April Vaults bait and switch

I am chasing Shang-Chi and came into April with about 60k HP banked, so when I saw the Fool's Gold vault with the giant glob of 500 fave shards, I was pretty excited. That's an expected cost of 14700 HP per cover (3 40x pulls averaging 1000 shards)! What a deal!

Over the course of the next week and change, I converted most of my HP stash into SC covers, gaining 5. Not bad, the odds were in my favor.

A day or two after I cashed out, the Kama-Taj vault shows up with a mind-boggling rate of 6375 per cover! (5100HP to guarantee 400 shards.) Instead of 5 covers, I could have gained 5 at this incredible discount and still had enough HP left to consider paying the undiscounted 40x rate.

I guess I was the fool.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

How much did you spend in total and what did you get in reality?

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler

We were all thinking such vaults would never make a return Anyway good to have one

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker

@HoundofShadow said:
    How much did you spend in total and what did you get in reality?

Unfortunately, I don't track gain, just current.

I started April 1st with 57975 and when the dust settled on the 9th, I had 5 more SC covers (I was mistake in my op, the fifth was from a single run on the Kamar-Taj vault) and 3285 HP, a difference of 54690 plus the HP gained over the course of 10 days. That was an average of about 10938 per cover (nothing to sneeze at). (If we assume a gain of about 400HP per day, that was about 11738 per cover. 400HP/day is likely an undercount given that there was a 5* rotation and LL pulls.)

If I had waited and done 7 discounted 41x pulls for 5100HP each on the Kamar-Taj vault, I would have gained 5.6 covers for all of 35700 HP or 6375HP per cover. I'd have those 5 levels and and 26k HP in my "pocket". I expect inflation, but that's a big swing.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards

That's why I usually stay away from vaults that have like 80 items in them and hardly anything that's worth pulling for. For Fool's Gold I just did about a week of daily pulls and then took a chance and bought a 10 pack and was able to get the 500 5* shards and the legendary so I stopped and haven't pulled since. And for Kamar Taj that's the type of vault that I love to spend hp on.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards

Just to be clear, it is in no way a "Bait and Switch". That would be something like paying for SC shards and getting Rescue shards instead. This isn't that. Is it frustrating? Yep. But sales and vaults have always appeared, disappeared and changed so it's just bad luck.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

it said "fool's gold" right in the title too. j/s

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker
    edited April 2023

@dianetics said:
    This is why I compare every vault to the ani vault.

Both vaults are ok, but aare trash tier compared to the anni vault.

Fair. Do you recall the cost of pulls from that one? (100 items, 3 covers each of 3 5*s)

It looks like it's 40x for 9800 and 10x for 2800 so an expected return of 8400HP for the target 5* (and potentially 2 other awesome 5* covers). To me, it really depends on the other covers in the vault. Especially against the guaranteed return of the Kamar-Taj vault.