Support shards in 3* Victor PVP

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,171 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 9 February 2024, 01:13 in MPQ General Discussion

There are Royal Talon Fighter support shards in both progression and placement for players in SCL 7-10.

A surprise reward update! Nice. I assume/hope this is going to continue with different supports in future PVPs.

Comments

  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 540 Critical Contributor

    Haha, wow. Very nice and also setting the stage for the step towards total chaos in-game: supports in pvp. LFG! Release the Kraken, already!

  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,878 Chairperson of the Boards

    Anyone gotten any of these yet as a reward and more importantly for those of us who already have the RTF at R5, are they automatically applied to whatever support you currently have favorited?

    KGB

  • CoxLargo
    CoxLargo Posts: 53 Match Maker

    This is good

  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,473 Chairperson of the Boards

    I can't wait to see supports finally implemented in pvp. Granted, I still think these supports are broken in terms of pvp play, but I can see a roadmap being laid out for actual implementation.

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,679 Chairperson of the Boards

    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,875 Chairperson of the Boards

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    They've also said they'd rebalance problematic characters during ascension.
    Don't hold your breath.

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,679 Chairperson of the Boards

    @Bowgentle said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    They've also said they'd rebalance problematic characters during ascension.
    Don't hold your breath.

    There's all kinds of guys with tweaked abilities when they get ascended. I assumed they meant all the little AP cost and ability effect changes. What were you thinking they'd do? Were you expecting, like, nerfs to 5* Polaris or Juggernaut?

  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,875 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 9 February 2024, 20:26

    I certainly wasn't expecting 95% of the guys staying the same, and Magic Coulson.
    And I didn't expect 550 3s completely destroying their 5* versions.

  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,171 Chairperson of the Boards

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    It's possible that the newer supports are being designed with an eye towards PVP implementation.

    The older ones, that just straight up give you a chunk of AP a decent % of the time, or extra AP on half your matches - those would be hard to balance and make still seem valuable when some of their effects are so tied to AP generation etc.

    However, putting in the newer ones with more nuanced effects might be easier to allow and not break PVP play.

    As we know well, many times plans change and prior statements are proven to be no longer valid. Possibly they allow only certain supports into PVP, and not others, as a workaround to doing a lot of work on changing supports just to make them not break PVP.

    It would also create incentive to level up newer supports. The goal is always to create new goals for players to chase and spend on, after all.

  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    edited 9 February 2024, 20:44

    @bluewolf said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    It's possible that the newer supports are being designed with an eye towards PVP implementation.

    The older ones, that just straight up give you a chunk of AP a decent % of the time, or extra AP on half your matches - those would be hard to balance and make still seem valuable when some of their effects are so tied to AP generation etc.

    However, putting in the newer ones with more nuanced effects might be easier to allow and not break PVP play.

    As we know well, many times plans change and prior statements are proven to be no longer valid. Possibly they allow only certain supports into PVP, and not others, as a workaround to doing a lot of work on changing supports just to make them not break PVP.

    It would also create incentive to level up newer supports. The goal is always to create new goals for players to chase and spend on, after all.

    I think the easiest solution to supports that give ap would be to just update them to say they still have that same effect in pve modes, but then add that in pvp they do X, Y or Z instead.

  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,875 Chairperson of the Boards

    @BriMan2222 said:

    @bluewolf said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    It's possible that the newer supports are being designed with an eye towards PVP implementation.

    The older ones, that just straight up give you a chunk of AP a decent % of the time, or extra AP on half your matches - those would be hard to balance and make still seem valuable when some of their effects are so tied to AP generation etc.

    However, putting in the newer ones with more nuanced effects might be easier to allow and not break PVP play.

    As we know well, many times plans change and prior statements are proven to be no longer valid. Possibly they allow only certain supports into PVP, and not others, as a workaround to doing a lot of work on changing supports just to make them not break PVP.

    It would also create incentive to level up newer supports. The goal is always to create new goals for players to chase and spend on, after all.

    I think the easiest solution to supports that give ap would be to just update them to say they still have that same effect in pve modes, but then add that in pvp they do X, Y or Z instead.

    IF they can code that, yes.

  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,171 Chairperson of the Boards

    @BriMan2222 said:

    @bluewolf said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    They've said several times that the existing supports will be rebalanced before they can be used in PvP.

    It's possible that the newer supports are being designed with an eye towards PVP implementation.

    The older ones, that just straight up give you a chunk of AP a decent % of the time, or extra AP on half your matches - those would be hard to balance and make still seem valuable when some of their effects are so tied to AP generation etc.

    However, putting in the newer ones with more nuanced effects might be easier to allow and not break PVP play.

    As we know well, many times plans change and prior statements are proven to be no longer valid. Possibly they allow only certain supports into PVP, and not others, as a workaround to doing a lot of work on changing supports just to make them not break PVP.

    It would also create incentive to level up newer supports. The goal is always to create new goals for players to chase and spend on, after all.

    I think the easiest solution to supports that give ap would be to just update them to say they still have that same effect in pve modes, but then add that in pvp they do X, Y or Z instead.

    Supports in pvp should very much be seen as a test to see how players react.

    If I were them I would start with a limited number of them being available before spending lots of development time with all the testing involved to make the most egregious supports act different ways in different modes.

  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,878 Chairperson of the Boards

    Did we get any official answer on what happens if we already have the RTF at R5?

    I earned 150 shards from this PvP and none of them appeared on my currently favorited support (Power Stone) nor can is there anyway to see any excess on my R5 RTF.

    KGB

  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,099 Chairperson of the Boards

    @KGB said:
    Did we get any official answer on what happens if we already have the RTF at R5?

    I earned 150 shards from this PvP and none of them appeared on my currently favorited support (Power Stone) nor can is there anyway to see any excess on my R5 RTF.

    KGB

    Was wondering that myself, since I went for RTF immediately for the bonus support shards.

  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,171 Chairperson of the Boards

    @sambrookjm said:

    @KGB said:
    Did we get any official answer on what happens if we already have the RTF at R5?

    I earned 150 shards from this PvP and none of them appeared on my currently favorited support (Power Stone) nor can is there anyway to see any excess on my R5 RTF.

    KGB

    Was wondering that myself, since I went for RTF immediately for the bonus support shards.

    I would contact CS as the policy has been that they would be converted to wildcard shards at a rate of 2:1 for maxed supports.

    This process is automated as of the R296 update which should be available now for people (it is definitely up on iOS).