Should pvp rewards be increased to tempt top players into top alliances?

Options

At this moment in time my alliance is sat in 3rd place for the season.
Anniversary season,where you would expect engagement to be higher.

I have seen posts in line rooms for t10 alliances needing players for quite some time. It used to be easy to get someone in,not anymore.

Our alliance has lost a few top players recently and we haven't been able to replace them,no-one wants to step up.
The rewards arent really that much different in pvp whether you are the top alliance (which we have been for probably most of the year in pvp)
When i took a2 yr break a short while ago pvp was king,scl10 wasn't even a concept.
When i returned lots had changed,scl10 was here and it became clear to me if i wanted to compete again pve was a lot more important than pvp.
Now pve was king.
Does pvp need an overhaul?

Engagement is definitely down and better rewards might entice players back and getting a top ranking as an alliance to be prestigious again.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I agree with you but I don't think this discussion will get very much traction here. This forum doesn't have many hardcore PvP players.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I agree with you but I don't think this discussion will get very much traction here. This forum doesn't have many hardcore PvP players.

I think that as suggested by this post, MPQ may not have all that many hardcore PVP players left, let alone this forum.

that being said, I have not really done high-end pvp since 2018 or 2019 beyond dabbling in the odd event here and there, so I am not in great position to opine.

Is the trouble finding players: (i) no one has good enough scores, or (ii) no one wants to commit to getting good scores 3x a week? My impression has been that the shift to defensive meta teams over the last few seasons, plus the implementation of wins-based prog rewards, has made PVP more of a slog and a little less predictable in terms of who is playing at what times. Would changing those factors (e.g., faster matches, more predictable scoring) solve the problem?

Overall, I would say that I not too keen on making alliance rewards any better as the whole alliance system is basically just the devs artifically increasing player engagement by means of social pressure (don't get me wrong, I have largely enjoyed interacting with the MPQ community over the years, but I do think the that alliance system and alliance rewards are mostly just a way for d3/bcs to get players to police each other into playing daily).

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That's entirely possible!

I do think that the way the top alliances play PvP is also profoundly un-fun, and that may have something to do with it too. I suspected for a long time that folks eventually would get sick of the friendly-with-everyone, 500-people-to-a-room, endless-cupcake stuff.