The "supposed to lose" Galactus event

Scofie
Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Now that roster strength has gone up and there are 5*s, supports, Champs and Ascended characters, anyone want it back for a spin?

I can barely remember the last one (and I can't remember Boss Rush at all) but to those that do - how might current rosters do against Galactus of old?

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

I have a mixed strength Alliance and we are only just back on track last two events with finishing so I would rather not have any change to main event. But Heroic? Seems the ideal place to try this stuff out?

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 313 Mover and Shaker

This was way too easy. I prefer Quandary over this mindless 3-hit effort (yes, I truly do).

• DAZ0273

Ha, well seems Galactus that You are the one meant to lose! Also I told Frankie/Nova that you have a crush on her but she said "Ew! That guy has no table manners" so at best it is a 50/50? Firelord and I are going to " Herald Hot Spot" Friday though so we we will wingman you dude!

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards

A happy medium would be fine, but are we talking for the Heroic version as well? Seems to me that would only favor the strongest alliances and further discourage the lesser ones to even try.

• Scofie

Yes, as the Heroic version would work better.

I'm with @Zarqa - I didn't even see any of those blob tiles in this run. I like easy rewards, but it was pretty much autoplay to defeat him. Side nodes took way longer than beating the boss himself and most characters being fought had more health than Galactus on Round 8.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards

I would be against bringing it back in the heroic version.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

There's absolutely nothing they can do with the current events that would not be beatable by at least 10 different cheese teams.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah, so the "supposed to lose" version was basically the way he is now, stats etc, but with roughly a 3-turn clock if you didn't manage to blow up most of his CD tiles/whatever the other things he makes are called.

Can you beat this guy in 3 turns, if you optimize a team for it? If so you wouldn't ever lose in v1 Galactus.

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards

Not sure if we want that version back (i don't remember him very well tbh) but... power creep has rendered boss events way too easy in my opinion. I understand not everyone has a strong 4*/5* roster and there has to be some consideration to the players with less developed rosters, but i'd like to get some of that 'boss'-feel back.

• Scofie

@entrailbucket said:
    Yeah, so the "supposed to lose" version was basically the way he is now, stats etc, but with roughly a 3-turn clock if you didn't manage to blow up most of his CD tiles/whatever the other things he makes are called.

Can you beat this guy in 3 turns, if you optimize a team for it? If so you wouldn't ever lose in v1 Galactus.

Yeah that doesn't help. I didn't take longer than a third turn kill in any run.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards

The biggest issue with "Supposed to Lose" and Boss Rush was that it was pre-5* and pre Karnak/Colossus match damages. As EB said, with the current rosters both would not be nearly so hard now (for 4* and 5* players at least).

v1 Galactus was for many "boost as much blue as possible, use 2*Black Widow to delay his countdowns, and hope you got enough damage in before you died"

In the Boss Rush run, my main team was 3* Kamala, 3* Hulk, and 3* Storm. Hulk out in front, generate green, Storm to gather AP, Kamala/Hulk more green etc.

The health pools were large, it was super slow and squishy, and probably one of the most reliable teams at the time (and I wiped a bit with it). Boss Jean generated so much red so quick and then devastated the 3* and 2* teams.

• Bowgentle

The main problem with Boss Rush was that the AP carried over.
    If they had drained enemy AP each round, it would have been doable.

• DAZ0273

I would like to try Boss Rush again. I did ask about it a couple of months back in the Q&A but there was no answer, so I have to assume it isn't on the radar (or it is and is top secret!)

I suppose the Devs are in a bit of no win territory here too. They gave us Kang and High Evolutionary and we complained because it was too vanilla and then they gave us Quandary and we complained because it was too spicy! We are the Goldilocks looking for baby bears porridge.

• Bowgentle

I think Quandary was a showcase for "look what we can DO!"
    They seem to have a tendency to do Overcomplicated stuff that we didn't ask for.
    They could easily iterate on Civil War, make the point requirements higher and boom, tough choices on how to play it.
    Just doubling down on bosses with a heroic version just gives top alliances more rewards without adding anything meaningful.

• DAZ0273

Yeah, the Heroics dishing out more and more to the "rich" without being significantly more "Heroic" to beat isn't really a great look.

• Scofie

I saw a big increase in the number of Alliances playing Heroic this time out. We placed 333 this time, where previous occasions were about 170ish with a similar, if not higher, number of points.

I guess there is an interesting problem here about win conditions - make it "win within 3 turns" and it is still too easy for good rosters and impossible for newer players. Make the enemies stronger and winfinite/ cheese teams just take longer without being more of a challenge. Apocalypse was good because of puzzles, but could be got around with brute strength. Too many puzzles that can't be got around or are same-y are bad. I guess success factors are limited, but is there anything else that could be done to make the Boss scary, but accessible to all players?

Puzzle side nodes would be interesting for me too (like Puzzle Gauntlet style).

• DAZ0273

One of the problems with Boss Events is that usually the side missions end up harder than the Boss but the top Alliances don't face that issue because they are able to finish before there is too much in the way of scaling. Literally most of the best rosters in the game don't ever fight the hardest battles in a Boss Event!

If you are going to have a Heroic event then maybe it shouldn't be open to all and the end scaling for the side missions should be the starting point for them. That means some Alliances might miss out but it isn't like they can compete anyway - might as well make the big boys earn their stuff!

• Bowgentle

I'm doing every hit on ever refresh, side nodes are trivial even at full scaling for big rosters.
    How do you define "big roster"? A 520 Wasp and the rest at 450?

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker

I’ve got the strongest roster in my alliance with all 5’s champed, with the highest at 480. The rest of my alliance are all 5 star players. We’re a casual alliance with no PvP or PvE requirements other than boss events. We’ve never struggled with a boss event, even when we were transitioning from 4 to 5 stars.

The side nodes have always been the hardest part of the boss events because they scale with your roster, whereas the boss battle does not. The only difference in the Heroic mode is the constraint on which characters can be used. We don’t play the heroic as hard, but we’ve always finished top 200, which is good enough for some nice support tokens.

Honestly, I’m not sure what people think is broken here, or what needs to be fixed. Not every roster should be able to finish the same event. You’d just about have to do SCL levels on boss events (with corresponding different rewards) to facilitate that.