Options

Why isn't luke cage street level?

Happy black friday month
x

Comments

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options

Huh... Jessica Jones, Kingpin, Daredevil, Elektra, Iron Fist, Punisher, Hellcat, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, and Bullseye are all "Street Level"... maybe their ex changed the Netflix password a while back and they missed all the Luke Cage episodes?

One of the posters for his show literally included the street signs for the streets on which he could be found at street level!:

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

I don't know that others on the list wouldn't also qualify, but it could be argued he moved on from a street level focus to broader purpose when he tagged in for Thunderbolts.

He was an Avenger before that, but still would have had his chosen block to watch over.

Once he began babysitting the better suicide squad... That's a full time job.

It might just be me, but I think MPQ Luke looks less like his Netflix actor than the other Defenders of that era and is based on the comics, not the show.

Even his in game text describes comics Luke and not Netflix Luke.

Anyway, to answer your question, this particular version of mister Cage isn't street level because he's focused on other threats.

Just a guess though.

• HowDoIUnlockBatman
    HowDoIUnlockBatman Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options

Fine speech

3*: Luke is thunderbolt Luke.
    4* Luke is power man. If he's not street level then who is?

Your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman?

No, he's not street level either. Not 1*, not classic, not Peter Parker, not miles

Despite most of his rogues gallery being street level. Must make it awkward to fight them. Wait, wait, wait. Before we fight. Is this a street, a road or something else? An avenue maybe?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 1 February 2024, 14:11
    Options

It would be interesting to get more feedback/information around their choices for some affiliations, sometimes.

5Miles gets a boatload of them: Villains, Avengers, Spider-Verse, Team Cap, Multiversal, Enhanced, Battleworld, Symbiotes. Most seem fine but "affiliation" suggests your state of mind/belonging and I can't make Villain co-exist with Avengers and Team Cap. Even though the character is stated to have overcome the Carnage symbiote, it also says the one you are using is from time timeframe when he was Absolute Carnage.

So it's basically saying "we applied affiliations that were generally applicable to the character but outside the timeframe of this particular incarnation you are building and using".

In which case Cage should still basically be Street level. From what I can tell in the comics, he's basically now the Mayor of NYC and not very Avenger-y. And the vast majority of his publication history has been firmly Street Level.

5Hawkeye apparently isn't Street Level, but I would argue he basically has mostly been an Avenger first and foremost and other than Ronin and the incredibly awesome Matt Fraction run, if you have Hawkeye in a comic he's doing Avenger-y things most of the time and not say fighting bank robbers. But the game applies "Street Level" to all incarnations of Hawkeye except the 5.

eh. Logic, what is it? This is comics.

Also that Black Friday typo will never die, apparently.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@bluewolf said:
    5Hawkeye apparently isn't Street Level, but I would argue he basically has mostly been an Avenger first and foremost and other than Ronin and the incredibly awesome Matt Fraction run, if you have Hawkeye in a comic he's doing Avenger-y things most of the time and not say fighting bank robbers. But the game applies "Street Level" to all incarnations of Hawkeye except the 5.

Ironically the 5* Hawkeye (at least with the cover they chose) was more street level than not... he was literally on the road fighting social injustices (so basically 80s Green Arrow).

• Blackstone
    edited 2 February 2024, 00:15
    Options

@bluewolf said:
    It would be interesting to get more feedback/information around their choices for some affiliations, sometimes.

5Miles gets a boatload of them: Villains, Avengers, Spider-Verse, Team Cap, Multiversal, Enhanced, Battleworld, Symbiotes. Most seem fine but "affiliation" suggests your state of mind/belonging and I can't make Villain co-exist with Avengers and Team Cap. Even though the character is stated to have overcome the Carnage symbiote, it also says the one you are using is from time timeframe when he was Absolute Carnage.

So it's basically saying "we applied affiliations that were generally applicable to the character but outside the timeframe of this particular incarnation you are building and using".

In which case Cage should still basically be Street level. From what I can tell in the comics, he's basically now the Mayor of NYC and not very Avenger-y. And the vast majority of his publication history has been firmly Street Level.

I never noticed 5* Hawkeye didn't have the street level affiliation. I just assumed he would.

And he was released with HawkGuy.

If either character were recent additions I'd wonder if it had to do with certain interactions... But I'm pretty sure affiliations were little more than flavor when they were released. (Except for a few nodes with requirements)

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think the simplest explanation is that Affiliations have been poorly rolled out & managed in the past. They've actually gotten a lot better recently - someone must've done an audit.

I haven't exactly kept track, but I know there were some obvious ones missing... I want to say maybe Asgardians, Symbiotes, and Spider-Verse? To say nothing of the more subjective ones: Enhanced, Geniuses, Godlike, Supernatural...

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,967 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@meadowsweet said:
    I think the simplest explanation is that Affiliations have been poorly rolled out & managed in the past. They've actually gotten a lot better recently - someone must've done an audit.

I haven't exactly kept track, but I know there were some obvious ones missing... I want to say maybe Asgardians, Symbiotes, and Spider-Verse? To say nothing of the more subjective ones: Enhanced, Geniuses, Godlike, Supernatural...

This. Affiliations never did very much, so nobody really kept track of them. They still kind of don't do very much.

• Blackstone
    Options

@meadowsweet said:

I mean... Yeah.
    But that's not as much fun, and kind of depressing.

• Blackstone
    Options

@HowDoIUnlockBatman said:
    Fine speech

3*: Luke is thunderbolt Luke.
    4* Luke is power man. If he's not street level then who is?

Your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman?

No, he's not street level either. Not 1*, not classic, not Peter Parker, not miles

Despite most of his rogues gallery being street level. Must make it awkward to fight them. Wait, wait, wait. Before we fight. Is this a street, a road or something else? An avenue maybe?

Cul-de-sac.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 2 February 2024, 10:20
    Options

Unless they have changed it we even have (or possibly had) a situation where the comic book versions of the founding members of The Defenders (Hulk, Namor and then Silver Surfer) are not considered to be Defenders apart from Dr. Strange! That's like saying Thor, Iron Man and Hulk are not Avengers!

I think 5* Hawkeye is meant to be the MCU one? In which case at that time he was more secret agent guy and then full on Avenger than defender of the streets guy, so maybe that makes some sense.

Luke makes no sense whatsoever, especially 4* Luke.

Spider-Man is a difficult one - he obviously is your "Friendly Neighbourhood" Spider-Man but he has also single handed taken on The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk and cosmic threats such as Firelord and Thanos - he tends to straddle the categories, although his regular rogues gallery tends to lean to more local threat than global mastermind.