got lazy rather than some well-thought out decision. And even if this were to end up being wrong and Oktagon put a lot of thought into the decision to include rares, it's still a poor decision. Outside of jumpstart, 100 gold is the most to pay to play an event and because the gold rewards for BftA re far less for players in the newer tier (bronze and silver), it's a much more significant decision to pay 100 gold to play the event in the lower tiers.

WebCore (WC) should correct this poor decision by 8gon. There are several ways to do it. @Tremayne gave one reasonable idea. I think this is a good fix. Another would be to not add any more rares to the exclusive packs, and let the current rares rotate out of the exlusive reward packs when the standard sets they are from go into legacy (though this will quite a while given that sets remain standard now for about 3 years).

Whatever the method, I do think WC should make the BftA packs mythics plus or at least just mythics. If WC wants to take out the masterpieces added from the Ultimate Planeswalk Event, WC could just hold that event every so often and give out a reward pack that awards one or more of those masterpieces on a non-dupe basis every so often.