Would you rather ascend 4Rogue or Spiderman 2099 ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
edited December 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Which 4* would you rather ascend and why, 4Rogue or Spiderman 2099 ?

Both have offers going that nets you 7K shards. I don't have a dupe for either character. Rogue can be pretty annoying when boosted or in PVP if I remember correctly. I don't remember how effective she is for PVE or how good she'd be ascended anyway.

Spiderman 2099 is also one of the better 4s and his countdowns are pretty potent, especially with a booster. Not sure if he'll translate into a legit 5 when ascended though if he happens to scale some odd way.

I was curious to hear from some of yall, which of the two you'd prefer to ascend. One or the other, both, or neither. Also I don't remember the specific character(s), but when ascending went live I remember reading some comments on certain characters scaling oddly or others simply being better than others ascended. I'm a little confused and on the fence who I want to bother ascending now.

I know Rogue and Spiderman 2099 can't be ascended yet, but the current offers are pretty nice for one who will ascend when their batch comes around. I have all the 5s rostered and metas. Not sure how much I'd even use Rogue or SM2099, but being two of the better 4*s, I was intrigued about their potential as 5s.

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,210 Chairperson of the Boards

I have rogue ascended, I haven't used her yet but I've heard she's really good and will be great when boosted.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

Rogue ascends great, she is definitely one of the great classic 4s. Be careful that if someone is using a Chasm, it seems to shut off the AP gain from her green for whatever reason, but in any other context she is really strong.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor

Rogue is absolutely one of the rare classics that has aged very well. She fills a very narrow, yet highly important role as a defensive juggernaut.

Spiderman 2099 is great, don’t get me wrong. His pairing with Okoye or web tile optimizers cannot be overlooked, but the pairings can be with or without SP2099 will similar outcomes.

Rogue, however, will turn many good teams into GREAT teams. Enjoy

• ThaRoadWarrior

Rogue’s green does around 60k damage ascended. So she is also one of the even more rare defensive characters who has real teeth.

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 173 Tile Toppler

Rogue should easily be the best choice on her boost week and her green ability is waiting to be exploited, but she’s otherwise just okay for me. Her kit is way too expensive to be the primary source of damage. Rogue isn’t a bad investment, but she’s strictly a support character for me.

We’ll know with Batch 4, but I suspect that the ceiling in terms of damage output and team synergies will be higher with Spider-Man 2099. If I could only choose one, I’d invest in the long game and level-up Spidey.

• Glockoma
    edited December 2023

Her jump in front mechanic is invaluable. It will harvest defensive wins and slow the matches. This point is paramount compared to 2099. But really it’s all about perspective. PvE vs PvP, roster needs, and your damage multiplier (the most exploitable part about 2099). I can definitely see 2099 being better for those partial to PvE.

Another boon to Rogue is that most folks I see running around in PvP are Jane-Chi’s, both of whom share red as their strongest color. Rogue will take this away quickly while gathering the red for her AP gain punch.

Just something that makes her more interesting. But seriously, her jump-in-front mechanic is clutch.

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2023

All great points on Rogue and are exactly the reasons why I would prioritize Spidey 2099. Shutting down Rogue’s jump in front or other annoying mechanics with Miguel’s stun would be my preferred route. Miguel’s 75% damage enhancer, especially paired with a booster, should make short work of Rogue. Plus (and I could be wrong), I think there’s a potential web tile meta out there with possible big web damage dealers in Gwenom, Chaiderman or Miles with 2099 being one of the lynchpins of the team. There’s also the guaranteed web tile destruction/heal loop with Silk to look forward to.

Or go with Rogue who does 60k damage at the cost of self-immolation for 19AP.

Side Note: The devs even switched the next PVE to the one featuring 2099. It’s a sign!

• Glockoma

Not to divert too much, I can’t help but agree on an underlying web tile meta brewing. I feel this is why those characters are slated to be batched last. Maybe Chasm could rear his ugly head again!

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 555 Critical Contributor

I wonder how ascended Rogue is for pick 2/PVP. With her jump in front mechanic, at the very least could make a good scarecrow for defense. I'll defer to anyone who already ascended her for how effective she's been. The way her jump in front works she doesn't have to be leveled higher that your teammates or have higher match damage which is great. Her damage reduction is top tier also.

I think I'd get more use out of ascended Rogue. But Spidey 2099 certainly seems he could be really fun ascended with a booster. Just not sure if I'd value him more than rogue who should be one of the most annoying 4s to ascend and have to deal with, especially when boosted.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023

For pvp rogue is the obvious choice. Her passives make her very valuable on defense and her actives are both viable. And she has maybe the best jump- in- front power left in the game right now.

SM2099 is a great pve character, and doesn't suck in pvp, but he doesn't do anything that can't be replicated by other characters now in the 5* tier (e.g., polaris for cheap stuns and free damage procs).

So I would say both are valuable but rogue should be the priority.

• ThaRoadWarrior

There's an autopilot way to play both of these characters, but you can also actively play rogue as a super effective battery depending on what the opponent's top color is that you steal with her green. gaining double-AP to feed somebody else works really well, and if you slip up, she does 60k damage for a cost of ~19k self harm. Mine at this level has 90,202 health for context on what that means to you.