Can we limit coalition events to weekends?

Options
Scydrex7
Scydrex7 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
edited November 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

This past weekend, we played a legacy version of A Timeless Voyage which was extended an extra day. While the rationale for featuring a legacy version of such an imbalanced event is curious enough, the reasons for extending it to feature six extra games is even more baffling to many.

Some players may love the challenge of the added chances of losing to bad RNG while others may not. That is not the subject I'd like to discuss in this post.

What I would like to address is the need to preserve the quality of life improvements this game has introduced in recent times. With the announcement of the upcoming Harvesttide event, the schedule indicates that it will once again be extended to end a day later, which means players once again have to play during work hours on a Monday or have to play at very inconvenient times (perhaps at times where they would normally be asleep).

To alleviate this sort of problem, we have seen some events feature an updated charge scheme, where players get a portion of the charges at event start and the rest of them the next day (Saturday night for those living in my time zone), giving players a very generous amount of time to finish the event.

I believe Harvesttide follows this sort of charge scheme, so extending its duration or even adding a few more charges would not have an impact felt as strongly as it did for ATV. However, if the charge scheme has been changed back, then many players will have a second consecutive inconvenient weekend (and start of the workweek).

Could you clarify what the intent is for this event and all coalition events going forward? We request that events that run into Monday are a very rare exception, not become the norm. Seeing them every two or three months could be OK, but having them with any higher frequency may be a deal breaker for some devoted players, who would probably request a leave from their current coalition if they feel they cannot contribute as much as they would like under other circumstances.

Hopefully other members share their thoughts. Let's discuss the plans for coalition events going forward, as I feel this can have a significant impact on the player population and the future of this game.

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Maybe they think that it gives more people time and chances to hit progression? Don't know if that's a major issue or not.

The decision to extend events is one that is universally unliked. 2 days per event is the perfect middle ground

• AceAnnihil8r
    AceAnnihil8r Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options

In the past, the only events that continued on til Monday were legacy PVE events, often scheduled to take advantage of long weekends as well. Aside from being a hated event, running ATV until Monday was cruel and unusual punishment. Please consider the idea of a coalition panel to ensure future events are run more fairly.

• HellsBells
    HellsBells Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options

Can only add my voice to this. Even if people are able to play on a Monday, that doesn't mean that they want to. After a weekend of a serious coalition play (at least its serious for many of us), we want to have a break from stress-free game play on a Monday. ATV is the worst example, but any co event ending on a Monday is NOT fun. And that's assuming we are able to, being a work day for many.
    Personally, i hate events like AM, with Mondays (and even Tuesdays sometimes) being a big reason why. Making every event like this would likely push me away from the game, and i don't think i'm alone.

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options

I never liked events that run into Monday. but now that i DONT play coalition events its even better lol.

• Killroy
    Killroy Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options

Some well spoken words by some fellow MTGPQ players above. My take, is that Coalition Events, already run during most people's free time, on the weekends, where we try to give our family, friends, and loved ones what little free time we already have left, from the work week. It alleviates a lot of pressure off of people, by giving us half charges to start, and the second half charges upon refresh. Extending these times and refreshes, to run on through the weekend and into a work day, is not ideal for anyone. Please take the time to review the extentions and refresh times/days. It would be such a QOL improvement, and alleviation to your playerbase.

• Raistlin0309
    Raistlin0309 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options

The biggest problem with events running into Monday is that it frustrates and alienates players that have jobs. Players that are more likely to contribute real money into the game.

If we need extra time, start the event early. At least then there is the weekend to catch up on charges.

I've said before, nobody wants to try and sneak off to the bathroom at work on Monday to try and "quickly" run through a couple charges. Especially with things like ATV bottom node, where literally every match is precious.

No one needs to lose their jobs over MTGPQ!

(Well, maybe if they want to keep up with GodsOfThero 😅 lol )

• Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

I didn't really have a problem with the event running into Monday. What I did have a problem with is starting two other events on Monday to compete with the ATV event for your time.

• camo
    camo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options

For me in eastern timezone, the coalition game has always been running into Monday at minimum. The biggest problem for me is the charging time only 8 hours, which make last charges charged around 6 hours before it ended. So I cannot do the last charges unless I wanna sleep 4 hours to play an optimal game then be sleepy at work or be late for work.

Please make the charging time 24 hours like Color of Magic, so last charge charged around 22 hours before event end.

And if you wanna make the event end on weekend, please consider weekend also exist in other timezone as well.

• Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think what we really need is predictability. And comfort.

I'm a huge fan of variation, but that doesn't mean things need to be unpredictable. That would only lead to nasty surprises, like "having" to play during the workday or setting alarms for last charges. If we know what to expect we can plan for it.

ATV was loved and hated at the same time, depending on who you ask. But the extra day of charges led to an unexpected side effect: players are now opting out just in case a surprise happens again. That can't be the goal, right?

So what we need is to clearly know, well upfront, what the schedule is (predictability). Last minute changes are more criticized that legacy PvP. And if any event is scheduled differently from earlier runs of the same event, it would only be helpful if Webcore pointed that out, loud and clear. And we need to be able to comfortably play the last charge of any event, no matter which timezone anyone is in (comfort).

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    edited November 2023
    Options

I totally agree @Opperstamper and would only add this: leaderboards of 300 (like the events & prizes were originally designed for) wouldn’t be nearly as painful as these ones of 3000.

It’s so very disheartening to place poorly that it’s easier on the ego to just not play at all.

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options

Working folks don't have time to post here; they're busy earning the money they spend on your game. If things aren't working out for them, you won't hear about it here; they'll just leave.
    They don't have time for weekday events, and they constitute the majority of your whales and dolphins.
    Don't piss off the working folks.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 337 Mover and Shaker
    Options

+1⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hey, folks!

Sorry for the delay, I had answered it in another post. The Harvesttide did not run through Monday nor was this ever the intention - it was a typo.

We heard your feedback on Coalition events not extending into workdays and took it into consideration. It doesn't mean we'll never ever run long events again but we'll certainly study it carefully so that those who work Mondays don't have a bad experience because of it or that it a rare occurrence. For now, they'll probably extend through weekend only.

Lu

• Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team said:
    Hey, folks!

Sorry for the delay, I had answered it in another post. The Harvesttide did not run through Monday nor was this ever the intention - it was a typo.

We heard your feedback on Coalition events not extending into workdays and took it into consideration. It doesn't mean we'll never ever run long events again but we'll certainly study it carefully so that those who work Mondays don't have a bad experience because of it or that it a rare occurrence. For now, they'll probably extend through weekend only.

Lu

Hello Lu or @Magic:PQ Support Team

OMAF this week has been scheduled from Friday to Monday. Is this another mistake? The usual schedule is Saturday 12 AM UTC to Sunday 10 PM UTC. Right now, it's scheduled for Friday 12 PM UTC to Monday 10 AM UTC.

• Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options

Wait, the mistake is even worse, according to the Sneak Peek, it's going to run from Sunday 12 PM UTC on December 10 to Tuesday 10 AM UTC on December 12
    @Magic:PQ Support Team

• Endbringer
    Endbringer Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think coalition events should start at the beginning of the week and end at the end of the week but reach an equal cap of possible progression for each person because everyone can't do them on the weekends if they have a life and the same goes for people during the weekdays. This way everyone gets a chance to complete their part of the event on their own time and nobody is forced to be present on specific days of the week and invest hours at a time to do their part and nobody is a let down for the coalition because they were busy.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Endbringer, this could make sense!
    I'll add it to the feedback so that our team can take it into consideration during the analysis of these changes.

Lu