Goose/Hunter/X-23 worth 550ing?

Options
Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards

Curious people’s thoughts on this.

I know people seem to be high on X-23 but I feel she’s a pretty basic damage stick. I don’t know that she’s bringing anything super unique to the table. Hunter seems like straight trash.

But Goose is the one I’m most intrigued by. I feel she would be a pretty decent counter to the sea of Omega Red I’m seeing/facing. Basically his AOE would produce kitten tiles that reduce all damage to Goose to nothing. Let her tank and she’s spamming the board with strike tiles. Seems like a pretty good character but it’s a heavy investment for just this one character.

Wondering what other people think or are planning to do with the current set of latests.

Comments

• Domitronas
    Domitronas Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options

I don't know about Hunter, I myself am much more interested in ascending 3Hunter and seeing whether she keeps the scaling on her purple. For just 3 AP that seems to be a huge boost, that is if it doesn't get nerfed post ascension. The 5Hunter and X-23 doesn't intrigue me as much, so I would personally skip on 550ing this trio, if I was in the position.
    Perhaps not the answer you're looking for but thought I'd share anyway.

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options

I don't have a huge hoard (160 lt) but would like extra levels on X-23. I already have Goose champed, but she seems better than Victor. So I'm thinking of dropping 100 pulls now and then using the rest when it's X-23, Victor, Next 5.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

I know people seem to be high on X-23 but I feel she’s a pretty basic damage stick. I don’t know that she’s bringing anything super unique to the table. Hunter seems like straight trash.

But Goose is the one I’m most intrigued by. I feel she would be a pretty decent counter to the sea of Omega Red I’m seeing/facing. Basically his AOE would produce kitten tiles that reduce all damage to Goose to nothing. Let her tank and she’s spamming the board with strike tiles. Seems like a pretty good character but it’s a heavy investment for just this one character.

Wondering what other people think or are planning to do with the current set of latests.

Goose is very interesting. Her CD tiles are unfortunately very easily blocked, worse they're even blocked by herself since she spams out strike tiles. I like her a lot, and I've even seen her a bit in the wild in PVP -- I don't thinks he's meta per se but there are probably some very good teams that include her. I've got her at 475 and will probably level her a bit more before she's out -- just how much probably depends on how good whomever follows Victor is. I can tell you one thing for sure - I'm not pulling at all after Goose leaves until Hunter leaves...

I agree with your assessment on Hunter and X-23. Hunter is very so-so, the only thing she brings to the table is a potentially super-cheap nuke on yellow (so long as you get some "light side" points, you can bring it down to 3.) She might creep into the "use when boosted" with the right partner, but she's pretty low on that scale.

X-23 is interesting, but has a pretty narrow purpose - once you get her red out she can do a lot of damage, particularly combined with someone who makes strike tiles. Her "use when boosted" value is definitely higher than Hunter, but I agree she's actually pretty straightforward. Unboosted she doesn't touch Shang-Chi on offense.

• Carnage1484
    Carnage1484 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options

No they’re not

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you're going all in for one character out of a set of three, that one character had better be extremely strong. I don't think Goose reaches that level.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options

If you think Goose is the one out of the three that's worth pulling for, you need to reexamine your criteria.

• Daredevil217
    Options

@GrimSkald said:

@Daredevil217 said:

Goose is very interesting. Her CD tiles are unfortunately very easily blocked, worse they're even blocked by herself since she spams out strike tiles. I like her a lot, and I've even seen her a bit in the wild in PVP -- I don't thinks he's meta per se but there are probably some very good teams that include her. I've got her at 475 and will probably level her a bit more before she's out -- just how much probably depends on how good whomever follows Victor is. I can tell you one thing for sure - I'm not pulling at all after Goose leaves until Hunter leaves...

I agree with your assessment on Hunter and X-23. Hunter is very so-so, the only thing she brings to the table is a potentially super-cheap nuke on yellow (so long as you get some "light side" points, you can bring it down to 3.) She might creep into the "use when boosted" with the right partner, but she's pretty low on that scale.

X-23 is interesting, but has a pretty narrow purpose - once you get her red out she can do a lot of damage, particularly combined with someone who makes strike tiles. Her "use when boosted" value is definitely higher than Hunter, but I agree she's actually pretty straightforward. Unboosted she doesn't touch Shang-Chi on offense.

Yeah people were going pretty wild for X-23 and I’d argue it’s because we haven’t had a really strong character since omega red. So she stands out amongst the Hunter/Vulture/Miles/Gwen/Mancha/Peggy types. Probably best to stand pat. Jane is a pretty good counter to Omega anyway. Would just like other options to deal with that constant damage, that stunning doesn’t help. I really wish Victor’s lock tile was it.

I think this helped me curb my urge to pull! I’ll probably put some levels on her. Then baby champ Mancha and keep on keepin on.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Going to say hard no here. Goose is fine, but certainly not a standout.
    Hunter can be ok sometimes.
    I haven't really used X23 since I'm waiting for Goose and Hunter to leave.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

X23 is so close to being a good character. I think it’s a fun build, but she needs more claws and maybe better healing…that would put her where she would be worth going all in IMO.

She is currently my lowest 5* champ with only Victor as an outlier. I might be tempted to drop more resources into her right now if the Okoye/Apoc/BRB vault wasn’t running.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@jp1 said:
    X23 is so close to being a good character. I think it’s a fun build, but she needs more claws and maybe better healing…that would put her where she would be worth going all in IMO.

She is currently my lowest 5* champ with only Victor as an outlier. I might be tempted to drop more resources into her right now if the Okoye/Apoc/BRB vault wasn’t running.

She's a special tile character in the most anti-special tile metagame we've ever had (Goose has the same problem). If something happened to shake that up, I could see both characters getting a big bump.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 February 2024, 19:50
    Options

In simulator, I ran into a 550 MT, 541 Ascended Polaris and a 550 Goose. That team seems really good as a defensive tactic and also seems like it would be quite good offensively as well.

• killahKlown
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@killahKlown said:
    If you think Goose is the one out of the three that's worth pulling for, you need to reexamine your criteria.

I was just responding to the OP (who said he only had interest in Goose). If you think he's wrong, why not tell everyone why, instead of vagueposting about it?

A. So was I

B. Don't tell me how to post

• killahKlown
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    In simulator, I ran into a 550 MT, 541 Ascended Polaris and a 550 Goose. That team seems really good as a defensive tactic and also seems like it would be quite good offensively as well.

Doesn't Jane screw up all your wonderful kitty tiles though?

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@killahKlown said:

@LavaManLee said:

With all the AoE teams out there, she can't get all of them. And the strike tiles multiply fast, taking heat off the CDs and growing your own attacks.

I think you'd be surprised.

• ProfShoehorn
    ProfShoehorn Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options

@killahKlown said:

Not to speak for the original poster, but I think they are using the herd of cats to generate SAP tiles for Jane to explode to trigger Polaris. The kitty tiles would be irrelevant.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited 14 February 2024, 21:54
    Options

IMO, go for it. I recently has champed Goose and Hunter. Been doing some testing and 'cause I found the Cat Family a nice addition and strike spammer for my Kitty, I went all in to get more covers for her after initial pool session and champed Weapon Hex too. 200k damage from one green is nice. Kitty/Goose (the Ultimate Cat Combo) has started to be my staple against mThor/SC combo in pick2.

TLDR: I like both Weapon Hex and Goose but it's glass cannon combo and need health packs to keep them alive. Also It needs something more safe on defense. But ofense is crazy and if you go for just progression, it is nice and simple combo. Even crazier and easier than mThor/SC for me.

Hunter is meh but I have found has found some usage for me cause of her true healing for allies.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 February 2024, 21:56
    Options

@ProfShoehorn said:

@killahKlown said:

Not to speak for the original poster, but I think they are using the herd of cats to generate SAP tiles for Jane to explode to trigger Polaris. The kitty tiles would be irrelevant.

Bingo. The cat tiles didn't matter. It becomes chaotic SAP tile overload.

• Daredevil217
    Options

Yeah I was testing Kitty/Polaris in lightning rounds where 75-80% of what I queue is the Russian Wall. Even baby champed they can take out the pair at 500+ but it costs two packs a match. If I had a max-champ it’d be much better, but agree with those who say it’s not worth it.

Ultimately I do think she is unique/different which I love, but it’s a steep cost.

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options

X23/Victor/?? Is likely a better trio based on the first two alone. The odds of the character after Victor being worse than Hunter has to be small so I’d wait and see.