Views and opinions on the MPQ Grapevine

Options
System
System Posts: 1,024 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: The MPQ Grapevine: April 2023 Edition.

Comments

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 713 Critical Contributor
    Options

Not a bad solution to all the information issues. I like this.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah. Honestly don't want this to take away from what the Mods are trying to do (thank you) but this is next level bonkers in my opinion.

I didn't get to battle any Jeffrey's either. Look at this:

That was on Facebook. Taco Tuesday...except if you played on Monday apparently NOT Taco Tuesday.

Facebook information would appear to be trash!

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah outstanding, timely, not at all confusing communication, once again.

Come on devs, do better.

• AdeptusRevolt
    AdeptusRevolt Posts: 85 Match Maker
    edited April 2023
    Options

why not just get an RSS feed from twitter/facebook/instagram and put it in the sidebar of the site?
    Or set it up to auto-post?

My take is the issue is the marketing/social media team is not the community team (which is mostly volunteer) which is also not the producer/dev.

Discord/reddit get info from the producer/dev who happen to hang out there. Kind of like getting updates from talking with co-workers at the water cooler (hey, I heard we're going to close the Acme account soon) or people in the know at some off-site location like a common hangout. Note that it is never new character info that comes out this way, more clarifications "this was intended/this wasn't intended", "discussions are going on about issue" etc.

Marketing gets approval and the charge to "get engagement" and so gets earlier approval to share images and promotions to "generate buzz". Being a licensed property, things need to go through approvals, and these are higher priority and have less detail... so there's less info that might be "corrected". For example - cute shark will be a new character! Plaster it on social media! His stats? Well if we post them today, they might shift a bit tomorrow. Plus, writing all that out in Markdown is not as easy as slapping jpegs on Facebook feeds.

Finally, the community management "team" - they may not be in the literal basement as in Mythic Quest but probably one employee and volunteers, who since they are charged with managing "them that are already got" don't get priority approvals to post the information they might happen to know, if someone remembered to tell them. (No offense to Sokun et al, I just know some of the pain).

Just how I've seen it play out in other efforts I've been involved with or witnessed.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I appreciate what they are trying to do with the game, but communication is definitely NOT the strong suit of Broken Circle.

The latest example: Why was no information sent out about Jeff in DDQ and for people not to play the nodes early if they wanted to battle Jeff?

It's like the people creating the game forget (or don't) tell the people doing communication what they have actually done. So nothing gets passed to us (the gamers) to make proper decisions.

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 104 Tile Toppler
    Options

This feels like a manual solution, but a reasonably codified one. I appreciate the effort and look forward to seeing it in action.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options

This seems like a good temporary solution for a problem that should ultimately be fixable. I’m grateful to whoever thought of this!

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options

Ha ha ha ... and you guys used to heap so much praise on Broken Circle for their great communication compared to the previous crew.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@killahKlown said:
    Ha ha ha ... and you guys used to heap so much praise on Broken Circle for their great communication compared to the previous crew.

They put the shark in the corner. Nobody puts the shark in the corner.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I almost can hear them talking:
    "Those spoiled guys from the official forum! They are too critics and even worse, they almost instantly notice any typo!
    It's better to post the info in Facebook, at least in there everyone is a hater and it's not needed to read the comments.
    Or post it on reddit or on discord, they are nicer and even they buy beers when they are happy with the news".

• DAZ0273
    Options

So we get to be the villains then. You should enjoy that @Bad!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

the nature of this game is always that it is going to have a skeleton dev crew. All live ops games are a game of fluid, realtime return on investment. It was long my suspicion they were going to come in hard with their exploratory team, then taper off to a team that can be supported by the game. a community manager position is very unlikely to be somebody who is ONLY charged with doing that at this point in the game's lifecycle. Maybe it's a producer who is doing it as a tertiary hat they are wearing, maybe it's an intern, who knows. but it's a cost, and at some point you have to figure if it's "needed" or not. I would bet that as much as the 9 of us on the forum would like it to matter, it probably doesn't in the grand scheme of things.

• DAZ0273
    Options

Wait there are 9 of us now?!?!? Our numbers are going up!

• DAZ0273
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    the nature of this game is always that it is going to have a skeleton dev crew. All live ops games are a game of fluid, realtime return on investment. It was long my suspicion they were going to come in hard with their exploratory team, then taper off to a team that can be supported by the game. a community manager position is very unlikely to be somebody who is ONLY charged with doing that at this point in the game's lifecycle. Maybe it's a producer who is doing it as a tertiary hat they are wearing, maybe it's an intern, who knows. but it's a cost, and at some point you have to figure if it's "needed" or not. I would bet that as much as the 9 of us on the forum would like it to matter, it probably doesn't in the grand scheme of things.

Here's the thing - I do agree with you 100% but this whole thing must have taken up time, cost and invention/brainstorming so for it to be dead on arrival if you have limited resources - well if it was my baby I would be pretty annoyed. We haven't even really addressed the most head scratching part either. If you are going to do something with Crash of the Titans which you redesigned to be a Monday oriented event why would you not schedule your event to be on a Monday?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Here's the thing - I do agree with you 100% but this whole thing must have taken up time, cost and invention/brainstorming so for it to be dead on arrival if you have limited resources - well if it was my baby I would be pretty annoyed. We haven't even really addressed the most head scratching part either. If you are going to do something with Crash of the Titans which you redesigned to be a Monday oriented event why would you not schedule your event to be on a Monday?

Because it's taco TUESDAYS, d'oh.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Because it's taco TUESDAYS, d'oh.

Ah, yes, I didn't think of that! Nothing to see here.