Is 5* Cyclops a LOT better than originally determined?

Options
Akoni
Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor

So, with a little salt and pepper, this foot in my mouth doesn't taste too bad.

I am one of the players who didn't care much for Sighclops when he first released. I wasn't as hateful as others, but I thought he could've been better. I thought he might be good if the rest of the Phoenix Five synched well with him.

Several months ago, I changed my mind about Sighclops when I realized his green power makes him a great support character for Shang-Chi. In addition, his yellow power further boosts Shang-Chi's match damage while also providing the rare extra match opportunity. His red power is garbage in this pairing. Even if Shang-Chi goes down due to a lack of green, red, and purple tiles (which does happen on occasion), my third is usually Mighty Thor so there is rarely a need for Sighclops' red.

Has anyone else changed their opinion about Sighclops? I can't be the only one considering the number of players I see using him in PvP.

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options

My usual Shang team is 5clops/valkyrie.

Cyclops green is still a bit expensive imo, but he's a great third for Shang.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That must be an MMR thing.
    I don't think I've seen a single Cyclops in the wild the last 12 months.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

He was ID’d as a shang support pretty much right away. Running him with half thor and pumping match damage through the roof is also a use for him.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I used to run shang, cyclops, onslaught in shield sim all the time. Very fun, lots of cascades.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't think the answer is a firm "yes" or "no."

5* cyclops isn't especially good. But he is not, and never has been, especially bad. His kit is a bit clunky and slow, but he does useful stuff (e.g., bump up match damage, cheap board shake, green stun).

I think his bad rep is a combination of: (1) coming out around the same time as two other 5*s who became a reliable meta pairing (colossus and 5witch); (2) releasing before his best available partner (shang chi) so that his overall value went up noticeably quite some time after the community's opinion crystalized; and (3) ending up with a clever/funny nickname (just like "carbage." the name is almost too good to abandon even if it is a bit of false advertising).

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I haven't seen him in PvP but I'm not surprised if he's being used -- he's a really, really good partner for Shang-Chi.

Someone should do a tier list of Shang-Chi partners.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I haven't seen him in PvP but I'm not surprised if he's being used -- he's a really, really good partner for Shang-Chi.

Someone should do a tier list of Shang-Chi partners.

Nothing beats onslaught or Mthor as Shang partners though there are so many in four star tier but order or priority would be good to do ;is daredevil listening ?

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There are a huge amount of characters pairing well with SC, so my opinion hasn't changed at all with him: he is a meh character and even boosted I don't choose him.
    Right now the partners for SC increased drastically with ascended 4s or 3s.
    Even cyclops 4 pairs well with SC.

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I always thought the dislike of Sighclops was overblown. I used him with Colossus and Switch quite a bit when they came out and Sighclops, Shang and Karnak is still one of my regular challenge node teams.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5* phoenix force 5 Namor needs to happen asap!!!! We really need to introduce the concept of affliation bonuses.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

There are a few affiliation bonuses already (Mbaku, Apocalypse, 5Xavier, 5Emma Frost, Teams Cap & IM, Luke Cage & Iron Fist etc etc) but yeah, more and more interesting, please.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Bad said:
    There are a huge amount of characters pairing well with SC, so my opinion hasn't changed at all with him: he is a meh character and even boosted I don't choose him.

Did I just read that you think SC is a meh character? I can understand not enjoying to play him (as he definitely isn't the fastest) but a meh character? Just making sure I read that right.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@Bad said:

Did I just read that you think SC is a meh character? I can understand not enjoying to play him (as he definitely isn't the fastest) but a meh character? Just making sure I read that right.

I read that as Bad saying Sighclops is a meh character, not SC.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

I have a level 455 cyclops and a 500 lev SC.
    Maybe that will answer your question.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:

@LavaManLee said:

I have a level 455 cyclops and a 500 lev SC.
    Maybe that will answer your question.

Got it! I read it several times and it read as if SC was a meh character. Totally agree with you in 5Cyclops.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Phumade said:
    5* phoenix force 5 Namor needs to happen asap!!!! We really need to introduce the concept of affliation bonuses.

They do have "affiliation bonuses" on some characters -- think Apocalypse's stun immunity or PX's damage reduction. I think those are the biggest, but there are a LOT of smaller ones that we all forget about.

I imagine they'd have to rework all the existing ones if they added some global affiliation bonus scheme.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Phumade said:

They do have "affiliation bonuses" on some characters -- think Apocalypse's stun immunity or PX's damage reduction. I think those are the biggest, but there are a LOT of smaller ones that we all forget about.

I imagine they'd have to rework all the existing ones if they added some global affiliation bonus scheme.

This feature dates back to at least 2016 and Team IM/Cap, right? They have just never done much with it (probably for the same reasons they don't have strict heroic events anymore: the player rosters are to varied to make it a good use of dev time).

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There are a few characters with it. The FF characters get it somehow, but nobody knows because nobody runs any of them on purpose.

Reminding myself of the Thor/cyclops pump and dump scheme makes me sad that Hell Ride doesn’t work like it used to all over again. Jacking up ghost rider to 600% nibble damage to fuel Sighclops was the most fun you could have with your head on fire…

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Phumade said:

This feature dates back to at least 2016 and Team IM/Cap, right? They have just never done much with it (probably for the same reasons they don't have strict heroic events anymore: the player rosters are to varied to make it a good use of dev time).

Yeah...I mean, they're also kind of bad at it. For whatever reason, characters that are affiliated in lore tend not to be compatible AT ALL in MPQ. Conversely, if you think about the best combos, they tend to be characters that have absolutely nothing in common.

One big problem is that they still sort of have a color pie (although it's more of a suggestion and they kind of break it all the time anyway), and affiliated characters often use the same colors.

If you look at the Civil War guys, it's actually a cool idea in theory! Version 1 of Cap and Iron Man got really big bonuses from their teammates. The problem was that almost none of their teammates were compatible with them in MPQ, neither Cap nor Iron Man were any good, and the best characters weren't part of either team.

• Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options

I love him
    The colossus/emma/cyclops vault earlier in the year was probably the 1st time i didnt mind not getting the 5 star i was pulling for