New zombie objective in RotGP

Options
Janosik
Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/89243/release-notes-6-3-0#latest

Changes and Fixes

Replaced objectives featured in Return of the God-Pharaoh, Tour de Ravnica and Routes of Ravnica.

Striker: Deal 20 or more damage during a single turn. -> Reanimator: Summon X (13) or more Zombies in a single fight.

What's this about?

I'm interested whose experience this decision is based on. If were existing complaints about this objective I've never heard any, so I wouldn't have thought they are widespread.

Comments

• Skurwyknator
    Skurwyknator Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2023
    Options

My take is that it might be connected with ideas about more set restricted events, for this objective the best approach is to use Amass mechanics that was introduced during that time, I think it's quite interesting to have some set-related objectives and not just boring 'draw x cards, gain x life, deal x damage'.

Secondly Webcore can have some ideas on their own, they are not limited to players wishes

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Skurwyknator said:
    My take is that it might be connected with ideas about more set restricted events, for this objective the best approach is to use Amass mechanics that was introduced during that time, I think it's quite interesting to have some set-related objectives and not just boring 'draw x cards, gain x life, deal x damage'.

Secondly Webcore can have some ideas on their own, they are not limited to players wishes

They can have the their ideas, and it would be interesting to hear from them how they come up with these changes.

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm not thrilled by this idea though, in particular regarding the fight against Nico Bolas. For years we've told new players that beating Bolas was all about not playing creatures. Even the new players could defeat the boss with a simple Chandra 1 burn deck (albeit it is a long and grueling fight), and even get full points for all objectives. I understand that a creatureless deck can still be used and the match can still be won but the new objective tries to steer players into playing zombies if they want the full points. And most of us know from experience that having any creature on the field during Bolas's turn is an almost fatal mistake.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I dont think every single aspect of this game needs to be completely accessible towards new players. I cant think of any other game where someone just starting out can expect to do everything a well established player can do right off the bat, but that seems to be the mentality with the player base for this game.

The fight is still doable without creatures, you just dont get full points. There is nothing wrong with missing 5 points, even in a coalition event. My fondest memory of this game was beating Tezz for the first time in Revolt Against the Consulate. I didnt get full points, didnt even try for it, but I did win. I wouldnt have that experience if everything was catered to the new player experience. If everything is for new players, what's the point of playing once you are no longer a new player?

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I agree @ambrosio191

• naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 447 Mover and Shaker
    Options

What are possible solutions?
    Lilijana deaths majesty, her 3rd at least 2 times to make it save and tainted adversary.

Test the talents and immortal sun to stop bolas from casting and using his abilities

A wizard class ral loop deck in combination with amass:
    Widespread brutality
    Beacon bolt for increasing damage
    Inspired ultimatum for cards and heal
    Wizard class (of course)

Check your library for your options

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,614 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@naabaldan - imminent doom is also worth considering. Combine that with cheap spells was a stable a few years ago.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options

If you're used to playing against Nicol Bolas with a creatureless Beacon Bolt deck, you can, of course, just shoot your own zombies as you're going along

• naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 447 Mover and Shaker
    Options

When the wizard class starts going it will not end in that turn until bolas is dead, so no need to kill your on zombies unless the loop can get stuck in the middle...