Thanks for the new stuff, but PLEASE fix game-breaking components!

Machine
Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
edited March 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Hi @Oktagon_Support ,

I would like to get some attention for all the great work you are putting into this game. At the same time, I would really like you to put some extra effort in taking time to fix things that cause game-breaking situations.

Today I lost my streak of 26 perfect events in a row due to a softlock. Yes, a HALF YEAR of non stop perfect scores during team events. I wanted to go down in a blazing ball of fire against an awesome deck kicking my behind, or the AI having one of his infamous mega cascades, or a bit less cool, making a mistake by myself. But NOT in this way... where the game locks up and becomes unresponsive. The culprit is something that is known by lots of players, namely seed gems and cards related to them. We tell the players in our alliance to not play them during team events so we don't mess up other players matches, just because the development team is not taking the time to sort this stuff out. I'm member of one of the top 10 teams and playing to our fullest potential is very important. Tripping over a lock like this is very demotivating and outrageous. Please fix these game-breaking cards and / or mechanics. It's detrimental to your game, our game.

I've attached two files that shows that an element token is being displayed, stays on the screen and the game stops responding. After a while, the LPS kicks in, but nothing happens. I think this could have been solved by forcing the end the turn after the LPS kicked in and switch the turn back to the player.

I see a lot of other stuff being mentioned in the bug report section that have been under investigation for months without any resolution, while players are almost always able to provide precise feedback, often with videos as proof. I guess you are trying to find a balance in how to use your time, but stuff that breaks your game should have your FULL attention. What's the point in playing a game that doesn't work?

Thanks for taking your time to read this. I hope you will take a bit more time to respond to this and convey your thoughts about this subject.

Comments

• BadHippo
    BadHippo Posts: 3 Just Dropped In

I agree with Machine. This is a great game, but these bugs are very frustrating for competitive players. Losing a streak of 26 perfect events due to a known and reported bug is just painful. Or losing a top 2 or top 10 place for your coalition. Please guys, try to fix these bugs, I believe they are the main threat to the continued success of this game.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker

One particular bugbear of many players at the moment is what we call the 0:55 bug: a hard crash to the phone's OS that happens during gameplay at 5 minutes to the hour. This is a 'relatively' new bug, in that it's months old but it never used to happen in previous years

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/88038/55-bug-hard-crashes-game#latest

This weekend the bug seems to be hitting at :25 minutes past the hour as well.

This smells to a lot of us like a problem caused by a scheduled server reboot

• Machine

@Janosik said:
    One particular bugbear of many players at the moment is what we call the 0:55 bug: a hard crash to the phone's OS that happens during gameplay at 5 minutes to the hour. This is a 'relatively' new bug, in that it's months old but it never used to happen in previous years

Yes, this seems to be an increasing issue as well. One of my team mates got his by this bug during the team event. I've encountered this bug too. Luckily not during a team event. Very annoying.

• Janosik

@Janosik said:

3 separate reports have just come in on my Discord of this bug happening at xx:35 today

I can think of 2 reasons this might be. Maybe the crash just happens completely randomly. But maybe Oktagon have moved the server reset to a different time? If it's the latter, please do not do this! If we know when it's happening, at least we can play around it!

If it happens at unpredictable times, then we'd appreciate it if you'd let us know. But if it happens at predictable times, then we'd appreciate it if you left those times fixed so that we CAN predict it.

While it seems unlikely that you'd tell us openly here any details of this bug, I thought it was worth letting you this information about how it's affecting players so you can act on it.

Losing points and prizes to connection issues has always been demoralizing, and the effect of this new app crash is just to increase that feeling. (When you reduced the amount of prizes that everyone received for events, you might think that the effect was to reduce the irritation we felt at missing out on prizes, but really it increased that feeling across the board)

@Oktagon_Support

• Machine

@Janosik said:

@Janosik said:

3 separate reports have just come in on my Discord of this bug happening at xx:35 today

I can think of 2 reasons this might be. Maybe the crash just happens completely randomly. But maybe Oktagon have moved the server reset to a different time? If it's the latter, please do not do this! If we know when it's happening, at least we can play around it!

If it happens at unpredictable times, then we'd appreciate it if you'd let us know. But if it happens at predictable times, then we'd appreciate it if you left those times fixed so that we CAN predict it.

While it seems unlikely that you'd tell us openly here any details of this bug, I thought it was worth letting you this information about how it's affecting players so you can act on it.

Losing points and prizes to connection issues has always been demoralizing, and the effect of this new app crash is just to increase that feeling. (When you reduced the amount of prizes that everyone received for events, you might think that the effect was to reduce the irritation we felt at missing out on prizes, but really it increased that feeling across the board)

@Oktagon_Support

Indeed! I had a complete app closure yesterday at xx:35 hours. It surprised me a bit, as I am trying to keep this into consideration whenever it is close to xx:55 hours. Please keep us informed!

• Janosik
    edited May 2023

4 of us just had an app crash at 16:33 today. We know this because we all immediately went to our Discord to report it.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Competition is meaningless when the largest factor separating coalition scores is the app crashing at random; and support never compensates us adequately for our losses, merely bumping us up one bracket up the leaderboard, even if this loss sent us from the top bracket to near the bottom.

@Oktagon_Support FIX YOUR APP

--

[edit] 2 more reports just came in. that's 6 of us crashing at the same time.

One player reports the crash at 16:34, which might mean the crash didn't happen at exactly the same time, or it might just mean that our device clocks are not 100% in sync.

• ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 206 Tile Toppler

@Janosik said:

@Janosik said:

@Oktagon_Support

The crash seems to be related to some data push into the app. The crash happening at :35 occurred once more today, when Octagon pushed the Flbthp event into the game.

We also had it when they pushed the Free mythic+ booster.

I suppose that the :55 to :05 is related to some routine relative to events popping up/concluding too.

• Janosik
    edited May 2023

@ertaii said:

The crash seems to be related to some data push into the app. The crash happening at :35 occurred once more today, when Octagon pushed the Flbthp event into the game.

I suppose that the :55 to :05 is related to some routine relative to events popping up/concluding too.

It does seem like it could be related to the Fblthp event?

However, The Fblthp event was added to my app some time before the crash happened. I'd played, and won, one game in the Fblthp event perhaps an hour before the app crashed as I was playing a game in The Harvesttide

[edit] In fact, one of the players who reported a crash today was actually playing a game in the Fblthp event at the time the crash happened

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

We just had six people crash at :33 past the hour (in various time zones, but simultaneously). This is ridiculous.

• ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 206 Tile Toppler

@Janosik said:

@ertaii said:

It does seem like it could be related to the Fblthp event?

However, The Fblthp event was added to my app some time before the crash happened. I'd played, and won, one game in the Fblthp event perhaps an hour before the app crashed as I was playing a game in The Harvesttide

[edit] In fact, one of the players who reported a crash today was actually playing a game in the Fblthp event at the time the crash happened

So that maybe a false lead... Sorry guys

• Machine

False lead or not, at least the community is trying to figure it out. We don't hear anything from Oktagon. Any response here would be appreciated.

• Janosik

This happened again around the time that the MOM release happened; multiple players having their phone crash to the OS screen at the same time.

It did not happen during a weekend coalition event this time, which is good! Unfortunately it happened during Colors of Magic, an event with a good prize for the top of the leaderboard (a non-dupe PMA pack worth 250c!)... some players lost a game when the app crashed, and as we know, compensation offered by customer support will never cover their loss (since they will only ever bump you one bracket up the leaderboard as compensation).

In future please only schedule updates during events with unlimited charges like Fateful Showdown or events nobody cares about with terrible prizes like Nodes of Power.

Or, I dunno, maybe you could fix the bug? People do, I hear. Sometimes I see software companies fix bugs. Crazy, right?