Consensus on best Kang build?

Options

I just changed 5* Kang and was wondering what you all thought was the best build for him?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5/3/5 since his blue is game-ending.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@dianetics said:
    Why not run him 454 if your wanting to work the blue?

I guess the difference is how people are using the blue. As a pocket stun 5 covers helps as it disables the enemy longer. But if you are just saving up to triple cast and win then 3 covers is plenty.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes, 5/4/4 is my pick.

Black is devestating if you run him in pick-2 or boosted in pvp. You need 4 in purple to get max benefit as a battery. And that leaves 4 for blue. I think this is the best build.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I run X/5/X depending on team comp. Both black and purple are good powers. Kang isn't like some other guys where there's clearly One Best Build.

The beauty of championing is that you can change the cover spread whenever you want.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

4/5/4 to me

You may not often need the extra Away turn, but I've experienced enough battles where I needed that extra turn. However, I send enemies as soon as I earn 9 blue AP, whereas other players send all 3 away at the same time

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

3/5/5 if you use him with Apocalypse (Thor Odinson optional).
    5/5/3 if you use him with Shang.
    5/3/5 if you use him with IM40 + Hawkeye and just stockpile 27 Blue AP, or if you ever use him 1v1.

Personally i don’t see why Blue should ever be at 4. What’s the point of the compromise? If Blue is not at 5, you might as well just put it at 3.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    3/5/5 if you use him with Apocalypse (Thor Odinson optional).
    5/5/3 if you use him with Shang.
    5/3/5 if you use him with IM40 + Hawkeye and just stockpile 27 Blue AP, or if you ever use him 1v1.

Personally i don’t see why Blue should ever be at 4. What’s the point of the compromise? If Blue is not at 5, you might as well just put it at 3.

Actually, I agree with the bolded and am changing my answer after looking at him more closely. Since I don't like swapping my builds around often, I think I'm settling on 5/3/5. Black is too good to lower damage-wise, and while I haven't found a great use for his purple, the difference between 3 and 4 covers on blue is only 192 damage per turn away. Basically nothing. You get the same number of turns away.

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options

As someone who had one of IM’s CDs matched away while running Kang 5/4/4 and missed points during a grind as a result, I’m going 4/5/4 for PvE vs tile movers and 5/4/4 for all other PvE and all PvP. I might stay with 4/5/4 for certain PvPs like Sim. The board that cost me was devoid of blue and I didn’t have enough time to recast IMs yellow.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options

If the board has no blue or if a yellow CD gets matched, I’ll usually just restart. Waiting to recast yellow takes too long since IM is stunned for 2 turns after the first wave of CDs resolves.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Actually, I agree with the bolded and am changing my answer after looking at him more closely. Since I don't like swapping my builds around often, I think I'm settling on 5/3/5. Black is too good to lower damage-wise, and while I haven't found a great use for his purple, the difference between 3 and 4 covers on blue is only 192 damage per turn away. Basically nothing. You get the same number of turns away.

His purple can function as a finisher, but some set up is required. I been using HE-Gargantos-Kang in sims, and purple give me different options to end the game.

From the picture, you see that I dealt around 26k with CD along. I have Gargantos going invisible, and producing 2 CD (1 turn each). I then cast HE red (3 turn) on the board. I sent opponent chasm away using Kang blue (3 turn). Using Kang purple, he increases all CD by 1 turn, and then deal damage. That’s 15 turns, and I dealt 26k damage, which is similar in terms of ap output from his black.

there are also other variations you can do. I have games which I use Kang blue twice to send 2 characters away, leaving 2x 3 turn CD. I cast HE red, leaving a 3-turn CD. If you use Kang purple, then it will up the CD turns to 12 and that’s 21k dmg. Again, not too bad.