Kill on Sight!!!

Options
DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards

Who has a Bullseye on their head? Well OK, yes, Bullseye. Let me start again. Who do you target first in a match? Which characters need to be shut down faster than an Entrailbucket nerf Polaris rant? Credit for the idea for this thread goes to the good Dr. Clever from the Chasm nerf thread. In other words if you hate this thread it isn't my fault... don't target me!

Some off the top of my head

Mighty Thor - because she is a nightmare and nothing on the board is safe
Polaris - there is a reason she is the best 4* so much better that she is dead
Dr. Strange - I like to use my powers without a lightning bolt up the jacksie
Melinda May - healing & stun = no thank you
2* Black Widow - that AP is MINE! Ditto 3* She Hulk
Kitty - her purple is a nuisance and if there are enemy specials things will escalate
5* Deadpool - Penance Fare is nasty and relatively cheap and the AI LOVES firing it

I am sure there are plenty of others or maybe you have tactical reasons not to target somebody first - share and debate as you will! Also remember this thread is not intended to be an incitement to violence- be kind to people. Not Polaris though, kill her right away.

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,141 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

2* Black Widow - that AP is MINE! Ditto 3* She Hulk

The Hood has entered the chat...

If the AI knew how to use Shang Chi better, he would be #1 on the list. As it is, it's usually his teammates that I take out first because his increase in damage is usually caused by their cascades. Specifically, as you pointed out, Mighty Thor.

Profe$$or X and Onslaught are up there as well, because the "Oops, Match-4" extra damage and cascades leading to an incredible amount of damage.

If I don't have an AoE on the team, anyone that can turn invisible gets special treatment. Especially Yellowjacket, who doesn't have invisibility tiles to destroy.

4-star Rocket and Groot I leave until last, regardless of who their teammates are. They do their damage as soon as the match starts (Offer not valid with Chasm)

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

In addition to Jane:
    People who can fly around, like Vulture and KK.
    People who can stun.
    People who can go invisible.

In short, anyone who can cause chaos and mess up my plan.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you want to kill Kang, then kill his source of power.. Deathlok.

He just stands there collecting AP and increasing damage

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

If he's there then Green Goblin is one I tend to take out early so he's not fortifying countdowns.

Coulson tends to be better dealt with soonest too.

Is there anyone you target early but don't down?

With Adam W. around I tend to wear him down a bit to keep his match / passive damage more reasonable.

What about goons? I used to hate whichever one it is that has that purple AoE and even though it's not a problem any more I still react badly to their presence.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,744 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Peggy if I'm needing to actually fire powers.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 726 Critical Contributor
    Options

MThor over just about anyone - her cascade and self powering potential is a big pain and can easily flip matches around. Think only Polaris would take priority due to lower health.

Apoc is also annoying and an early target, if he can fire his yellow it can cause real headaches

Other 5s like Carnage, Bruce B and Kitty (if you have special time team) can be priority. 5 Deadpool to avoid Penance Fare as others noted

Switch > Colossus > Shang - get rid of the continual damage from Switch first. As others pointed out Shang in the AI hands is 95% of the time useless

Onslaught > Shang - similar, the Onslaught invisibility and cascades more of a pain than AI Shang

As others pointed out invisibility, flying, AP stealing people and chip damage (Omega Red) are also on the priority list.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

1) All high variance characters.

Where high variance means the expected battle result can vary from trivial (you win in a few moves with next to no health lost) to crazy hard (long battle, massive health loss potential game loss) based on random board cascades that are outside player control.

The MThors, Polaris's, Onslaughts, ProfXs (both of them), Jessica Jones, America Chavezs etc.

2) Passive AP Generators / Drainers

The Deathloks, Hoods, OBWs, Chasms, Gambits etc

3) Self sustaining Invisible / Airborne

Vulture, Yellowjacket

For me, the high variance characters are pretty much an auto skip until I can't queue anything else

KGB

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@sambrookjm said:

@DrClever said:

What about goons?

The ninjas that have caltrops are #1 on the list. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die.
    Close second are the Mutations, who do damage whenever a special tile is matched.

Before we have the characters we have now, I always dreaded those jerks. I personally always hate Thug and his 3-turn CD

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you're truly old-school you remember: always kill Storm first.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

4* Jean Grey, so I can make match-5s.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 795 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023
    Options

Only time I don't target mthor first is when she's paired with 5* Riri, gotta avoid that stun lock. Others I'll target first that haven't been mentioned are Mantis and America Chavez. Mantis has low health but doesn't take much to stun everyone and with AC, I wanna hunt the colors I need, not taste the rainbow. Hulk ME's green power(grand entrance) the tile swap to start each turn. Red Hulk's red power(seeing red) 1 turn cd tile for taking damage. And 3* Hulk's black power(anger) 1 turn cd tile. Matches with any of those Hulk's always test my patience.

On the flip side, anyone who can heal themselves or causes damage to themselves I save for last.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@WilliamK1983 said:
    Only time I don't target mthor first is when she's paired with 5* Riri

I still haven't made my mind up which way to go on that duo - and I'm not sure there even is a better order as the combination of free board shake and cheap stun is just dangerous from the off.

I generally still try and remove MThor first so I can control the board better but it's still a team that generates plenty of swearing.

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options

@DrClever said:

@WilliamK1983 said:
    Only time I don't target mthor first is when she's paired with 5* Riri

I still haven't made my mind up which way to go on that duo - and I'm not sure there even is a better order as the combination of free board shake and cheap stun is just dangerous from the off.

I generally still try and remove MThor first so I can control the board better but it's still a team that generates plenty of swearing.

I always target Riri first because one green stun gives them two free cascades and two matches to get 4 more green, and it just escalates once they stun you once. I stay away from that opponent unless they're worth a lot of points.