MPQ Developer Q&A November 2023 (ANSWERS)

Options
2»

Comments

• MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options

My questions are always skipped. I know sometimes it's not a question they can answer, and I'm sure some questions may have already been answered and I just missed it. And also, I know they can't answer everyone's questions every time.

But this is just getting to be a lesson in futility. I haven't learned a single thing from most of these Q&A sessions, and I'm not feeling heard. Again, I'm aware of the circumstances, but I agreed with a previous poster that said this has run its course. They can't really give away any useful info, and the answers are generic and vague. Oh well, it's a good idea on paper, but execution or real life circumstances make it worthless

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

It has really turned more into a “developer suggestion box” thread

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Everyone get a cardboard box and write the following on bits of paper
    Not on the cards at the moment
    Great idea!
    We'll look onto it
    Some time next year
    Thats down to marvel
    Game engine won't allow it
    No
    Not currently being discussed

And then ask your question out loud and choose a piece of scrunched up paper

Glad to be of assistance

Your friendly neighbourhood idiot

I can appreciate a straight no at the very least. It's not the answer one may want, but it is direct and not at all evasive.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

We have to remember there are outside factors that go on with this also. There will be non disclosure agreements with Marvel ahead of time that impact on things like new features (especially if it is new Story/PvE content). There will be other things that haven't passed quality control and are not ready to disclose - look how long they took trying to get Chasm right with his rebalance (and I think they mostly succeeded). I don't pretend to understand all of the decisions made or the communication around it but I do think we are getting as much as we can out of these things.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Great idea!
    We'll look onto it
    Some time next year
    Thats down to marvel
    No

Glad to be of assistance

You forgot "Never say never"

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 656 Critical Contributor
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

Great idea!
    We'll look onto it
    Some time next year
    Thats down to marvel
    No

Glad to be of assistance

You forgot "Never say never"

What an absolute fool, sorry yes please include never say never to the list

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DrClever said:
    @bluewolf said:

Even if you're just chasing wins it won't be fun if yours doesn't trigger and the AI's does and you're eating powers.
    If they did offense only I guess it would make winning easier so you could get PVP over with faster with wins.

I just fundamentally disagree that games become more fun in proportion to how reliably and quickly the player wins.

The fastest way to "get PVP over with" is not to play it, but I really don't think that view of what's desirable places MPQ at the right end of the chore<->fun spectrum.

Games have a mix of player skill and chance - chess is all skill & zero chance, poker has high levels of both, and snakes & ladders is purely random.

We'll each have our preference from amongst these but all are games people play for fun and a large part of the fun arises from the possibility of losing.

Making MPQ a game where neither skill nor chance ever prevents or even delays victory is tantamount to removing it from the category of fun activities altogether and lining it up alongside something like peeling potatoes where the heartfelt desire of anyone who has had much involvement with it is for someone to make a machine to do it for them.

(With due apologies to those fans of food prep who would rightly point out that peeling spuds involves more skill and allows for a degree of meditative contemplation.)

Be careful! Someone will write a 5000-word essay about how you're playing the game wrong (by playing the game part of the game), trying to take away everyone's fun (the fun they're having by avoiding playing the game part of the game), and asking the game to be something it's not (a match-3 game).

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

I think they do a pretty good job letting us know if something we ask for or suggest is a possibility or not. They can't break it down in these threads to the exact date to mark on a calendar, but at least let us know what we can or can't get our hopes up for. They could however do a better job responding to all of the questions asked.