Would you want an endless battle section in the game?

jeungard
jeungard Posts: 3 Just Dropped In

You would choose your team of 3 and start against 3 random level 1 opponents. Then after beating all 3 opponents they would randomly change and level up.

Would you want an endless battle section in the game? 44 votes

Yes
47%
Seasick PiratedivouneaxmossChipster22GlockomaCodexZalastabonny79HeartbreaksoupScofieHelinutzPantera236TimemachinegodrcheeseGymp28amberdrake2002jeungardTpsimoesCASSIDYFROSTJinx 21 votes
No
40%
TheVultureentrailbucketPunter1PhumadeMoosePrimevinnygeckoJHawkIncbluewolfprimetime21pezseDAZ0273skittledaddyMegaBeedianeticsCoxLargoHollisbigjojo04kuntilanak 18 votes
Maybe
11%
BorstockHistamielPtahhotepEienRyuuDrClever 5 votes

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    No

I don't see such a game mode working for MPQ.

The reality is that an "endless" mode is going to be bested by winfinite combos. So if an Endless mode has rewards, it'll be broken immediately. And if it doesn't, there won't be much of a point in playing it (and if you're looking for something repeatable to let people just pass the time, you'd be better off with a repeatable node or something as simple as "more lightning rounds")

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    No

@JHawkInc said:
    I don't see such a game mode working for MPQ.

The reality is that an "endless" mode is going to be bested by winfinite combos. So if an Endless mode has rewards, it'll be broken immediately. And if it doesn't, there won't be much of a point in playing it (and if you're looking for something repeatable to let people just pass the time, you'd be better off with a repeatable node or something as simple as "more lightning rounds")

I agree with a lot of this.

It's possible that if they keep scaling it literally forever, then it'll get fun, once it passes the point of total ridiculousness. I remember when the forum tried to get High Evolutionary's health as high as possible, that ended up being pretty cool.

• kuntilanak
    kuntilanak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    No

I believe what some forumers wanted was customizable opponent in sandbox setting to test out team combos. This endless random stuff is rather besides that point... this pointless :D

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes

It's a fairly even tie at the moment.

I think it would be good for new players to get a sense of achievement by beating the next one as their roster grows. Could also be used as gating for SCL levels (not sure why you would, but just a thought).

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    No

A quick dropin and play mode would be wonderful. But we already have this on Tues-Thurs (called LR). As opposed to spending engineering time to develop the new game mode and the endless wave. Just allow the LRs to run throughout the week.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe

I would rather have a repeatable node with no rewards that lets you pick the opposing team.

• Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2023
    Yes

I voted yes on the basis that it would be a testing ground for pick 3 teams.
    I agree with others that repeated scaling battles would not be especially well suited to MPQ for the reasons already stated.
    So for what the OP has proposed I’d have to say ‘no’

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    No

@Scofie said:
    It's a fairly even tie at the moment.

I think it would be good for new players to get a sense of achievement by beating the next one as their roster grows. Could also be used as gating for SCL levels (not sure why you would, but just a thought).

See, for that, I think they should add every existing PVE event into the Story section, with gradually scaling levels, so players have a place they can experience every story at least once, no matter how often those events are featured, and you can judge relative roster strength by how far someone can get through Story mode (so it's less of a tutorial that you ignore once it's complete, and an ongoing thing, as later events should be scaled to SCL10 or higher).

• axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Yes

If using team ups counts for the milestone, I'm definitely for this.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,586 Chairperson of the Boards
    No

I don't even understand how this got past the second post.
    There are a ton of winfinite teams and they would make the mode useless.
    I want to play less than 1 hour per day not more.
    An endless mode would do what for me exactly? It is not a competitive PvE or PvP mode and if it was how would you score it?
    Unless the entire game changes forget this dogshit idea.

• Scofie
    Yes

@dianetics said:
    I don't even understand how this got past the second post.
    There are a ton of winfinite teams and they would make the mode useless.
    I want to play less than 1 hour per day not more.
    An endless mode would do what for me exactly? It is not a competitive PvE or PvP mode and if it was how would you score it?
    Unless the entire game changes forget this dogshit idea.

Is the argument that any changes that don't do anything for you are terrible? That how much you want to play is more important than anything else? Or that the game should entirely revive around your roster or how you play the game?

If the answer to any of those questions is "no" then the idea isn't "dogshit", you just don't like it. Big difference.

• dianetics
    No

No it isn’t that. But the idea is still dogshit.
    Infinites have been around for a long time.

If you have followed my posts for any amount of time you would know I defer to new players. I want new players to stick around and I want them to push up through the tiers so we have a healthy endgame. I ask the devs about the early game often.
    This is what I have always advocated.
    My argument is an endless game brings nothing for the player base now.
    It does not help new players and it is a mode for high tier rosters. New players are worried about finishing PvE events and competing in empty PvP.
    An endless mode does nothing for anyone. If you think it is a great idea tell me why we should do this.

• Scofie
    Yes

Well I'd say it's for any roster. Learning what 300+ characters do is pretty daunting. How many characters appear in PvP or PvE as enemies? Learning about them and getting to play with them is important. You find your own play style, what you find fun, what's quick, what's not. And you can do it in-game with this method rather than having to look on the Internet to know what team you "should" be chasing. It would promote fun and learning rather than being told what is best. Having fun is what makes players stick around, not the opportunity of getting to CL10 in 2 years.

There are early choices about whether to roster one character or another and making those choices without knowing either character sucks, especially if you don't see the cover again for a year.

So any mode that doesn't detract from PvE or PvP and allows people to experiment without penalty might be good for some rosters. It might not. But people don't have to play it because there are no rewards.

And whether you ever agree or not, given that more than 50% of respondents have said they'd want it, calling it "dogshit" is dismissive and shows a lack of respect to the OP, which is my issue with your post. The points you raise as to why it might not work are valid, whether I agree with them or not.

• dianetics
    edited December 2023
    No

Bro i Love your input.

Generally speaking, the community for the games they play don't know what they want. They have no clue. I will put myself in the same group. Look at almost any MMOPvP game and the communities almost never agree on what should happen.

I will say I am the dumbest guy in the room 100%. Even so I know an endless mode for this game is dogshit. It serves no overall purpose to the game in general, and the only people that benefit from it are the top 1%.

It really does not matter what you want, or what I want. I am pretty sure we would all like to have LL tokens for every win, or no ISO required to level our characters.

That does not make it good for the game.

Am I being dismissive? Yes. It is a dogshit idea that would only benefit the top tier players. New players could get lost in it thinking that it is a way that advance their roster.

The early game needs rails...not more options.
    I don't know if you have done a fresh account in the last 3 years or so...but that part of the game needs a ton of love and direction.

We need them dev's to provide a path for new players to get to the endgame more quickly. So there is a healthy endgame where we all play at now.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe

I wouldn't mind a second simulator, with no rewards, where you can pick the AI team or potentially even make the AI side just a target where it doesn't fight back. I want a mode where you can try new synergies without sacrificing healthpacks or accumulating PvP losses.

• dianetics
    No

@Borstock said:
    I wouldn't mind a second simulator, with no rewards, where you can pick the AI team or potentially even make the AI side just a target where it doesn't fight back. I want a mode where you can try new synergies without sacrificing healthpacks or accumulating PvP losses.

I have asked for a training dummy regularly. The endless mode proposed is not that at all.
    I am very much interested in a dummy mode like that to try out those things, but not an endless mode where the enemies continue to level and get stronger.

• Scofie
    Yes

@dianetics said:

@Borstock said:

I have asked for a training dummy regularly. The endless mode proposed is not that at all.
    I am very much interested in a dummy mode like that to try out those things, but not an endless mode where the enemies continue to level and get stronger.

Couldn't it, though? I mean, how would you pick the starting level of characters in the dummy mode? Type your own number or pick a bracket? Would a scaling up system not allow different tests at different times?

If it had no rewards, I'm not sure many of the T1% would have the patience to work through it unless there was a purpose.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe

@Scofie said:

@dianetics said:

@Borstock said:

Couldn't it, though? I mean, how would you pick the starting level of characters in the dummy mode? Type your own number or pick a bracket? Would a scaling up system not allow different tests at different times?

If it had no rewards, I'm not sure many of the T1% would have the patience to work through it unless there was a purpose.

Heaven forbid they release anything that doesn't help the T1%

• Phumade
    No

Lol, Did this thread morph into a rewards discussion? The big 1% rosters could care less. Regular PVP is already an endless mode until they decide to shield and play for points.

Lets be perfectly clear, they barely have the engineering talent/headcount to even complete existing maintenance tasks. So I don't believe they can maintain their devlopment pace with current staffing let alone develop a new mode that isn't more than a superficial re-skinning of existing LRs.

In any case, While I think it would be pointless to introduce a new endless mode because it offers no new player experiences. I certainly give my approval to shift engineering dev time to a new replacement for LRs.

• Phumade
    No

I view this discussion in the same vain as a couch pass and play live mode. Nobody objects to that functionality (i.e. no one opposes a customizable endless mode). But you have to put "endless mode" into a real world context and judge its worth in that light.

Personally, I'd like to see them devote more man hours to detailed project management/documentation and communicated public milestones that are actually met vs committing to vague new game modes.